Hello, I'm a new blackberry user, having owned various different mobile phones through the years I decided I'd quite like the constantly connected world of the RIM devices

Unluckily for me, I didnt really do my homework too well, and received my curve black-emerald 2 weeks prior to orange offering the bold

Still, I'm more than happy with my new device and will be looking forward to finding out as much information regarding the device as possible from you guys.

One immediate question I have is, when I connect to my WLAN at home, I get UMA on-screen and I'm aware that calls are also routed through the WLAN connection, but the data I'm accessing, is it free and not part of my monthly 250Mb/fair use policy?

Just really wondering if there's any point in me using WLAN whilst at home if data is still taken from my allowance.

Also, is it possible to connect data only to the WLAN as I've heard reports of less-than-perfect calls made over UMA?
    09-27-08 01:35 PM
    Welcome to the addiction. When you are connected to the wifi you data shoould be free.
    09-27-08 01:44 PM
    Welcome to the addiction like me and others. Im still considered a newbie as well. I think on all the phones that wifi access is free. Usually if not theyd say theres an extra charge but there shouldnt be.
    09-27-08 01:49 PM
    welcome to crackberry
    09-27-08 01:50 PM
    *waives*

Thanks for the replies
    09-27-08 01:52 PM
    Hello & welcome to the CB family!
    09-27-08 01:58 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 02:00 PM
    your welcome for the waives. Feel free to ask anything thats on your mind i guess? haha
    09-27-08 02:13 PM
    OK, will do!

Whats the differences between the different browser configuration options?

I have Internet Browser, Orange World and Wi-Fi Browser, and I'm not too sure which setting I should be using?
    09-27-08 02:20 PM
    wifi is for spots you cant get to use your regular internet..use your regular internet and in need then use the wifi for better signal strength! feel free to bb message me.. my pin is under my sig and all that.
    09-27-08 03:37 PM
    wel come to cb
    09-27-08 03:49 PM
    welcome to CRACKBERRY!!!!
    09-27-08 04:09 PM
    Welcome to CB land. Enjoy your new BB, Stef.
    09-27-08 04:23 PM
    Welcome to BB/CB

09-27-08 04:31 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

09-27-08 04:52 PM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    09-27-08 05:12 PM
    Hello and welcome...... Hope you enjoy the addiction.
    09-27-08 05:23 PM
    I've just upgraded to 4.5 via the official website and all went well.

The only thing is, Docs2go was not included, and I've seen that it needs to be checked in the Apploader. The only problem is that in my Apploader there's no option for Docs2go and I cannot find it anywhere on my PC.

Someone posted that I needed to look in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared but I do not have a shared folder, and cannot find any reference to it in the folders that are there.

Can anyone offer any help? Do I need to download docs2go seperately and then install it with the apploader?

Also, after doing the upgrade, and then synching the phone, I now have spurious birthdays created in some of my contacts which definitely were not there prior, is this a known problem?
    09-28-08 06:55 PM
    welcome to cb!
    09-29-08 12:36 AM
    Hi and Welcome to Crackberry!!!!
    09-29-08 11:03 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.
    09-29-08 12:42 PM
    Hello, I'm a new blackberry user, having owned various different mobile phones through the years I decided I'd quite like the constantly connected world of the RIM devices

Unluckily for me, I didnt really do my homework too well, and received my curve black-emerald 2 weeks prior to orange offering the bold

Still, I'm more than happy with my new device and will be looking forward to finding out as much information regarding the device as possible from you guys.

One immediate question I have is, when I connect to my WLAN at home, I get UMA on-screen and I'm aware that calls are also routed through the WLAN connection, but the data I'm accessing, is it free and not part of my monthly 250Mb/fair use policy?

Just really wondering if there's any point in me using WLAN whilst at home if data is still taken from my allowance.

Also, is it possible to connect data only to the WLAN as I've heard reports of less-than-perfect calls made over UMA?
    I'm not sure about your provider. I have to pay an additional $10 US to avoid the UMA minutes counting against my call minutes -- the quality of my UMA calling is as good as using my provider's network. You should check with your provider. It is a great benefit if you can get it. I don't know about data, I got an unlimited plan, but again, check with your provider before running up a huge bill

Be sure to visit the WiFi guide in my signature for answers to your WiFi questions. As for browser settings the following will really improve your view and browsing experience:
    Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

Oh, welcome to CB!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/
    Last edited by exelant; 09-29-08 at 01:39 PM.
    09-29-08 12:56 PM
    I've just upgraded to 4.5 via the official website and all went well.

The only thing is, Docs2go was not included, and I've seen that it needs to be checked in the Apploader. The only problem is that in my Apploader there's no option for Docs2go and I cannot find it anywhere on my PC.

Someone posted that I needed to look in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared but I do not have a shared folder, and cannot find any reference to it in the folders that are there.

Can anyone offer any help? Do I need to download docs2go seperately and then install it with the apploader?

Also, after doing the upgrade, and then synching the phone, I now have spurious birthdays created in some of my contacts which definitely were not there prior, is this a known problem?
    Which version of 4.5 did you install? It has been there for me since .55. You may need to download another copy, install it on your computer and see if DtoG is there.
    Last edited by exelant; 09-29-08 at 01:44 PM.
    09-29-08 01:41 PM
    I've no idea to be honest, and when I check the phone application version, it just states 4.5.0

How do I go about installing it on my PC? When I did the upgrade last night, it installed via an ActiveX applet and did it automatically, although I did get a message telling me I needed to reboot prior to installing the software so as to get Desktop Manager in the correct state, or something to that effect!
    09-29-08 01:52 PM
    I've no idea to be honest, and when I check the phone application version, it just states 4.5.0

How do I go about installing it on my PC? When I did the upgrade last night, it installed via an ActiveX applet and did it automatically, although I did get a message telling me I needed to reboot prior to installing the software so as to get Desktop Manager in the correct state, or something to that effect!

Press alt-left shift-H on your device. Go to app version and let me know all 5 numbers.
    Last edited by exelant; 09-29-08 at 02:35 PM.
    09-29-08 01:55 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD