Hi,

I am planning to buy a new PDA. Device and feature wise I like Blackberry but 3rd party app and usability wise I would like to go with Windows Mobile based PDA.

So my question to you experts is: Is it possible to wipe out the Blackberry OS on Curve 8310 or Pearl and install WM6 or WM6.1??

I tried searching internet and forums, but could not find answer to my specific question. Has no one in the world tried this before ?? I read the topic to format your blackberry device and reinstall blackberry OS: but is it possible to install Windows mobile OS on it.

Thanks in advance
    04-20-08 11:18 AM
    I don't think so and why would you want to use that anyway other than just the apps im sure you could get similar apps on the bb OS....windows OS is so unstable.
    04-20-08 11:30 AM
    I totally relate to your concerns, Roma. I've given up on that idea as I did when I moved from Palm devices to WM devices 5 years ago. It is best to just look for similar BB apps. Fortunately, there are many people like you and me so apps are being ported all of the time.
    04-20-08 12:01 PM
    There is an app for windows mobile devices which gives it a touch screen interface and the newer version HTC manila wud be great. I am not at all an apple fan, but would love touch interface. I have not heard of such app for blackberyy. This is the only app that is killing me in my decision and this is the only reason i would love to have Windows OS on blackberry
    04-20-08 10:29 PM
    N ope, not possible. Your only option is to get a Blackberry, or get a WinBlo device.

Touchscreen is horrible, apple is the only company that has gotten it somewhat right to this point. All the others are just iffy.
    04-20-08 10:47 PM
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwww wimblo is right i hate windows mobile all the way around i will never go back its like having the first 4.5 beta lol
    04-21-08 04:00 AM
    Another problem is that with WinMo 5 and 6, Microsoft is one step ahead of RIM by providing separated RAM and ROM. If there is any way to copy a WinMo to your BB you'd have to use Windows Mobile 2003.
    04-21-08 05:39 AM
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way.

You say 3rd party support is better for windows, but the real question is what are you looking for?

If all you need is a HTML viewer, the BB has an app for it. A lot of the 3rd party apps that winSLOW has, BB has a comparable version. The difference is that winSLOW may have 10 companies that make the app, where BB may have just two.
    04-21-08 07:54 AM
    I have both a 8830 and a Treo 700wx and still appreciate both platforms (as I do the Palm platform which I stopped using 5 years ago). The verdict is still out on whether I'll keep my Treo, however, since there are a few apps for which I haven't found replacements.

Slingplayer (coming soon, I hear)
    XMOnline (the version free for subscribers)
    Monopoly Classic

Any leads for these would be appreciated.
    04-21-08 07:15 PM
    what I love are applications like "SPB Pocket Plus" (especially the Today-screen) and "Pocket Informant" (a way better PIM, perfectly integrated.

PI is being developed for BB's as far as I know.

Another problem is that - probably because it was made for professionals with money - even the 3rd party software that exists for the BB is normally quite expensive.

eOffice for example... 100$ for something that's integrated into Windows Mobile for free??!!
    04-23-08 11:15 AM
    I just researched and found another advantage of WinBlow(in crackberry's terms) : windows mobile device. I can load my full GPS software on 2 GB SD /microSD card with 11 million POI + full US maps and use it with my inbuilt GPS phone. NO DATA PLAN and NO TELENAV SERVICE NEEDED: because that GPS software knows how to read SD cards from windows OS.

Currently I am not aware of any such software that runs on Blackberry OS. Hence if I put same loaded SD card in blackberry it will not work as it does not know how to read cards from blackberry OS???
    Any ideas / suggestion / brain storms.
    04-24-08 10:21 PM
    Sounds like you are dead set on using Winmo OS.
    04-25-08 06:56 AM
    What you are looking for is called an emulator. It's a program that tricks your devices into thinking it's running a different OS so that you can run apps designed for that OS.

There's an emulator called Styletap (StyleTap Platform – Main page), that allows users to run Palm OS apps on Windows devices with emulators for other OS in the works. A Blackberry version is not on the horizon, but it would not hurt to write the company and see if they are considering a Blackberry project (I have a feeling many are waiting for the release of OS 4.5).

That's the only one I know about, but you might want to do a Google search to see if any other emulator apps come up. Also, keep in mind, Palm has as many if not more apps than Windows mobile, so an emulator for either OS should allow you to do what you need on your Blackberry.
    04-28-08 10:29 AM
    It makes no sense to me--if I wanted a Windows System, I'd get a PDA with a windows system.....the reason for getting a BB was because I wanted the BB, including the OS.

I agree that I like the idea of the many apps that other OS's have--I miss my Palm apps like crazy--but I have faith that RIM will soon catch up--after all, they've only recently cracked the consumer side......
    04-28-08 01:08 PM
    It makes no sense to me--if I wanted a Windows System, I'd get a PDA with a windows system.....the reason for getting a BB was because I wanted the BB, including the OS.

I agree that I like the idea of the many apps that other OS's have--I miss my Palm apps like crazy--but I have faith that RIM will soon catch up--after all, they've only recently cracked the consumer side......
    It doesn't turn your Blackberry into a Windows phone, it just lets you run an app or 2 originally designed for Windows devices. It's like running the MSOffice suite on your Mac. It's still a Mac. I still running OS whatever.

Blackberry devices are more stable and have better battery life. Windows devices have better apps. An emulator allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Especially if you depend on an obscure app that is not likely to get ported for the Blackberry any time soon.
    04-28-08 01:25 PM
    what I love are applications like "SPB Pocket Plus" (especially the Today-screen) and "Pocket Informant" (a way better PIM, perfectly integrated.

PI is being developed for BB's as far as I know.

Another problem is that - probably because it was made for professionals with money - even the 3rd party software that exists for the BB is normally quite expensive.

eOffice for example... 100$ for something that's integrated into Windows Mobile for free??!!
    Folks, FYI WebIS is about to release a beta-for-sale version of Pocket Informant for BB. Price is $19.95.

If interested buy your seat in the beta program here: WebIS Pocket Informant for BlackBerry Signup. I just signed up.

Please note that you shall have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
    05-27-08 02:38 PM
    Hello and welcome to CRACKberry!! Winvlows on a BB? Are you for real? No way dude, not happening. Have fun and enjoy!
    05-28-08 06:16 PM
    It doesn't turn your Blackberry into a Windows phone, it just lets you run an app or 2 originally designed for Windows devices. It's like running the MSOffice suite on your Mac. It's still a Mac. I still running OS whatever.

Blackberry devices are more stable and have better battery life. Windows devices have better apps. An emulator allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Especially if you depend on an obscure app that is not likely to get ported for the Blackberry any time soon.
    But the OP didnt ask for anything like an emulator

Hi,.....Is it possible to wipe out the Blackberry OS on Curve 8310 or Pearl and install WM6 or WM6.1??
    Which takes me back to my confusion Why not just get a WM device. Wiping the BB OS is just going to leave a shell of a phone- why go thru all that when a WM phone will solve all that??
    05-28-08 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD