Ok this is just IMHO.....

Those of us who post regularly are happy to help with any problem you may have.....but help us to keep the frivolous posts down and quickly resolve your problem by following a couple quick rules and posting a few important pieces of information:

Most Importantly: HAVE YOU USED "SEARCH"......if your uncomfortable or unsure of your issue don't hesitate to post.....however 99% of problems encountered have been addressed and resolved in prior threads....you will get much quicker resolution to your issue by searching and then following the previous posts resolution.......
    THIS IN NO WAY IS TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM POSTING....JUST A HELPFUL FYI....

I see many folks post asking for quick help with an issue already resolved...it could take 10 minutes to 24 hours to get help with your issue and we have to start from the ground up with each one

If you don't see a resolution,your issue is unique or your just not sure whats wrong.....please help us by listing the following in post 1

1: Device Type/how long you have had the device
    2. Carrier
    3: Operating System....Can Be Found by going to options>about
    4: Whether Or not you are subscribed to a qualifying data plan
    5: Length of time problem has persisted....new or old problem....other devices experiencing similar issues in close proximity.
    6. Any contact with carrier technical support and any resolution on attempts made prior to posting
    7: Have you recently replaced SIM card/Exposed device to water (Be Honest)/Installed leaked or Beta OS

I know this may seem petty but it is very helpful to know at the outset what we are dealing with.....what model or os....and what has already been done

The folks on here who volunteer there time to help resolve issues are some of the brightest and most knowledgeable folks you will find anywhere.....so please be polite and show you value their time by providing this information in your initial posts......

Thanks....and Good Luck
    09-27-09 10:45 PM
    and the number of noobs that will follow this: 0
    09-27-09 10:47 PM
    Ahh, I really hate these types of posts. I think it takes less time to answer the question, than complain why it was asked.

Crackberry has a posting status system that encourages posting among members. You don't become a member of stature because you are on your 5th Blackberry with 10 years of technical support experience. You become a member of stature on this site because you post. Any post. Question. Answer. Comment. Any post increases your post count, which then increases your status level. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but one member here had over 8,000 posts by August 2009, with a join date of December 2008! Do your math, that's a 1000 posts a month!

If Crackberry wants to encourage posting among members, then more experienced members should treat these noob questions like a high school or college class. Do you really think the class changes much year to year? You get promoted to the next grade level, the new kids come in and it's the same questions and answers all over again. Any teacher understands that. So, why not apply that to Crackberry. I graduated from that level already, I'll let an "user" answer that question. I am an "abuser" now, I'll limit my responses to more intelligent conversation.

Just a perspective to think about. Rather than complain about why the question was asked, let a lesser experienced member answer the noob's question. The more experienced members can concentrate on harder questions that experienced users are likely to have as they get into advanced usage of the device.
    09-28-09 12:14 AM
    I really like Trjnberry's response & I completely agree. Also if you don't like the question being asked or are tired of answering it then you don't have to do so. There's only a few thousand other members who can answer questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 12:58 AM
    Ahh, I really hate these types of posts. I think it takes less time to answer the question, than complain why it was asked.

Crackberry has a posting status system that encourages posting among members. You don't become a member of stature because you are on your 5th Blackberry with 10 years of technical support experience. You become a member of stature on this site because you post. Any post. Question. Answer. Comment. Any post increases your post count, which then increases your status level. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but one member here had over 8,000 posts by August 2009, with a join date of December 2008! Do your math, that's a 1000 posts a month!

If Crackberry wants to encourage posting among members, then more experienced members should treat these noob questions like a high school or college class. Do you really think the class changes much year to year? You get promoted to the next grade level, the new kids come in and it's the same questions and answers all over again. Any teacher understands that. So, why not apply that to Crackberry. I graduated from that level already, I'll let an "user" answer that question. I am an "abuser" now, I'll limit my responses to more intelligent conversation.

Just a perspective to think about. Rather than complain about why the question was asked, let a lesser experienced member answer the noob's question. The more experienced members can concentrate on harder questions that experienced users are likely to have as they get into advanced usage of the device.
    Best post I've seen on this subject (newbies/searching) yet! Well said and very nicely put.

09-28-09 01:08 AM
    @Mz.Turtle, @DD1968,

Thank you for your compliments!
    09-28-09 01:12 AM

If you had actually taken time to read my post youde see what the true purpose of my post was.....to get new members to post info to help resolve the issue....perhaps you and your supporters need a refresher...or if you dont agree with CB's rules should find an alternate forum that is more in line with your ideals?

You sir need to review CB rules on using search and not replicating threads with similar issues....conversely theres nothing wrong with posting or asking questions...but CB isn't simply a forum for discussion...it is also used as a clearinghouse for information on resolving issues.....this site is used as a quick reference by tech support for ALL major carriers AND folks who simply need quick advice on how to fix a problem......clogging the site with redundant questions doesn't help at all and really only discourages people......your much better served and will receive faster resolution by searching when you have a pressing problem!!

Again....I never complained at ALL.....I am a staunch supporter of folks asking questions and having lively discussion and my post history speaks for that....however I CAN have you reference Kevin Mich's or Adam's posts where they clearly ask folks using this site to help keep redundant posts to a minimum ....or better yet where 80% of the CB community prefers folks to "search" first......thanks for your reply
    09-28-09 12:33 PM
    I really like Trjnberry's response & I completely agree. Also if you don't like the question being asked or are tired of answering it then you don't have to do so. There's only a few thousand other members who can answer questions.

Thank you for proving my point.....that certain members need to READ before posting...since you clearly didn't READ my post.......
    09-28-09 12:34 PM
    Oh, I am sorry, you must be a technical support guru. Yeah, I must have thought you just posted a lot just to get that title!

Your original post sounds like a questionaire from a tech support agent. I jumped over all that, and offered a perspective for more experienced users to ignore the redundant posts and let lesser experienced users answer those questions. Because until Crackberry blocks users from starting new threads that already exist elsewhere on the site, you will continue to see redundant posts. Hence the remark you got from the first responder. A fellow 1000+ poster, knows how this forum works. I was offering a suggestion to deal with it.

I hate these types of posts because they don't do anything to solve the problem. Then they get caught up in the search results, resutling in dozens of threads with many replies each, so the searcher gives up and starts a new thread. Thus, instead of resolving the problem of redundant threads, they contribute to the problem. The solution is for CB to block new threads based on what already exists on the site. I don't even know if that's possible.

As for not reading, I am very guilty of posting a response to the thread without realizing what forum I am in, because I often check the "What's New in the Forums" section on the home page. But I usually read the ENTIRE thread before I post. Not just your Original Post, but everyone else's response. Then I have something to add, I then post. Hence why I only have 100+ posts instead of 500+ posts like other users with similiar join dates as me.
    09-28-09 02:39 PM
    @Larry,

In an ideal world, the CB user would provide all the details that your post asks for. But, we're talking cell phones, here, Larry. We're not talking computers. Small keyboards, screens, less than ideal conditions to type out info. A lot of users are posting from their device, not their home computer. So, to write all that detail down before asking the question, not likely. But it's a good post. I was just saying I didn't like them because they don't solve the problem. But I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a good post.
    09-28-09 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD