OK, maybe I am just stupid or something but I'm trying to use a USB cable to download an MP3 ringtone to my BB8830 from my PC. When I plug the cable into the PC and the phone I get the following on my phone:

USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed.

I'm on Verizon. The only USB port I have on the phone is the one where I plug in my charger.
    07-13-07 09:34 AM
    The problem is not with your phone, it's with the USB port on your PC that you are plugging it into. You are most likely plugging it into a "passive" or un-powered USB port, something that was meant for data only. Older Dells had powered USB ports on the back, but the ones on the front under the flap were un-powered and virtually useless.
    07-13-07 09:50 AM
    No, sorry rrebo! The answer is, install Desktop Manager (DM), and all will work fine...
    07-13-07 09:58 AM
    yea, waht Navilyn said. But listen, on my stupid Desktop Manager CD, they screwed up. I put in the disk and it went to some tutorial crap that was worthless. What I had to do was explore into the disk, clicked /files/exec/setup.exe to actually set up the Desktop Manager. Either BB screwed up or idk what. so yea, that means you have to instal the Desktop Manager.

Or what you could do, is upload your ringtones to a server and download them from there. thats how i did it, it was a lot faster than installing the DM on every other computer i have ( i work with more than 6 computers) so yea.
    07-13-07 11:30 AM
    No, sorry rrebo! The answer is, install Desktop Manager (DM), and all will work fine...
    Yep I discovered that little jewel. Not the brightest bulb am I? I'm trying to install it right now but it seems to be just hanging there. How long do you think it should take to install?
    07-13-07 12:25 PM
    Yep I discovered that little jewel. Not the brightest bulb am I? I'm trying to install it right now but it seems to be just hanging there. How long do you think it should take to install?
    it usually stays there for like 5min, it may seem like its freezing but hopefully its not
    07-13-07 12:30 PM
    It has been OVER 5 minutes now. Probably closer to 10 or more.
    07-13-07 12:40 PM
    Ah, see, I assumed DM was already installed! That's what I get for assuming...

Still, it seems odd that not having DM installed would generate an error about insufficient current. You'd think it would say something about not having the right drivers installed or somesuch.
    07-13-07 12:43 PM
    Ah, see, I assumed DM was already installed! That's what I get for assuming...

Still, it seems odd that not having DM installed would generate an error about insufficient current. You'd think it would say something about not having the right drivers installed or somesuch.
    it said the same thing on my phone connected through USB and i hadnt installed DM
    07-13-07 12:50 PM
    You have to be patient! Desktop Manager (DM) is 231mb, takes at least 15 minutes to install, unless you have the file on your pc, i.e. not from the CD.

As for the wizard, when it starts, you select begin (on the right), and it take you to another screen where you get choices on the right. Select "desktop manager install', and it's next, next, next from there...

yea, waht Navilyn said. But listen, on my stupid Desktop Manager CD, they screwed up. I put in the disk and it went to some tutorial crap that was worthless. What I had to do was explore into the disk, clicked /files/exec/setup.exe to actually set up the Desktop Manager. Either BB screwed up or idk what. so yea, that means you have to instal the Desktop Manager.

Or what you could do, is upload your ringtones to a server and download them from there. thats how i did it, it was a lot faster than installing the DM on every other computer i have ( i work with more than 6 computers) so yea.
    07-13-07 01:56 PM
    If you'd like to get it to charge without installing the Desktop Manager (and dealing with a huge download, long install process, etc.) just plug in your phone and then use Windows Update. It will automatically find your device and install (only) the driver for you.
    07-16-07 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD