Hello all,

I text alot to say the least (have to please the girlfriend) using an Verizon LG phone and I text away with no issues. I am planning on getting the Storm but I am unsure on how blackberry texting works. All messages I receive/send will be from/to non-blackberrys. I need to text more than 160 characters per message, but is this simply just not possible on RIM blackberrys? I understand MMS and SMS are two different types of messaging capabilities, but to send one or the other do you select from two different apps? One app sends an MMS message another sends SMS? Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Matt.
    10-04-08 05:31 PM
    Sms texts are text only. Mms texts are media texts -- you can send pictures along with your text message. When you open your mail icon, you press the menu key and select the type of message you want to send -- email, sms or mms.

I have mine separated so I can click on either my email icon or my text icon. It is very easy to choose which type you want to use and to enter the recipient's address. The character limits aren't much of a problem for me, the texts are tracked in a list. I just send when close to the limit and start the next one to continue the conversation. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 10-04-08 at 06:57 PM.
    10-04-08 06:53 PM
    It doesn't matter who you send texts to or what type of device. BlackBerry's will send them to any number you enter.

10-04-08 07:01 PM
    Hello all,

I text alot to say the least (have to please the girlfriend) using an Verizon LG phone and I text away with no issues. I am planning on getting the Storm but I am unsure on how blackberry texting works. All messages I receive/send will be from/to non-blackberrys. I need to text more than 160 characters per message, but is this simply just not possible on RIM blackberrys? I understand MMS and SMS are two different types of messaging capabilities, but to send one or the other do you select from two different apps? One app sends an MMS message another sends SMS? Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Matt.
    I've noticed the character limit to be on CDMA carriers. On AT&T, it goes pass 160, but sends them as two messages. You also get charged for two messages (not $$, but allotment.)

SMS/MMS can be with your messages (email) or separate, but SMS and MMS are not split.
    10-04-08 08:39 PM
    I have a question since you say (I haveto please my girl) so the question is does she have a bb and if so why don't ya just use bb msgr to talk and use sms for everyone else and no matter how many mms/sms messgs you send aslong as you have the right package/data plan you will be ok and if your sms are long they will be in too parts for sure

10-04-08 09:47 PM
    Good point, bbm is a nice aplication, you can send pictures with it and it has some funny smileys as well.

10-04-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD