I have a phone plan with verizon wireless, and unfortunately, I just upgraded my regular cell phone only ~4 months ago (that is, my 2yr contract for this doesn't end for another ~20 months). But now I have this burning desire for a BB!!

But I also realize that BB is pretty pricey; to keep up with the ~$30/month fee (is that all or is there other fee associated with normal phone usage and stuff?) and then having to UPGRADE my BB every other year... that's got to be costly, yes?
    10-17-08 10:21 PM
    Blackberrys are very good phones. You really have to ask yourself do you really need it. Yes it can be pricey but again you pay what you get .
    Why do you think you need to upgrade every year??
    10-17-08 10:25 PM

Why do you think you need to upgrade every year??
    Hm, you don't...? I'm just mainly thinking verizon's 2 yr contracts?
    10-17-08 10:27 PM
    You could pick one up on eBay and sell your phone to recoup some of the costs. What phone did you just get?

Also, you get to upgrade every 22 months, so you actually only have 18 more to go. :-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-08 12:13 AM
    I would see no reason to upgrade every year, but I can see upgrading after a contract is fulfilled simply to get free phone

I am a relatively new owner of a Pearl 8120 my bill is NOT 30 a month. You need to have a talk plan, considerations for data (the 30) and also for e-mail and messaging. My wife's and my bill is $130 together with T-Mobile for two Pearls with all the goodies.

Since you will be paying out the pocket for a BB I would do that much more research. You do not want to get say a Pearl when your main need is a full QWERTY keyboard.

Now all that being said, I am not trying to steer ANYONE from getting a BB, but you do really need to consider all the costs associated with it. Do you need the constant and instant e-mail (personal or biz)? Do you need internet whenever your little heart desires? Ok, you should be answering yes and only having to decide which BB to get! :P

I myself chose a Pearl because I can adapt quickly to the SureType "QWERTY"-type keyboard. The size is just right (not too wide) and it has a nice pack of features. Plus the price was right: for me, with a plan, it was a penny.

Some people opt for the Curve simply because the full QWERTY keyboard is FAR easier to use and there really is no learning time required for it. Otherwise the standard features (Wi-Fi, cam, etc) are same for the Curve and Pearl.

T-Mobile also now carries the new Pearl 8220 flip BB, but I tested this thing out (after getting my BB) in the store and personally I do not like it. I never did like the idea of a flip-style SmartPhone. Not very intuitive for me, at 6'2" and with hands on the large side, to flip open the phone and start using it to message or type e-mails. It is far easier for me to hold the Pearl or Curve.

Another thing to consider is if you can wait a mere 20 months, BB is coming out with some tight models that will be inexpensive with plans then. BB's such as the Storm will most likely be cheap or free by then. So if you can wait, then wait. It would be the most cost-effective thing to do.

Either choice you make, best of luck to you. And send us a note back letting us know your choice.

RM
    10-18-08 02:17 AM
    Congrats!!!
    10-18-08 03:36 AM
    I'd say go for the Blackberry. You'll thank yourself in the morning
    10-18-08 05:59 AM
    If you can afford the additional $ and really want the BB, Verizon can be really helpful. When I got my first BB, I wasn't due for an upgrade but got 2 year pricing anyway...I guess because I was going from talk/text only to a pricey BB plan. Contracts is where they make their money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-08 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD