I wanna use the blackberry maps with GPS but I'm not sure of the cost...this is my very 1st blackberry and I only got it 2 days ago...I have unlimited internet on my student plan and I am with Bell . How does the GPS work? I would call bell but it is the long weekend...and I cant get anyone on the phon
    08-31-08 01:33 PM
    If you have unlimited internet access, there should be no additional cost to using the internal GPS with BlackBerry Maps. The GPS will not use your data plan, but BBMaps will need internet access to download maps.

If you want a technical explanation of how GPS works, you can google it. If you are talking from a BlackBerry perspective, go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS , set the GPS Data Source to Internal, and GPS Services to Location On. In BlackBerry Maps / Options / GPS Source, select Internal.

Go outside. With a clear view of the sky, run BBMaps, and it should find 8-11 satellites and show you your location to within 20 feet or so.
    08-31-08 04:59 PM
    Jeff,
    do you know how much data transfer is involved in navigating? I have unlimited data in the UK but travel to Spain a lot..
    I know this is a difficult question to answer but wondered as you're so knowledgeable if there is a way of getting a guestimate.
    Thanks
    Ram
    08-31-08 05:40 PM
    Try out google maps as well. It works great with GPS on my pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-08 06:37 PM
    Jeff,
    do you know how much data transfer is involved in navigating? I have unlimited data in the UK but travel to Spain a lot..
    I know this is a difficult question to answer but wondered as you're so knowledgeable if there is a way of getting a guestimate.
    Thanks
    Ram
    You can make your own estimate, then it'll be more applicable to your mode of operation. Download Google Maps. Zoom in to whatever level you choose. Then start scrolling around. You'll see the data transfer counter start to increase. It will continue to go up as you move. If you scroll the maps to approximate a typical distance you might travel, that'll give you a reasonable estimate.
    08-31-08 07:27 PM
    If you have unlimited internet access, there should be no additional cost to using the internal GPS with BlackBerry Maps. The GPS will not use your data plan, but BBMaps will need internet access to download maps.

If you want a technical explanation of how GPS works, you can google it. If you are talking from a BlackBerry perspective, go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS , set the GPS Data Source to Internal, and GPS Services to Location On. In BlackBerry Maps / Options / GPS Source, select Internal.

Go outside. With a clear view of the sky, run BBMaps, and it should find 8-11 satellites and show you your location to within 20 feet or so.
    go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS , set the GPS Data Source to Internal, and GPS Services to Location On.
    I am trying to i navigate this but my blackberry states GPS Source=None
    When i hi-light it to change it wont let me, any ideas??
    In advanced options data source says Device GPS, location on.
    I cannot change the device GPS to internal?

Thanks in advance for your help !
    08-31-08 07:39 PM
    08-31-08 07:58 PM
    go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS , set the GPS Data Source to Internal, and GPS Services to Location On.
    I am trying to i navigate this but my blackberry states GPS Source=None
    When i hi-light it to change it wont let me, any ideas??
    In advanced options data source says Device GPS, location on.
    I cannot change the device GPS to internal?

Thanks in advance for your help !
    Sorry, you can't use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8330. Verizon disables the internal GPS for all 3rd party apps. You can only use the internal GPS with VZNav. Verizon users have to use an external GPS puck, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000 that I use.
    08-31-08 09:28 PM
    Sorry, you can't use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8330. Verizon disables the internal GPS for all 3rd party apps. You can only use the internal GPS with VZNav. Verizon users have to use an external GPS puck, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000 that I use.
    Can you say class action suit......
    08-31-08 09:58 PM
    It's been said a lot. There're several Verizon GPS threads in the forums. The most informative (and longest) is here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    08-31-08 11:10 PM
    As for GPS on the bell network, they will charge you 10 a month or 3 per use. That is for their service offered with the software pre loaded.

I use googlemaps and there are no extra charges with my unlimited data plan.

Those prices are as of 3 months ago when I got my pearl

Hope it gelps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD