Just bought into my first BlackBerry products. Been using an iPhone and iPad since they came out and upgrading every year. The new i5 was just the same old same old so bored I decided to jump ship.

Sold off my iDevices (except my iMac, which I love) and bought a Playbook, 9800, and 9700. I was going to get the 9900 from AT&T under contract, but never having a BB before I decided I'd buy a 9800 and 9700 off eBay still like new in their boxes with minimal to no use for cheap to see which I liked best.... the Playbook is a keeper either way.

So, I went from no BlackBerry to three BB devices today. (the Playbook I got 3 days ago actually, the two phones came today).

I get to learn this whole new OS....... fun. Thank god it is intuitive and self integrating. Very easy to use so far.

I've been developing iApps and hacking things for years, as well as just recently messing with Android (which I don't like) hacking ICS onto my Kindle (which pretty much collects dust otherwise). I moderate many very large internet forums and have more than 30,000 posts and 50+ DIY's on many of those forums so "just another forum" here to join and enjoy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-28-12 08:01 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

(And secondly, thanks for filling out the pertinent info for your profile.)

I'll bet you'll be a quick study. A cool thing when starting up with BB isn't figuring out what they can do, but rather figuring out your favourite way to do them. Many functions have 2-4 different ways of being accomplished. Explore the menus & options in the Options app and just by pressing the MENU key (i.e. BB logo key) on virtually any screen.
    You should be delighted by keyboard shortcuts. Scan the CB 101 Tutorials here for numerous little tips & tricks.
    And with the Bridge app, check out the Remote Control functions for using your BB with your PB. (I'd recommend using the 9800 for this because it's touchscreem and 9700 isn't.)

Look forward to your fresh perspective here in the Forums.
    09-29-12 07:09 AM
    Thanks for the tips Hard to decide between these two right now. One is much easier to use with the touch screen, but one is much nicer looking and works very well.
    09-29-12 06:13 PM
    Thanks for the tips Hard to decide between these two right now. One is much easier to use with the touch screen, but one is much nicer looking and works very well.
    Hence popularity of 9900 and also 9790, both with same candybar full-qwerty form factor as 9700 but with touchscreen too.

I used the 9700 and the 9800 each for approx 1 entire year, and now the 9900 for an entire year too. All are well-built.
    The 9700 has particularly great battery life. I do miss that�
    09-29-12 06:23 PM
    Bonus for me, I just looked and the Torch is a 9810!! Guy had a nicer phone than he said that was selling it.
    09-29-12 06:51 PM
    Hello, welcome to the forums

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Here's the two phones shot from my Playbook's camera

09-29-12 07:44 PM
    Bonus for me, I just looked and the Torch is a 9810!! Guy had a nicer phone than he said that was selling it.
    Oh very nice bonus indeed! 9810 was a great improvement over 9800 with better battery life & less memory loss, in general.
    Plus close to double the screen resolution.

From any screen on any BB, you can press ALT+SHIFT+H to open a Help Me page that shows your OS version on 3rd line as "App Version." 9700 released with OS5, so ensure it's been updated to an OS6 build, 6.0.0.6xx or 6.0.0.7xx. Likewise, 9810 released with OS7, so ensure it's been updated to OS7.1. You want 7.1.0.5xx, 6xx, or 714. Or if you're on AT&T, you want OS 7.1.0 694.
    09-29-12 08:05 PM
    Thank you Nice trick I have had to learn so many OS's over the last few years I am getting weary of constantly learning OS's, but this is one worth learning so.........

Anywho this worked fine.

09-29-12 08:39 PM
    Hi and welcome. Hope you like your new devices and maybe you'll even develop a cool app for us.
    09-29-12 08:57 PM
    Is there an app to show the battery percentage? LOL. I'm annoyed by the battery bar not showing percentage.
    09-29-12 09:47 PM
    Is there an app to show the battery percentage? LOL. I'm annoyed by the battery bar not showing percentage.
    BatteryEx is one. It adds a little battery icon with exact percentage to the Home Screen notification area.
    (See screenshot at bottom.)
    It's not in App World, as far as I know. From your BB's Browser, go here:
    http://www.mfarg.com/bb/app/Battery%...ryEx%202.0.jad
    Please let me know if that link worked.

09-29-12 10:57 PM
    Appears to have worked Thank you. I love tweaks. I wish there were more useful ones like that.
    09-29-12 11:32 PM
    Welcome o. l. t.

So... What is your opinion about the 9700? Is it still a good option for current days?
    10-01-12 02:43 PM
    I love it and the fact is that if you are going to be using a bold you are not going to use the touch screen anyway due to it's size. It's more cumbersome than just becoming a track pad hero. There are clear advantages to buying a 9900/9930 and you should always buy the best you can afford, but the 9700 relevant in todays market? Yes indeed. I have not put my sim in the 9810 one time (and it is a current model AND nice big touch screen) because I can't seem to put the 9700 down long enough. I played with the 9810 which is a 4g with better specs and after a day I picked the bold up and that was that....... hooked like a fish. The 9700 feels like a feather in your hand compared to the 9810 which feels very heavy. I am always aware I am lugging the 9810 around when I move it around the house, but I have walked outside for ten minutes without realizing I am holding the 9700.

If I could sell the 9700 and 9810 and buy a 9930 I would just because bigger is better, but no chance I'd skip over a 9700 for any reason. I love it.
    Last edited by o. l. t.; 10-01-12 at 06:37 PM.
    uglyduckly likes this.
    10-01-12 06:32 PM
    Question for anyone viewing, I have a guy on Craigslist wanting to give me $130 for my 9810. I see them closing maybe $175 to $210 or so on ebay? I'm trying to determine the average sale price of one if anyone has any idea. It would be complete with box and accy's so might be worth the higher end of the price range. Anyone have any ideas? I need to decide what to sell it to him for.
    10-02-12 02:54 PM
    Question for anyone viewing, I have a guy on Craigslist wanting to give me $130 for my 9810. I see them closing maybe $175 to $210 or so on ebay? I'm trying to determine the average sale price of one if anyone has any idea. It would be complete with box and accy's so might be worth the higher end of the price range. Anyone have any ideas? I need to decide what to sell it to him for.
    Average price varies highly from region to region.
    You'd sell it for a lot more here in Vancouver. Like $3xx-something. (But then you'd have to pay our taxes and afford some of the most expensive real estate in North America!)

If there are no blemishes, scratches, defects, etc, then I'd say hold firm for the higher end of the price spectrum, especially considering you've got the other stuff to throw in with it.
    Again, I'm not familiar with the used phone market in TN, so maybe look at how old listings are at their higher end of price range on CL.
    One piece of advice: I've found I sell things much more easily on CL if I include my phone number in the ad.
    uglyduckly likes this.
    10-02-12 03:20 PM
    Welcome o. l. t.

So... What is your opinion about the 9700? Is it still a good option for current days?
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you.

The 9700 is still a great phone. Good processor, great battery life.
    However, a 9780 would be that much better with double the app memory of the space-challenged 9700.
    (And the the 9790 that much better still with touchscreen and next-gen firmware.)

See if you can line up a 9780 over a 9700, otherwise a 9700 is more than competent.
    uglyduckly likes this.
    10-02-12 03:24 PM
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]
    I love it and the fact is that if you are going to be using a bold you are not going to use the touch screen anyway due to it's size. It's more cumbersome than just becoming a track pad hero. There are clear advantages to buying a 9900/9930 and you should always buy the best you can afford, but the 9700 relevant in todays market? Yes indeed. I have not put my sim in the 9810 one time (and it is a current model AND nice big touch screen) because I can't seem to put the 9700 down long enough. I played with the 9810 which is a 4g with better specs and after a day I picked the bold up and that was that....... hooked like a fish. The 9700 feels like a feather in your hand compared to the 9810 which feels very heavy. I am always aware I am lugging the 9810 around when I move it around the house, but I have walked outside for ten minutes without realizing I am holding the 9700.

If I could sell the 9700 and 9810 and buy a 9930 I would just because bigger is better, but no chance I'd skip over a 9700 for any reason. I love it.
    The 9700 is still a great phone. Good processor, great battery life.
    However, a 9780 would be that much better with double the app memory of the space-challenged 9700.
    (And the the 9790 that much better still with touchscreen and next-gen firmware.)

See if you can line up a 9780 over a 9700, otherwise a 9700 is more than competent.

Thanks for your replies.
    10-02-12 06:23 PM
    Ship it to Portugal and i'll give you 175!
    10-02-12 06:25 PM
    Lol.

I appreciate the much better specs it has than my 9700, but i just love the bold. I'd hang onto it otherwise. Another thing is that at&t told me that with the torch being a 4g id have to change my data setup even using it as a temp backup. Kinda thinking i don't like it as much as my bold AND it'll screw up my data plan if plug into it.
    10-02-12 06:32 PM
    Well I have an update to my short life of Blackberry ownership. I did indeed sell the 9810 and 9700 on Craigslist and bought an unlocked Verizon 9930. I figured this would be the end of it and I'd be happy since the 9900 series is indeed the perfect phone for me, then I learned I can only get edge data on it through AT&T. :::FACEPALM:::

So I went BACK to ebay again one day later and bought an unlocked AT&T 9900. I'm waiting on both phones to get here. The 9930 will be here tomorrow.... I'll likely get the 9900 thursday or friday, then I can put it on craigslist and get my money back. It wasn't too bad I bought them both for $260 each so I didn't spend a lot and I'm sure I'll be able to sell it rather instantly for that. I just REALLY wish I had known ahead of time, but that is one of those little details that comes along later since the correct answer when you ask someone if it will work on AT&T since it is unlocked is "yes it will work". (that's exactly what I got too when I asked).

I'll be blissfully content now though because I have been stopping by the AT&T store to play with the 9900 every couple days until mine gets here. I LOVE it.
    10-07-12 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD