I have a few questions on the GPS option. I have the 8820 and was wondering if I can use the GPS option with Google maps. I do no have any data type or GPS plan and do not want to get charged for using this feature. Any ideas if I will get charged for using the GPS? Also, is Google maps an application that I can download and use without the wifi enabled? Are the maps contained within the application or do you need a constant wifi signal?
    Thanks for any help,
    -newbie in training
    10-05-08 10:19 AM
    I don't think that's possible, since you can't download the whole map at once.

it kind of refreshes/downloads as you scroll through.
    10-05-08 11:02 AM
    Unfortunately you will have to get a data plan to use Google Maps on the go, since there are no maps pre installed.

And as for GPS, different carriers charge different amounts for use of the gps service, there are also 3rd party suppliers (ie Garmin) for GPS aswell.

So, unless you are constantly in a wifi hotspot you will not be able to use these features (bases on your specification of not wanting to be charged for usage)

10-05-08 11:08 AM
    Without a data plan you best bet would be Trek Buddy!
    10-05-08 01:24 PM
    1) You do not need a GPS to use Google Maps. It works off of cell towers. However is works better if you have a GPS. Without GPS it will get you within 1800 meters and with GPS 20 meters.

2) I have an 8320 with T-Mobile that does not have GPS and I purchased an external Bluetooth GPS that works just fine with Google Maps, BB Maps, amAze (which I would recommend since it has voice built in).

May I ask why have a Curve and not a data plan?
    Last edited by TheBronx; 10-05-08 at 06:55 PM.
    10-05-08 06:51 PM
    I have an 8320 (with tmobile too) and I downloaded GM the other day. I know it uses cell towers (I have no extra GPS device or anything)....but my god it's sooo accurate. Used it to get from the bronx to brooklyn without any issues. I had no idea the locations and all that would be THAT specific with just the use of towers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 04:30 PM
    I use the google maps also. Just make sure you have unlimited internet as I have heard it is a lot of bandwidth to use it.
    10-06-08 05:06 PM
    some conflicting info here?
    Some say you need wifi and some don't. I have the GPS built into my phone but I do not have the data plan. So whats the verdict? Can I use the GPS function without the wifi enabled and without a data plan?
    10-06-08 07:20 PM
    Where do I get google maps
    10-07-08 09:38 AM
    I'm pretty sure your gps is unlocked on tmobile. As long as your using gps and not my location you should be gravy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 10:11 AM
    so google maps will work with my 8820 with no data, wifi or GPS plan?
    10-09-08 07:27 PM
    anybody have any thoughts?
    10-11-08 05:49 PM
    Where do I get google maps
    You can check out this link:
    Google Mobile - Maps

I do not use Google Maps to often. With Verizon disabling the GPS, it's always 1800 to 2100 meters off when it tries to locate me via cell towers.
    10-11-08 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD