This is also a good lesson in backing up important files to removable media like a USB thumb drive, or a external drive. These are becoming more and more affordable AND regardless of price are worth the expense! I would advise that you each get a USB thumb drive keychain fob, which you can find at your local electronics store, and maybe ALSO a family external hard drive. Just food for thought.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-15-14 11:27 AM
    I keep my documents on Sky Drive. This let's me sync them between all my devices.

This also gets synced to a media server at home. That server has two raid cards. One for media (raid0). And one for backups(raid5).

The backup half runs a daily / weekly / monthly and yearly backup snapshot using Areca and backs up the media side to the backup side - as well as backing up other various PC's at my home.

Which means any document on my skydrive or PCs can be easily recovered to almost any point in the last year and is always accessible.

But I'm crazy that way

Posted via CB from my LE
    pkcable likes this.
    01-15-14 01:46 PM
    I keep my documents on Sky Drive. This let's me sync them between all my devices.

This also gets synced to a media server at home. That server has two raid cards. One for media (raid0). And one for backups(raid5).

The backup half runs a daily / weekly / monthly and yearly backup snapshot using Areca and backs up the media side to the backup side - as well as backing up other various PC's at my home.

Which means any document on my skydrive or PCs can be easily recovered to almost any point in the last year and is always accessible.

But I'm crazy that way

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thumbs up for cloud storage! Skydrive, Box, Google Drive, iCloud, etc!
    KermEd likes this.
    01-15-14 02:52 PM
    Amen!

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-15-14 03:55 PM
    Welcome to the forums.
    I just saw this now, but external hard drives, and good ones like Seagates, are very inexpensive. I picked up one on sale from Best Buy that was 1 TB for $65. Even at regular prices 500 MB ones are about $60.
    And worth every penny. Especially, in a case like this. Back up once a week, and you are set.

Sent from my XT1056 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-15-14 10:04 PM
    Just don't put all your data on one drive

Posted via CB from my LE
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-16-14 06:34 AM
    Why can't I put it all on one drive? I like the idea of a sky drive and I've used USB keys in the past, but never a external hard drive. Is the benefit just the amount of space?

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    01-16-14 10:44 PM
    Why can't I put it all on one drive? I like the idea of a sky drive and I've used USB keys in the past, but never a external hard drive. Is the benefit just the amount of space?

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    The idea is to have 2 or more backups. If you only have it in your PC and an external hard drive and your home say, burns down, you still lost your data. Having a cloud backup negates that loss.

Sent from my XT1056 using CB Forums mobile app
    KermEd likes this.
    01-17-14 08:46 AM
33 12