I have heard it over and over and over again.

"It is cheaper to build a computer than to buy a computer." - High Tech Geeks

So, I am looking for a good computer. I've done some research and found out what ATX motherboards are, couple stuff about what processors certain sockets take, a little bit about graphics cards. My main stuff is I want my computer to be fast, run smoothly, and look purdy. Buy I'm a vergin at this. I so do not want a gaming computer and I definitely do not want a leviathan.

Help?
    02-09-12 09:36 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Love the member name.

Maybe you didn't notice, but we're into BlackBerry phones and tablets here. Don't really do the PC thing. You will get some help making a thread here, but be prepared. It's Off Topic, so the useful advice will be blended with a dose of humor.
    02-09-12 09:50 PM
    What a mean mod!

Welcome to CrackBerry!

I don't know anything about computers. I just got myself a Dell laptop that I love.

Good luck!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-09-12 at 09:54 PM.
    02-09-12 09:52 PM
    Ha! Not mean at all, I knew someone was gonna tell me "this is phones only" but I figured maybe there are some well rounded people here. OoooooOops.
    02-09-12 10:05 PM
    It would help if you made a list of what you NEED the PC to do well, and what your budget is. Lots of choices out there.

Are you processing video, or just streaming? Do you need HD video out? Will you be running multiple apps? Do you need tons of storage space for music, videos, etc?
    02-09-12 10:14 PM
    It would help if you made a list of what you NEED the PC to do well, and what your budget is. Lots of choices out there.

Are you processing video, or just streaming? Do you need HD video out? Will you be running multiple apps? Do you need tons of storage space for music, videos, etc?
    Budget is 600 dollas. I need it to have an HDMI output. Will have tons of music and videos. Planning on running on running many programs at once. Not gonna do all them fancy stuffs, I want it to run smooth but haul buns when I demand so!
    02-09-12 10:20 PM
    I have heard it over and over and over again.

"It is cheaper to build a computer than to buy a computer." - High Tech Geeks

It's cheaper to build a midrange to highend than it is to buy, but if you're looking for dirt cheap, it's cheaper to buy than build.

So, I am looking for a good computer. I've done some research and found out what ATX motherboards are, couple stuff about what processors certain sockets take,

Make sure the board you buy supports the processor you want.

a little bit about graphics cards.

Depending on what you are going to do will depend on if you need a discrete video card, and if so, what kind.

My main stuff is I want my computer to be fast, run smoothly, and look purdy. Buy I'm a vergin at this. I so do not want a gaming computer and I definitely do not want a leviathan.

Help?

For a PC to be fast, you need a fast chip, lots of ram, and a fast hard drive.

As for "purdy" do you want to waste money, IMO, on the case that you never look at? Or put that to the monitor that you will look at all the time?

Edit: I see your budget is $600.

One last thing to be aware of, if you build your own, you're on your own for support (not counting forums or Google), where if you buy one, they do typically come with a warranty for the whole thing, rather than the individual parts.
    Last edited by MayorHaji; 02-09-12 at 10:35 PM.
    02-09-12 10:26 PM
    Sadly, I have all the links but my newbie status is keeping me grounded. My budget is 600 bucks. I already have a list of my stuff and it is 12 bucks short from passing my limit.
    02-09-12 10:35 PM
    Sadly, I have all the links but my newbie status is keeping me grounded. My budget is 600 bucks. I already have a list of my stuff and it is 12 bucks short from passing my limit.

Just list the parts and where your getting them from.
    02-09-12 10:36 PM
    It's cheaper to build a midrange to highend than it is to buy, but if you're looking for dirt cheap, it's cheaper to buy than build.

Make sure the board you buy supports the processor you want.

Depending on what you are going to do will depend on if you need a discrete video card, and if so, what kind.

For a PC to be fast, you need a fast chip, lots of ram, and a fast hard drive.

As for "purdy" do you want to waste money, IMO, on the case that you never look at? Or put that to the monitor that you will look at all the time?

Edit: I see your budget is $600.

One last thing to be aware of, if you build your own, you're on your own for support (not counting forums or Google), where if you buy one, they do typically come with a warranty for the whole thing, rather than the individual parts.
    I am well aware of that, which kinda shatters my credentials even more. My warranty right now is an anti-static wrist band.
    02-09-12 10:37 PM
    New Egg is one of the best places to get components. Tiger Direct is good too.
    02-09-12 10:42 PM
    Just list the parts and where your getting them from.
    Currently I have:

Mobo:ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard - Amazon

Case:Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window (RC-430-KWN1)

Fans: (2X) Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP

Drive: Asus 24xDVD�RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

RAM:Corsair 6 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Triple Channel Memory Kit CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

Graphics Card:Evga GeForce GT 430 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1430-LR

CPU:Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor

HDD:Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive ST3500641AS-RK-Retail Kit

[Edit] All these are from amazon.
    02-09-12 10:42 PM
    New Egg is one of the best places to get components. Tiger Direct is good too.
    Ah ha! That's why I came here. I know you guys know your stuff. Verginity = gone!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-12 10:46 PM
    I don't think you need a tripple channel memory kit with a socket 1155 board. I think it only needs dual channel. To be honest, I'm too lazy to look it up right now as I'm about to pass out in bed.

As for the drive, when you drop the ram back, can you squeeze in a 1TB Western Digital Black Edition?

Also, what are you going to do about an OS?
    02-09-12 10:47 PM
    I don't think you need a tripple channel memory kit with a socket 1155 board. I think it only needs dual channel. To be honest, I'm too lazy to look it up right now as I'm about to pass out in bed.

As for the drive, when you drop the ram back, can you squeeze in a 1TB Western Digital Black Edition?

Also, what are you going to do about an OS?
    I can't seem to find a 6gb ddr3. I only find 8gb and 4gb. 1tb sounds great but if I drop to 4gb ram, wouldn't it be too slow? Slow as in slow for the 1tb.

I have nothing on a OS. I know thems expensive. Couldn't I use the product key from my laptop? Runs Win7.
    02-09-12 10:56 PM
    Is your copy of Win7 retail or OEM?
    02-10-12 12:54 AM
    I can't seem to find a 6gb ddr3. I only find 8gb and 4gb. 1tb sounds great but if I drop to 4gb ram, wouldn't it be too slow? Slow as in slow for the 1tb.
    The ammount of ram won't have an effect on the speed of the hard drive. However, I'd recommend 8 gig of ram.

I have nothing on a OS. I know thems expensive. Couldn't I use the product key from my laptop? Runs Win7.

The product key on your laptop is an OEM version most likely, and is tied to it. You'll need to plan to buy a new copy. Make sure it's Win7 64-bit. Since you're building new, buying an OEM copy will work and save you a little cash.
    02-10-12 07:30 AM
    Comb your local craigslist for hard drives. There are people that I've seen that bought new ones and then didn't get around to using it, or opened the box and couldn't return a drive. Saw a 2 TB 7200 Caviar Black going for $95 the other day. There can be good deals if you look, and save on one end gives you options on another.
    02-10-12 09:12 AM
    Comb your local craigslist for hard drives. There are people that I've seen that bought new ones and then didn't get around to using it, or opened the box and couldn't return a drive. Saw a 2 TB 7200 Caviar Black going for $95 the other day. There can be good deals if you look, and save on one end gives you options on another.
    Not in Utah people here don't seem to understand that used electronics are worth less.
    02-10-12 09:15 AM
    Currently I have:

Mobo:ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard - Amazon

Case:Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window (RC-430-KWN1)

Fans: (2X) Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP

Drive: Asus 24xDVD�RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

RAM:Corsair 6 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Triple Channel Memory Kit CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

Graphics Card:Evga GeForce GT 430 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1430-LR

CPU:Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor

HDD:Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive ST3500641AS-RK-Retail Kit

[Edit] All these are from amazon.
    Now that I'm awake and have had some time to look up a few things, your case you have listed, when I looked on NewEgg, doesn't have a power supply. You'll need one. 330W or larger will be plenty for what you're doing. My personal preference is SeaSonic brands, but they are a little proud of their name, and deservedly so. Egg lists the SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply at about $70.

Also, swap out the Corsair 6 gig kit for 2 of these:
    Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT51264BD160B. I'm not a fan of "gamer" ram, as it can be a tad unstable at times. This Crucial stuff I listed isn't timed as agressively, and will run more stable.This will put you at 8 gig of ram on 2 sticks, and be a buck cheaper on egg.

Lastly, the OS, Win7 Home Premium OEM 64-Bit will be a penny shy of $100.

You might save a little cash if you get a motherboard that doesn't have onboard graphics, and I'd hold off on the extra fans and see if you need them. The one in the front and the PSU's, might be enough to keep things cool. You're not exactly buying lead melting heat generating stuff here.

All of this, unfortunately will put you over budget.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-12 09:45 AM
    Now that I'm awake and have had some time to look up a few things, your case you have listed, when I looked on NewEgg, doesn't have a power supply. You'll need one. 330W or larger will be plenty for what you're doing. My personal preference is SeaSonic brands, but they are a little proud of their name, and deservedly so. Egg lists the SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply at about $70.

Also, swap out the Corsair 6 gig kit for 2 of these:
    Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT51264BD160B. I'm not a fan of "gamer" ram, as it can be a tad unstable at times. This Crucial stuff I listed isn't timed as agressively, and will run more stable.This will put you at 8 gig of ram on 2 sticks, and be a buck cheaper on egg.

Lastly, the OS, Win7 Home Premium OEM 64-Bit will be a penny shy of $100.

You might save a little cash if you get a motherboard that doesn't have onboard graphics, and I'd hold off on the extra fans and see if you need them. The one in the front and the PSU's, might be enough to keep things cool. You're not exactly buying lead melting heat generating stuff here.

All of this, unfortunately will put you over budget.
    I'm okay if it goes a little over my budget, hells I did so much research yesterday I have a clear picture of what I want to get.

I just need some elaborations on your motherboard comment, doesn't have onboard graphics?

In the end, I got most of what I needed, holding off on the fans is great, I was freaking oot about the heat in there. But I kept pondering what power supply to get, how did you come about deciding on a 330w?
    Last edited by Test.Dummy; 02-10-12 at 11:57 AM.
    02-10-12 11:54 AM
    I plan on improving my HDs later on, I want a good template.
    02-10-12 11:56 AM
    I'm okay if it goes a little over my budget, hells I did so much research yesterday I have a clear picture of what I want to get.

I just need some elaborations on your motherboard comment, doesn't have onboard graphics?

In the end, I got most of what I needed, holding off on the fans is great, I was freaking oot about the heat in there. But I kept pondering what power supply to get, how did you come about deciding on a 330w?

The board you currently have, a Z68 chipset has integrated video. The P67 chipset doesn't. That's an example. It "might" save you a few coins to go with a board that doesn't have integrated video.

As for the 330w PSU:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Just plug in your info. I got a peak usage of 234W for your setup, which is in the sweet spot for where most 330W and 380W PSU's are most efficient (50% to 80% load).

Understand, that's MAX usage. It won't pull near that if it's sitting there, and your just reading web pages. Your max usage will likely occur during gaming or video encoding, etc.
    02-10-12 01:10 PM
    The board you currently have, a Z68 chipset has integrated video. The P67 chipset doesn't. That's an example. It "might" save you a few coins to go with a board that doesn't have integrated video.

As for the 330w PSU:

Just plug in your info. I got a peak usage of 234W for your setup, which is in the sweet spot for where most 330W and 380W PSU's are most efficient (50% to 80% load).

Understand, that's MAX usage. It won't pull near that if it's sitting there, and your just reading web pages. Your max usage will likely occur during gaming or video encoding, etc.
    I find that website hard! Suppose I buy the wrong one. I need a 500 and I got a 330, what can possibly go wrong?
    02-10-12 02:17 PM
    I find that website hard! Suppose I buy the wrong one. I need a 500 and I got a 330, what can possibly go wrong?

Stick with the SeaSonic, and you won't have an issue. You'll even have room to upgrade to a decent video card and highend CPU with the SeaSonic 380W.
    02-10-12 03:56 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD