Hi, I'm back.

I haven't really visited crackberry or the forums in a very long time. I used to live on crackberry. I had the BlackBerry with the side scroll wheel. I had a BlackBerry Pearl, trackball, too many Curves (trackball and trackpad) & my last BB device was a Bold 9780, I think. I also had a BB Playbook. Well I traded those in for a Samsung Galaxy S3 & an iPad Mini.

It has almost been two years with my S3 & I am not impressed with the S5. I was looking around at other devices and nothing really caught my fancy. Then I saw that BB will be coming out with an overhaul to their BB10 OS. 10.3 I believe and they may be coming out with new phones. Something about a classic. Anyway I plan on keeping my S3 for another year and I'm hoping BB might have something that I may consider getting. For me, it's either that or an S6. I'll be keeping tabs on BlackBerry's progress!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-16-14 09:03 PM
    welcome back to CB!
    05-16-14 09:07 PM
    Welcome back to CB!
    05-16-14 09:07 PM
    Welcome back to the CrackBerry forums!
    Hopefully you will be back to actual BlackBerry devices with the release of 10.3 as well!

Good Luck!
    05-16-14 09:08 PM
    Thank you all so very much :-)

05-16-14 09:21 PM
    Welcome back! Why don't you try the z30?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 10:13 PM
    Does the Z30 have S3 specs? I guess one of my concerns with heading back to BB now is the app gap. I don't know anything about sideloading and even if I tried to learn I fear I would mess it up. I don't like tinkering with my phone. I recently learned on Android Central that I'm using stock Touchwiz or Stock something. Anyway you see why something like sideloading apps would frighten me. There are some apps I have on Android that I have absolutely come to love and use quite regularly. Even simple things like games. I wanted to play Ruzzle with my friend who owns a Q10. He said he didn't have it for his phone.

05-16-14 11:24 PM
    The z30 has better specs (the US version of s3 has better though) but the BlackBerry 10 OS doesn't require so much specs the BlackBerry Hub is unmatched for the communication purposes and the keyboard is hands down the best with the flick features and heat sensors, the browser has been voted as the best browser in the world and BlackBerry 10 has the best memory management! The speaker of the z30 has been PROVEN to beat the beats audio in htc devices and the z30 has really good signal due to its paratekk antenna. Don't worry about apps since the latest BlackBerry 10 update 10.2.1 can load .apk files, ( the files that android apps are written in) and can support android 4.3 runtime and hence runs all the apps properly! You don't need to sideload anything since there are so many apps that get all the android apps for you in your BlackBerry phone! Such as 1mobilemarket

Posted via CB10
    Vee_G likes this.
    05-17-14 01:15 AM
    * phew*

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 01:17 AM
    First off, welcome (back) to CrackBerry!

The Z30 has similar display specs to the S3 as they both have a 720x1280 OLED display. But otherwise the Z30 is superior specwise. Z30 screen is 5.0" to 4.8" on S3. S3 cpu is 1.4-1.5GHz while Z30 has 1.7GHz cpu plus a quad core gpu. Both have 2GB RAM.

Regardless, in your situation I'd wait for the next BBs to come out unless budget isn't a concern and you can buy now and buy again in a few months.

About Android apps, as of OS 10.2.1 you don't need to sideload anymore. You can now directly install apk files on any BB10 device. You can install Android app stores like Amazon Appstore or use Snap which is a native BB10 app that runs Google Play content. (With Snap you'd even keep your paid Android app content!) Not all Android apps will work, especially Google's own apps and apps dependent on Google Play services.

By the way, Ruzzle has been in BlackBerry World for a year or so:
    Ruzzle - BlackBerry World

Lastly, remember you can still use BBM on your S3 now too. And in your iPad mini as well!

Anyway, we're glad you're back. See you in the Forums!
    Vee_G likes this.
    05-17-14 01:33 AM
    First off, welcome (back) to CrackBerry!

The Z30 has similar display specs to the S3 as they both have a 720x1280 OLED display. But otherwise the Z30 is superior specwise. Z30 screen is 5.0" to 4.8" on S3. S3 cpu is 1.4-1.5GHz while Z30 has 1.7GHz cpu plus a quad core gpu. Both have 2GB RAM.

Regardless, in your situation I'd wait for the next BBs to come out unless budget isn't a concern and you can buy now and buy again in a few months.

About Android apps, as of OS 10.2.1 you don't need to sideload anymore. You can now directly install apk files on any BB10 device. You can install Android app stores like Amazon Appstore or use Snap which is a native BB10 app that runs Google Play content. (With Snap you'd even keep your paid Android app content!) Not all Android apps will work, especially Google's own apps and apps dependent on Google Play services.

By the way, Ruzzle has been in BlackBerry World for a year or so:
    Ruzzle - BlackBerry World

Lastly, remember you can still use BBM on your S3 now too. And in your iPad mini as well!

Anyway, we're glad you're back. See you in the Forums!
    I thank both posters above for the very helpful and useful information. I had no clue about all the changes BBOS and the devices running BBOS have gone through.

I'm actually a bit disappointed in my carrier. I went into a store and was looking around for a new device. I was not shown any BlackBerrys. I was only shown the S5 and the iPhone 5 which I have absolutely no interest in. I think the only BlackBerrys on display were a Q10 & an entry level BB Curve in which my 12 year old was using. Pretty sad.

I looked online and they do have the Z30. I didn't even know the phone existed. And from what I can see online it seems like a great phone and it is a different offering. Also very good to know about no more sideloading. Honestly had no clue that things were made that much more simple. I renewed my contract during the age of 3 year contracts. I'm pretty sure I am going to wait until my 3 years is up before getting myself a new phone.

Thank you again for your responses and wonderful help.

Elite1 likes this.
    05-17-14 07:36 AM
    Welcome back to CrackBerry!
    05-18-14 11:30 AM
    Welcome back!
    05-18-14 02:33 PM