Welcome to CB. The place where Blackberry addicts hang out!!!
    01-17-09 06:57 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    01-17-09 08:09 PM
    Hi Becky. You should be able to go directly to the BB bolt-on. Or is this a problem with what the website will offer you? Go with the standard BIS Blackberry plan which offers unlimited flat rate (200MBytes fair use). The PAYG Blackberry scheme is OK for those who only take the phone out occasionally when they travel, not daily users.

In your previous post...
    Unlimited - just don't go silly with it. In real use you should be able to do almost anything you want on your Blackberry, without worrying about it. Although 200MB doesn't sound like much it's a 'fair use' thing so you would probably get away with the occasional overshoot, and it's a lot more phone data than you think because BB data is compressed. I will be surprised if you use more than about 50MB in most months, and even that will take some effort.

The main thing to avoid is using your phone as a modem for your computer - Don't Do That on O2 because it will cost you more even if you don't reach 200MB.

Oh, and swapping SIM can be a bit confusing on the data side. The easy solution is to run the second SIM as phone-only, and let the data wait until you put the main SIM back. However I predict you won't be happy with this, and once the Blackberry bug bites and any spare credit is used I think you will keep the BB/data sim in there almost all the time.
    Yeah! the website doesn't show that option so I'm going to phone up after I get the SIM and I don't take my laptop out often so that will be fine.

Ha, I figured after it took about 5 minutes to boot up. If only they had 2 sim slots like some phones do.

Oh and thanks branta. I emailed the previous user and he said he hadn't set anything up and only used the phone for text & calls so that should be fine.

Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate it! I would have totally phailed at this.
    01-18-09 05:04 AM
    I think you have done very well Becca!

The previous user didn't use his blackberry for email! When a Blackberry isn't a Blackberry eh?
    01-18-09 07:41 AM
    OK here's the info you'll need to setup your phone on O2 with push email and all the Blackberry functionality.

You'll find most of the info you need in http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/. Lecture 11 is the most useful for the online setup, but if you have a few minutes scan through all of them so you know where to look in the future.

From your PC, go to the O2 BIS website,
    https://bis.eu.blackberry.com/html?brand=o2mailuk
    (You can also do this from the phone but it's easier on a big screen)

You will need the phone's IMEI and PIN. Remove the battery and look on the label, or from the phone's Home screen hold Alt and press EACE. You will also need to think of your choice of login username and password for the website. Make your new login and configure the server to pickup your (existing) preferred email account(s). The service is able to handle upto 10 internet mailboxes.

Then setup the new email which is part of the O2 Blackberry service. You can do this later if you like but you might as well grab a good username while its free. (Note - I recommend NOT publishing the phone's direct email to anyone unless you really trust them. If the spammers get it you have a big problem)

When you have completed this the website should send Service Books and phone will set itself up. Go Play

Feel free to introduce yourself in one of the UK user threads in the Socail message board. This one http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/users-uk-87206/ seems to be fairly active.

When the O2 setup is done you also have access to BlackBerry Messenger (PIN messages). This is like an extended mix of IM and SMS but it uses BB data (effectively free) instead of costing against your SMS allowance but it only works to other BlackBerry devices. One warning - Don't publish your PIN in forum profile or messages here unless you want to see random pictures of some guy's bits. You're young and female, which means Perv Magnet. Let them ask you for it by PM or email, and you decide whether you want the contact.
    01-18-09 07:49 AM
    I think you have done very well Becca!

The previous user didn't use his blackberry for email! When a Blackberry isn't a Blackberry eh?
    I know right.. what was he thinking.. his texts were hilarious as well. Silly man didn't delete anything

I'll set everything up in 16 days =( When I'm 18 and old enough for the contract. The waiting part SUCKS big time...

And @ branta... LOL at the guy bits. Haha thanks for the tip.

p.s here's my bery cute bb!! it's like a pinkish maroon red. i still need to update the os because there's like a missing picture?? which is probably because the phone's os is old.... maybe? but yeah.. i have a macbook so i'll have to wait until i get to a friends house or something =(

Last edited by Beccaberry; 01-19-09 at 12:25 PM.
    01-19-09 11:52 AM
    Wow Becca that colour is amazing ! ... And this was a guys phone ... He has taste lol. Glad you went with a contract! BB arnt made for payg lol. I had the same problem I'm not 18 for another couple of months so I begged my dad to put it in his name! I had to have my curve.

Any questions give us a yell!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 01:22 PM
    Wow Becca that colour is amazing ! ... And this was a guys phone ... He has taste lol. Glad you went with a contract! BB arnt made for payg lol. I had the same problem I'm not 18 for another couple of months so I begged my dad to put it in his name! I had to have my curve.

Any questions give us a yell!

i bought a new casing for it!!
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH imagine if his phone was like that o_O

Oh I just found out the guy DID have his bis set up but I think it came set up with the phone as he probably had a data plan.. and he doesnt know his password.. or username.. and told me that he clicked on forget password and that it was sent to the blackberry... it obviously wasn't.... I just told him to phone up his service provider to cancel it but I don't know if he will =(

At the moment I've just paid for the 5 day web'n'walk pass on the payt t-mobile thing. It will do for now to surf the web and stuff on the buses.
    01-19-09 03:30 PM
    Rrr tbh that guy would be a legend if he had your bb in that colour lol! But I suppose it was blonde of me to think that it wasn't a case haha nm!
    Sounds like your a crackberry addict already! You go girl!

01-19-09 03:39 PM
    Haha I think I am already too. I get addicted to gadgets easily. Ahhh this embarassing but I'm on the toilet haha o dear..... Just thought I'd try out the browser. X

01-19-09 03:47 PM
    i still need to update the os because there's like a missing picture?? which is probably because the phone's os is old.... maybe? but yeah.. i have a macbook so i'll have to wait until i get to a friends house or something =(
    I think you should wait on the OS upgrade. A few icons will be missing and a lot of things don't work until the phone is fully enabled. Get the data service working first, and see what gets fixed when Service Books roll in. Then think about software upgrades.

I just told him to phone up his service provider to cancel it but I don't know if he will =(
    I hope he does, and so far he's given you a good deal. If he doesn't your service provider should be able to take the problem to RIM and have them reset the database. However it takes time to persuade them to do it, and you'll probably need to have evidence you are the phone's new owner.
    01-19-09 05:56 PM
    I really hope he does. If all else fails I'll have to ring them yeh. It sucks but I can't do nothing about it. Pooop. I love this forum you guys rock hahah xx

01-20-09 07:36 AM
    Welcome to CB, This site tends to take importance over many other things.. lol
    01-20-09 07:48 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD