Can anyone tell me if the blackberry pearl is a PDA? I have been told that it is and that it is not!

HELP!
    02-12-08 09:23 AM
    The Pearl DOES have a contact/address book, calendar, tasks, like the Palm PDAs, but it definitely does not have the Palm software, which is what makes the PDAs very simple to use.
    02-12-08 09:38 AM
    mah pearl has all of those
    02-12-08 09:52 AM
    @Crystalryan:

I'm new to blackberry devices, but I've had PDAs and smartphones for a while now, and I think the confusion comes from how you define a PDA and differentiate it from a "smartphone" or a "cell phone".

The lines are getting pretty blurry nowadays, with "cell phones" that track appointments, and even mobile "concierge" services that allow people with "regular" cell phones (and a lot of disposable cash) to keep track of meetings and important dates, make travel arrangements, etc. with their cell phones.

With the Pearl, my snap opinion is that the inclusion of PIM software capable of being synced and backed up with desktop computer software makes it a "Personal Digital Assistant". The Task manager and memo functions only reinforce this...

Bottom line (for now): It may not know how much cream and sugar you like in your cup of joe, but it will remind you when your wife's birthday is coming up, so IMHO: it's a PDA.

EDIT: Of course, my gf's Razr can also remind her when MY birthday is coming up... I think... so... MEH, quit asking difficult questions so late at night!
    Last edited by DrKane; 02-12-08 at 10:06 AM.
    02-12-08 09:57 AM
    pda? it's my friend.
    02-12-08 10:39 AM
    why you gotta pigeon hole everything?

where's the love?

-db
    02-12-08 10:43 AM
    lol

barry's my lover
    02-12-08 03:33 PM
    There are cell phones, PDA's, and smartphones. Then there's the BlackBerry. In a class of it's own - like no other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-08 03:46 PM
    My specific question is can I download a program on my computer and then plug my phone into my computer and put it on my phone? The program requireds a PDA capabilities.
    02-12-08 04:08 PM
    What is the name of the program? It should say BB compatible but depends on the software.

02-12-08 04:23 PM
    Orle8050! Thanks for your response! I never noticed anything to say BB compatible before. I really read all the fine points and found my answer!!! Whot Whot!!
    02-12-08 04:57 PM
    Welcome Aboard!!!!
    03-04-08 03:46 PM
    good answers
    03-04-08 04:08 PM
    I think it makes a great PDA personally but define PDA, then we can compare...

88 would probably be a better PDA than an 81...

03-04-08 04:55 PM
    Smartphone doesn't do it justice either... GeniusPhone?
    03-04-08 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD