Hello all! I am a new Curve user and going overseas next week. I have T-Mobile in the US.

I am trying to figure out the most economical way to call home, txt home, and possibly check email/web sites. I believe that my hotel has free wi-fi and I would like to take advantage of that as much as possible. However, in the event I can't find free wi-fi I am okay with making a few short roaming calls over cell.

My real question is what settings do I need to turn on and off so my phone doesn't try and get a data signal while roaming? Is there a setting for "data when on wi-fi only?" I am scared I am going to come home to a $500 bill because my blackberry was downloading email or connecting to google maps or something foolish while I am around town.
    04-06-08 10:07 AM
    Definitely give your service provider a call before you leave! They should be able to tell you what settings & other details about your phone/service while traveling. I'm not sure if T-Mo would have service over there.. but what I do is just use a foreign carrier SIM card because I have the same fear of getting a $1000 phone bill every time I leave the country!

Welcome to CB!
    04-06-08 01:34 PM
    Yea just use a sim card for a carrier there I don't think you will get tmo service over there anyway.
    04-06-08 01:39 PM
    To use a local sim card abroad your BB would need to be unlocked. Using a local sim card however will not let you use BB features such as email.

Wifi might be possible but i AM 100% sure.

Welcome to CB.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 04-06-08 at 01:53 PM.
    04-06-08 01:51 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    04-06-08 02:20 PM
    Here's a solution that will allow you to save cash on phone bills and retain your Blackberry data connection - also at reduced rates.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/trav...lutions-26285/
    04-06-08 02:42 PM
    have fun on your trip
    04-06-08 05:36 PM
    Welcome 2 CB. Enjoy your stay in France.
    04-06-08 07:33 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!! Enjoy your trip!!!
    04-07-08 11:00 AM
    I see you got you an Original 8300 curve, really great choice and you will absolutely love it.
    Welcome to cb.
    Enjoy
    04-08-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD