I recently bought a blackberry curve 8320 from my cellphone provider T-Mobile. I also purchased the $19.99 Blackberry Unlimited Add-on which includes real-world web browsing. My question is when I get to a point when installing the blackberry usertools software that came with the phone, I'm asked a question of typical or custom. I have always chosen custom to see exactly what's going to be added/installed. I notice a red X at the Certificate Synchronization. It sounds like something I might want installed so when I chose it the next window gives me a choice of BlackBerry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Desktop Redirector and the second choice is Blackberry Internet service. Which should I pic or if I left the red X alone would this even have come up?

Thanks for the help.

RichieC
    09-08-08 11:02 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Richie.

I alwasy choose custom too, just to know what is going on.

If you are a typical consumer, you can bypass all the BES/MDS configuration. You will be using BIS, which is provided by your carrier.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager is the key tool. Once you install it, the first thing it will do is suggest an update. The current versions are v4.5 or v4.6 with IMAP support. Either will be suitable, depending on our email needs.

Sooner or late, the question of device software upgrades will arise. T-Mobile has not certified v4.5xx yet, but odds are good they will soon.

You will need DTM when that time comes.
    09-09-08 12:02 AM
    I recently bought a blackberry curve 8320 from my cellphone provider T-Mobile. I also purchased the $19.99 Blackberry Unlimited Add-on which includes real-world web browsing. My question is when I get to a point when installing the blackberry usertools software that came with the phone, I'm asked a question of typical or custom. I have always chosen custom to see exactly what's going to be added/installed. I notice a red X at the Certificate Synchronization. It sounds like something I might want installed so when I chose it the next window gives me a choice of BlackBerry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Desktop Redirector and the second choice is Blackberry Internet service. Which should I pic or if I left the red X alone would this even have come up?

Thanks for the help.

RichieC

If you are a typical consumer, you can bypass all the BES/MDS configuration. You will be using BIS, which is provided by your carrier.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager is the key tool. Once you install it, the first thing it will do is suggest an update. The current versions are v4.5 or v4.6 with IMAP support. Either will be suitable, depending on our email needs.

Sooner or late, the question of device software upgrades will arise. T-Mobile has not certified v4.5xx yet, but odds are good they will soon.

This still doesn't answer my question. When I get to that window during installation, I HAVE to choose either Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Desktop Redirector. I can't go any further. I assume BES stands for Blackberry Enterprise Server but don't know what MDS or BIS stand for unless BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Server and if so is that what I have?

I have to tell you, this phone has been so complicated to me. Sometimes wish I hadn't got it.

RichieC

P.S. What is DTM?
    09-09-08 09:00 PM

Thanks for the help.

RichieC

This still doesn't answer my question. When I get to that window during installation, I HAVE to choose either Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Desktop Redirector. I can't go any further. I assume BES stands for Blackberry Enterprise Server but don't know what MDS or BIS stand for unless BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Server and if so is that what I have?

I have to tell you, this phone has been so complicated to me. Sometimes wish I hadn't got it.

RichieC

P.S. What is DTM?
    09-09-08 09:01 PM
    ...second choice is Blackberry Internet service. ...
    ...This still doesn't answer my question. When I get to that window during installation, I HAVE to choose either Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Desktop Redirector. I can't go any further. I assume BES stands for Blackberry Enterprise Server but don't know what MDS or BIS stand for unless BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Server and if so is that what I have?

RichieC

P.S. What is DTM?
    BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is the correct choice for all consumer devices.

Desktop Manager (DTM) is the software you are trying to install.

It actualy quite simple, once you have dealt with the basics.
    09-10-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD