Hello, This is my first post and my first Blackberry. I've had my Curve since this past Saturday and bought a nice blackberry OEM case with the auto-sleep mode magnet. However, every time I put the phone in the case, the phone "wakes up" out of sleep mode and stays on and doesn't go back into sleep mode. It's super weird. I've been reading forum posts and researching, but isn't the phone supposed to go into sleep mode when you put it in the holster? I even did some tests - I took the phone out of the holster, locked it, rubbed my finger across the trackball . . . and nothing happened. But if I the put case over the trackball it "wakes up!" Maybe I should just get another case? Are there any settings for the case working in conjunction with the phone that I can set? Please help if you can. Thanks.
    10-22-08 12:46 AM
    Hello & welcome to the CB family!
    I'm sorry Duke, I don't have an answer for you--but welcome aboard & hang tight, someone will be able to give you an answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 01:00 AM
    Try a reset. Press ALT+Right Shift+DEL
    10-22-08 01:05 AM
    Welcome to the Crackberry.com family as well.
    10-22-08 01:15 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the "special magnet" just any old low power magnet? It shouldn't be the case causing the problem, but more than likely a setting in your BB. Check what you have selected in range of headset versus phone.

Good luck

RM
    10-22-08 05:43 AM
    Hello, This is my first post and my first Blackberry. I've had my Curve since this past Saturday and bought a nice blackberry OEM case with the auto-sleep mode magnet. However, every time I put the phone in the case, the phone "wakes up" out of sleep mode and stays on and doesn't go back into sleep mode. It's super weird. I've been reading forum posts and researching, but isn't the phone supposed to go into sleep mode when you put it in the holster? I even did some tests - I took the phone out of the holster, locked it, rubbed my finger across the trackball . . . and nothing happened. But if I the put case over the trackball it "wakes up!" Maybe I should just get another case? Are there any settings for the case working in conjunction with the phone that I can set? Please help if you can. Thanks.
    I think you might have a faulty case.

First, the concept. The phone goes to sleep when the magnet is above the sensor, and it wakes when the magnet moves away from the sensor. The sensor is probably somewhere near the bottom of the keyboard, on my Bold it seems to be behind the Space key.

I've been testing here because my Bold confused me by dumping 2 calls this morning as I pulled it from the case. Does your case have the magnetic strap closer as well as the sleeper magnet? I think the phone is waking when it passes the strap magnet but not seeing the sleeper magnet - the sleeper magnet might even be missing from the case.

The sleeper magnet should be just above the sensor when the phone is fully home in the case (if its a horizontal mount case there might be a magnet at one end only and the phone has to go the right way round, if top of phone is the wrong end it doesn't sleep).

Here is what I see with a top loading case. Starting with the phone awake, I slide the phone slowly into the case watching the screen for sleep. As the sensor passes the strap magnet the screen blanks, then wakes as the magnet moves away (phone less than 1/2 way into case). Sliding the phone fully into the case the sleeper magnet triggers the sensor about 10mm from fully home. Pulling the phone slowly out of the case the screen wakes when the phone has moved about 13mm from home, then sleeps again while it passes the strap magnet.

(This was what dumped my calls, the phone was set to auto-hang when put into the holster, and it saw the strap magnet as a shutdown signal as I pulled the phone out from the case).

HTH
    10-22-08 06:37 AM
    Hey, thank you for the "welcomes," and I've tried some new settings on the phone, but nothing seems to be working. I think I'm just going to go get a new case and be done with it. I really appreciate the feedback. Oh, and I absolutely love my Curve. I've got a 4GB card in that baby and I've got around 18 albums, and 10 videos (full tv show episodes) and still have around a Gig of space left. And I used google maps today in a real situation and it felt great being able to find my way right from my phone . . . I am truly a fan! Thanks guys.
    10-22-08 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD