Any insight as to how it works?? (the BB going to sleep mode when dropped into a holster)

My boss has a 7130 that he wears on his belt, and the "go to sleep when in holster" seems like an awesome feature! I've been using a rubber skin, but i'm tempted to switch to a belt holster with that feature.

Is it magnetic?

Jesse

p.s. any recommended holsters for an 8830?
    07-24-07 02:12 PM
    I have a holster for mine and it's just a magnet inside that puts it into standby. You can see this also with any other magnet the phone comes into contact with.
    07-24-07 02:15 PM
    Yeah, there is a magnet in the holster. You can put the BB to sleep with a fridge magnet to prove this.

[edit]I see ^^someone^^ beat me to it.
    07-24-07 02:16 PM
    wow...quick responses. Thanks guys!

Any recommendations in particular for an 8830?? Or should i stick with a rubber skin?

I'm kinda concerned about losing the 24/7 protection of the skin...any insight?

Jesse
    07-24-07 02:18 PM
    I always prefer a holster over a skin, but that is just me. It doesn't make sense for a bb/phone to be a case constantly.

But I don't have any recommendations either way for the 8830, I have the 7250.
    07-24-07 02:20 PM
    I use use a holster OVER my skin. I have the OEM rubber skin and standard OEM holster. Works great for me.
    07-24-07 03:34 PM
    I guess you can't protect the BB too much. Maybe they need to make one of these for your curve:

A little bulky and hard to prop up on the shoulder while on a call, but nearly bulletproof.
    07-24-07 03:38 PM
    ^^ lol I deal with construction contractors regularly, and know someone who has a case like that on their pearl - kinda defeats the size advantage of the pearl though.

Will the OEM rubber fit work with a "clip in" plastic belt case?? That'd really be awesome!

Jesse
    07-24-07 04:11 PM
    Yeah those otter box cases are crazy big and expensive.
    07-24-07 04:19 PM
    Exactly what is the sleep function, anyways?
    07-24-07 06:34 PM
    I purchased a leather holster off the BB site. Love it!
    I always had to use two hands to remove my BB from the plastic holster. Not with my new one. And the new one is prettier!!

Sleep function just puts the BB in a standby mode without having to do anything other then put the BB in its holster. I think it might help to preserve the battery power. There are also profile settings for out of holster and in holster.
    07-24-07 06:41 PM
    Exactly what is the sleep function, anyways?
    The sleep function puts the device into standby mode. It deactivates the screen and the backlighting as well as clearing temporary memory.
    07-24-07 09:33 PM
    Temp memory?
    07-25-07 11:39 PM
    I purchased a leather holster off the BB site. Love it!
    I always had to use two hands to remove my BB from the plastic holster. Not with my new one. And the new one is prettier!!

Sleep function just puts the BB in a standby mode without having to do anything other then put the BB in its holster. I think it might help to preserve the battery power. There are also profile settings for out of holster and in holster.

Thanks for the info about the sleep mode!
    And that would explain about the in and out of holster settings.
    Love this site and the people here, friendly and helpful bunch
    07-26-07 03:22 AM
    is there a way to put into standby without going to lock mode? cause mine automatically locks on holster???????????????????
    07-26-07 05:55 PM
    That's nuts. I've had a holster for the longest and never noticed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-08 12:50 PM
    I have a holster for mine and it's just a magnet inside that puts it into standby. You can see this also with any other magnet the phone comes into contact with.
    Tried all kinds of magnets on my 8330 curve. None put it to sleep.
    06-20-08 10:09 AM
    That's nuts. I've had a holster for the longest and never noticed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You wont notice it because you probably dont look at the phone once its inside the holster...but it does actually go into sleep mode...and saves a LOT of battery. If you read/watch reviews, most folks mention the sleep magnet in BB cases and holsters...thats how I found out even before I had my BB.

Does anyone know what the magnet really does? As in the mechanism?
    06-20-08 10:29 AM
    welcome to CB..heres some useful info>>> BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    06-20-08 12:59 PM
    Hello and welcome to CRACKberry!! I use the Otterbox and absolutely love it!!
    06-20-08 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD