I have used Palms for 10+ years - presently a Treo 755P - but Palm is becoming careless and less concerned about the product and the users... and that BB Storm is just so tempting! When I can get my paws on one I will decide - it would be a major change after all these years! Meanwhile, happy to find this web site and this forum!
    11-03-08 04:47 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 07:20 PM
    I did the same thing friend. Welcome to CB. I don't even miss my treo, not when you have the power of a blackberry.

11-03-08 07:21 PM
    LOL, up until not too long ago I was still using my PALM IIIxe organizer and a cellphone. I was actually on my old Palm today looking up some old password info.

You'll like the Blackberry, solid and stable.

Welcome to a very big and willing to help Crackberry community.

11-03-08 07:27 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!

11-03-08 07:41 PM
    Welcome to CB - you'll love the Blackberry phones - they know how to make a good PDA phone! :-) Enjoy!
    11-03-08 08:31 PM
    I switched from the Palm TX and have never looked back. Welcome to CB!
    11-03-08 08:57 PM
    I went from a 755p to a Centro to a Pearl and now a Curve - I will never go back to Palm. No more hard resets, no more issues with it going into hot sync mode... I don't miss Palm at all, and I doubt you will.
    11-03-08 09:18 PM
    I guess I am in the same boat.

I have been using my Palm Centro for about 3 months now. I have an opportunity to trade it for a new Curve. I can get the 8320 or 8310, but seing as I already have a Freedom GPS puck for my centro, I'll likely get the 8320 with WIFI, to save on data plan. (And then the 8900 when it comes out, and sell my puck).

I really like the Curve build, feel, size, and keyboard. While I won't miss the instability of my Palm, I am worried about missing it's PIM, and Outlook synchronization.

I sync my Centro to Outlook 2007. I make heavy use of categories. Generally the sync is ok, though dups are common. But basically, when it works, it is 1:1 feature wise with outlook.

When briefly playing with a curve, I notice that there are categories, but not for calendar appointments! Can someone comment on how well the BB syncs with outlook? My biggest fear is that the desktop/handheld syncing won't be that great.

Is there any other PIM things that I miss. I really do use the 4 palm PIM items fairly heavily, and keep them sorted by category: Memo,Tasks,Calendar,Contacts.

Is it quick to navigate to tasks/memo/contacts? The hard keys on a palm dev are nice.

Thanks for the info.
    ~S
    11-04-08 07:48 AM
    What a nice welcome! I've been sniffing around... I find that many Palm users have made this transition before me, and that two of my critical apps - SplashID and Pocket Express - are available for the BB... good news! Only one, Datebk6 is not. I certainly will miss that - but something else will turn up I'm sure. I started my online life in the old HP LX forums. When HP abandoned that great little handheld we all thought we'd die... nope! Went to Handspring/Palm. Change is good - stretches the brain... just a little period of withdrawal... ... as I recall!
    11-04-08 08:40 AM
    Welcome... same here. I made the move as well.

Lowtech: keep in mind: software considerations make the ports somewhat different. The SplashWallet suite for Palm is a tad different from the BB port, but I still like the components. I relied HEAVILY on SplashID and SplashMoney, but I have done without them on BB to date.

I missed Datebk6 immensely... but with Google Calendar and RTM, I have it covered. A couple of other folks use Agendus, and I hear Pocket is god as well.
    11-04-08 09:01 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! I hope you make the decision to switch! I know you'll be satisfied!

11-04-08 09:44 AM
    I was a Palm user for 8+ years before switching to BB Curve 8330, most recenlty, a Palm TX. It has been a wonderful transition and see no reason to ever go back. Even going from Palm Desktop to Outlook hasn't been bad.

I'd also like to know how to set categories on the calendar to show up on the BB if anyone has an answer to that.
    11-04-08 10:01 AM
    I have written outlook plugins in the past. My plan for calendar categories is to put "tag:family", "tag:bill", "tag:work", in the notes of the appointment. Then have my outlook plugin search for the "tag:" and set the category appropriately. Plugin would have to be run after every sync. I think I could live with this, though it would be nice if I could sort and search by category on BB. But I am thinking, I could just do a calendar searcon (on device), and search for "tag:work".

To the Ex Palmers who have spoken up: What did you miss? Are you saying the PIM is just as good?

~S
    11-04-08 10:16 AM
    What did you miss? ~S
    I'm on a Treo 755p, waiting to evaluate the Storm. From what I've read, the biggest item I'm going to miss is how the Treo's truly thread text messages.
    11-04-08 10:50 AM
    Why wait? Get a bold or curve in the meantime.

11-04-08 10:52 AM
    I really only use SMS to send messages, not for conversations, so I won't miss that much.

~S
    11-04-08 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD