Hi,

I am new here and am scouring the web for advice on which smartphone is best. I have used an iPhone, Android & Windows phone - all are good & bad, but I have never used a Blackberry.

I blog & check my emails all day, I have heard Blackberry is the best for security but that loading video & pictures is slower. I will be checking the forums to see what I can find, but if anyone has initial thoughts/advice then I'd be really glad to hear from you.

Thanks everyone

Stu
    06-16-12 09:21 AM
    Hi,

I am new here and am scouring the web for advice on which smartphone is best. I have used an iPhone, Android & Windows phone - all are good & bad, but I have never used a Blackberry.

I blog & check my emails all day, I have heard Blackberry is the best for security but that loading video & pictures is slower. I will be checking the forums to see what I can find, but if anyone has initial thoughts/advice then I'd be really glad to hear from you.

Thanks everyone

Stu

Hi stu,

I have a Bold 9900 and I have to say loading photos is not slow at all this thing flies along.

The keyboard on this thing is amazing so for blogging you would probably find the BB the best however I am not sure what apps are available for blogging apart from Wordpress.

As the BB uses BIS and Is connected constantly to the BB network you cannot beat them for e-mail as they are instant.

I have an iphone aswell and love it but the blackberry only just edges it for me because of the keyboard.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    f0xx386 and StueyMac40 like this.
    06-16-12 09:32 AM
    Blackberry vs other phones out there...
    It comes down to the distinct difference between FUNCTION and FEATURES.
    A lot of other cell phone makers sell you "features" whereas Blackberry sells you a intensely functional phone. As a general user, what other users do you require from your phone?

The OS7 line of phones is a top notch line, on par FUNCTION WISE with the other platforms, if not exceeding them by the sheer number of functions the BB's have over other phones in the market. There is no better "PHONE" out there. Honestly. However if you DO find yourself using 3rd party apps to interact with your world, BB may not be the best choice, YET.

BB10 looks to change all that, but I LOVE by BOLD 9900/Playbook
    The combo alone is 300$ and you get so much out of the pair.
    f0xx386 and StueyMac40 like this.
    06-16-12 09:36 AM
    I feel like bb strengths are the obvious keyboard, led notification light, true push email, and insane battery life for most devices. If security is an issue, bbs are great there too. Coming from iphone, I never realized how many typos I had until switching back to bb. More than anything, I feel bb has the best native sync with outlook. (my life is organized around my outlook tasks) I don't have any friends with bbs, so bbm is useless to me.

The biggest downside to bb is the lack of apps. That really won't come until bb10, like the other poster already said.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    StueyMac40 likes this.
    06-16-12 09:53 AM
    OP,
    I'm a huge BlackBerry fan because it is more functional, it has awesome shortcuts, the keyboard on the Bold is simply the best in the world and now with the much improved OS7 and touch screen BlackBerry really improved their devices.

However, I will say that many of these shortcuts are super easy to use BUT not so easy to discover. I believe this is one reason CrackBerry is so popular. Think of it as thousands of IT people ready to help you any time.

So the bottom line is that if you are willing to learn to use the BlackBerry, then you will find you can run circles around other platforms. However, there is that set-up and learning curve. The issue is that BlackBerry gives you so many choices that you need to learn which ones work best for you.

I'll give you an example:
    I set-up NFC on my 9930 and when I get in my car, it automatically turns off WiFi, turns on Blue Tooth, e-mails my wife I'm coming home and launches the app Drive Safe.ly. All of this takes an app and some help from CrackBerry forum members but it is easy to do and it saves time and makes one more consistent every day. I just sit it on the cradle with the NFC Tag and it does it all. No talking, no typing, nothing. Pretty cool.

Another example is that every OS7 BB is a world phone. If you have an iP4 or below on Sprint or Verizon you will learn that each time you travel you have to swap out your phone, they probably will give you a BlackBerry that is a world phone.

Yet another example is the ability to use shortcuts. I can hold the 1 key and it goes to my voice mail, I can hold the Q and it places the phone on silent. I can launch my calendar by just holding the L, Contacts? just hold the C or the A for Address Book, U for calculator, etc.

The bottom line is that the BlackBerry line has real world functionality that makes you more efficient. It does NOT have the easiest UI. I believe android is neck and neck with the iPhone (however, I would go with the android since it is not being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-book against the interest of consumers).

One item you will probably not have any 19 year old at a store tell you is their absolute dominance in terms of security. People don't seem to care but I believe it does matter. Also, BB pushes ALL your mail and messages, not just gmail.

In the end the BB, properly set-up, is the absolute best and most functional device out there. From the ergonomic size and feel to the usability. However, it does not have Netflix or the vast selection of games and other apps of the other two platforms. I don't watch Netflix on my phone and don't play games on it either so for me it is a no contest situation.

It depends what you want from your device.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 06-16-12 at 11:27 AM.
    06-16-12 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD