Major BB noob (albeit technically savvy) with Curve 8330.

Got my BB via Verizon, got my personal hotmail email account on it right off. Then took it in to work and got my office email added to my BB.

So I'm getting emails from both accounts, however, the filters (setting up on the BB) only seem to work on my office emails. The filters don't seem to work on the inbound hotmail emails.

When I go to email options it is set on 'Desktop' with my hotmail account as an alternate selection. I'm not quite sure how this winds up working - my office email and calendars are sync'ed and my hotmail account is sync'ed (if I delete an email on the BB I can also elect to delete it from my hotmail account which I access from a PC at home).

Since I originally had access to internet and my hotmail before adding my work account, I'm presuming I'm on BIS. Is there an easy way to tell on the device if I'm on BIS or BES?? And any suggestions on getting email filters to work against my non-office emails?? And one other thing, if I try to login to hotmail via BB browser (I activated Java, etc.) it seems to download a significant amount of data but the screen just stays blank...??

Any suggestions, clarification or help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
    09-27-08 11:32 PM
    To be on BES, you have to be given a one-time Enterprise Activation password by your employer's IT dept. Then you use that to activate the Enterprise. If you haven't done those steps, you are not on BES.

Filters will work on BIS. Try creating them with Desktop Manager, instead of on the device.
    09-28-08 12:11 AM
    To be on BES, you have to be given a one-time Enterprise Activation password by your employer's IT dept. Then you use that to activate the Enterprise. If you haven't done those steps, you are not on BES.

Filters will work on BIS. Try creating them with Desktop Manager, instead of on the device.
    Thanks for the quick response!

Here's the deal (I read one of your BIS/BES replies in another thread) - I had my BB up and working with my personal email so I had to have been on BIS.

The next day at work, I asked to get my office Outlook on my BB - the IT guy took my BB and was busy on it for a couple of minutes, gave it back to me and my work emails/calendar, etc all loaded onto it. I'm guessing at that point he switched me to BES...???

My BB seems to have two email services: 'Desktop' and my hotmail address. With 'Desktop' currently selected. I'm thinking that the service indicated by my hotmail address was replaced by the IT guy...??? When I send an email from my Desktop service I don't get a 'Sent from my....Blackberry' tagline. When I send from my hotmail service I get 'Sent from my Verizon Blackberry'.

If I'm on BES, do I need to have the BES password (or be connected to the work server) in order to use Desktop Manager?? Are the filters actually applied at the device or at the server??

Thanks again!
    Last edited by wyliec2; 09-28-08 at 07:10 AM.
    09-28-08 06:14 AM
    To add filters to your hotmail account go here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    09-28-08 07:03 AM
    To add filters to your hotmail account go here: (Verizon BIS site - can't post URLs yet)
    OK - another funky thing - the guy at the Verizon store started up my Blackberry and got my BIS setup - so I'm guessing he set up an account here?? (This would be much easier if everyone had just let me do all this myself instead of being so 'helpful')

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm now on BES since I'm completely sync'd with work Outlook.

So I go to the Verizon BIS site and cannot log on. So I try to create a new account using my PIN and ESN - get message 'Account Already Exists'

So I do a 'forgot password' and have password sent to my BB. Message there says 'username and password are blank'......WTH

This is irritating - I know exactly how I want to configure the device and know that it is capable of it - but because everything was 'done for me' I'm having to reverse engineer how the darn thing was originally set up.

And, again, thanks for any/all suggestions!!
    Last edited by wyliec2; 09-28-08 at 07:39 AM.
    09-28-08 07:36 AM
    ...If I'm on BES, do I need to have the BES password (or be connected to the work server) in order to use Desktop Manager?? Are the filters actually applied at the device or at the server??

Thanks again!
    No, you don't need your BES password to connect to the desktop manager. When you're on BES, you're always connected to the work server (as long as you have a cell signal).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-08 01:14 PM
    No, you don't need your BES password to connect to the desktop manager. When you're on BES, you're always connected to the work server (as long as you have a cell signal).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok, I feel you must think you're talking to a brick (me)

I connect my cell phone to my PC. Enter the password and BB Device Manager --> Properties shows my BB. When I look at the Statistics page and expand Servers I see my employer's bberry server but under Status it just shows 'Connecting' - doesn't change from that.

I lauch Desktop Manager on my PC - I am able to do all functions EXCEPT Email Settings - I can do backups and load pictures onto my BB. The Email Settings function is greyed out and when I click on it, it says 'Email settings are not available without an online connection to my messaging system'.

I'm not sure what I need to do to accomplish that connection...I've tried it from home connected to my office via a VPN - can I only use Desktop Manager from a PC at work??

Thanks Much!!!!!
    09-28-08 06:06 PM
    I connect my cell phone to my PC. Enter the password and BB Device Manager --> Properties shows my BB. When I look at the Statistics page and expand Servers I see my employer's bberry server but under Status it just shows 'Connecting' - doesn't change from that.

I lauch Desktop Manager on my PC - I am able to do all functions EXCEPT Email Settings - I can do backups and load pictures onto my BB. The Email Settings function is greyed out and when I click on it, it says 'Email settings are not available without an online connection to my messaging system'.

I'm not sure what I need to do to accomplish that connection...I've tried it from home connected to my office via a VPN - can I only use Desktop Manager from a PC at work??

Thanks Much!!!!!
    I had never looked at my Device Manager Properties before. Device Connection shows connected to USB. The Statistics page shows 'Connecting' to my employer's server and doesn't change. So that part seems to be consistent with your experience. But when I run Desktop Manager, my email settings are not grayed out. Do you have an active network connection to your PC? That might be one difference.
    09-28-08 07:31 PM
    I'd like to jump in here as well to get some advice on much the same subject.

I have my 8820 from work using BES and it works great.

I then added my yahoo account to it and now all of my e-mails are in one box. However, I also have a separate yahoo email folder on my desktop.

How do I keep my yahoo e-mail out of my work e-mail folder and make it stay in its home in the yahoo folder?

Mike
    09-29-08 07:33 AM
    Is there a way to keep my personal email out of my general message box?
    09-29-08 08:24 AM
    By design, ALL messages go to the Messages Folder, as well as to their respective BIS inboxes. You can't turn this off. There is not a separate inbox for BES mail. BES only goes to the Messages Folder, where all the other mail also goes. So if you are on BES, there is no way to separate the Enterprise mail and the BIS mail. Some people choose to separate the SMS and email inboxes and hide the Messages folder. The other option (that I prefer) is to let the Message Folder be a one-stop-shop for all message traffic. I don't separate SMS and emails, and I hide the email inboxes. It's user preference, either way.

Here is a 3rd party app that will give you a BES mail box. I haven't used it. Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox
    09-29-08 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD