I'm using Opera and I like it alot better than the Browser. Will it hurt anything if I completely delete the Browser and use Opera exclusively?

Thx!

Eggman
    06-18-08 01:02 PM
    You need the Blackberry Browser for OTA downloads.

There was also a user here a couple of days ago who couldn't go to pages (other than page 1) on wapforums using opera. He may have had some other problem, we never figured it out, but switching to the bb browser allowed him to view subsequent pages.
    06-18-08 01:10 PM
    You can't do that. The built in browser is still used for all OTA downloads and is called from Messages whenever you click on a link. Browser is undeletable in Application Loader too. I guess that they want you to keep it.

What you can do is to to delete the icon from your desktop. hover over the browser, press Menu and select Delete.

Under 4.5 the internal browser is much improved and you may find that Opera-Mini is not required.
    06-18-08 01:14 PM
    Great, thanks a bunch. I appreciate the info. I think this is what makes this forum great; I've only been lurking and posting for a short while but I have yet to run across anybody acting holier-than-thou or lording an obviously advanced knowledge of the Berry over anybody. Good stuff.
    06-18-08 01:42 PM
    Great, thanks a bunch. I appreciate the info. I think this is what makes this forum great; I've only been lurking and posting for a short while but I have yet to run across anybody acting holier-than-thou or lording an obviously advanced knowledge of the Berry over anybody. Good stuff.
    welcome....ask away
    06-18-08 01:47 PM
    Not getting rid of the browser makes sense but what about getting rid of the built in BB Maps program if Google Maps Mobile works better? Safe to delete BB Maps?

Thanks in advance.
    06-18-08 02:09 PM
    If you are going to use an external bluetooth GPS with Google Maps Mobile, you will also need BBMaps running to start the GPS and keep it running. GMM can't talk back to a bluetooth GPS, at least the model I have, the Freedom Keychain 2000.

If you're satisfied with your location by cell tower triangulation, and don't need rotating maps, then you may safely delete BBMaps.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-18-08 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added reference to Freedom Keychain 2000
    06-18-08 02:13 PM
    I still haven't figured out what all the hype is about with Opera Mini. I have used it, wasn't impressed. The native BB browser works just fine for me. If you can't access a webpage then use a different search engine and it will work. Way too many pop-ups with Opera as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 02:27 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry
    06-19-08 08:19 AM
    Hey Eggman, welcome to the forums from one Memphian to another. Do you hate Willie H as much as everyone else?? LOL Enjoy the site and see ya around.
    06-20-08 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD