hi,

Can someone help me understand what i need to do in order to download an OS that will allow me to read korean font? I understand that I have to install a new OS on my BB, i just dont understand HOW......can anyone give a confused girl some tips?

much appreciated!
    11-20-08 11:21 PM
    Have you tried searching Handango for Language Packs?
    11-21-08 12:03 AM
    actually i just found out that i could just download the 4.5 os......i just dont know which website to go to. blackberry.com won't help me because they said att does not support that version yet. Do you know where i can get the 4.5 os for my 8310?
    11-21-08 01:03 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-0-99-a-94790/

I see you have an 8310 so I pulled this link from the curve forum. It says it's multi language and the how to is mentioned on the first post.

I hope this multilanguage contains korean. I often see Korean as an option on OS's I load on various BB's. If you have a problem feel free to PM me, I have many advanced upgrade tips, but don't want to list them all, it'll just confuse with to many choices I think.

You will see whether th OS has Korean at the early stage of the install, if not you can jump ship.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

or at Blackberry:

BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

Blackberry Asia Pacific. BlackBerry

Just remember... to follow the advice from the links below and delete the vendor.xml file.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    11-21-08 01:41 AM
    OMG.....thank you!! So after hours and hours of downloading the 4.5 OS....I finally have it installed on my 8310.....but there is no korean! I just dont know what i did wrong.....

Help please!!!!
    11-23-08 12:09 AM
    Did you check it to be added in desktop manager?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 12:35 AM
    Go back to apploader, Plug your berry in, start desktop manager, open apploader, click on add remove applications, scroll down the list and put a check in the box next to Korean characters and font support, click next and finish. This should add the Korean support you're looking for. While you're there look down the list for anything unchecked that you do want on your berry and make sure it/they are checked as well.
    11-23-08 02:21 AM
    BTW, welcome to the CB family.

And "no", you aren't stupid! These phones can be a challenge sometimes - which is why it's great to have the CB forums!

You've come to the right place for your questions!
    11-23-08 09:31 AM
    11-23-08 03:42 PM
    Hello All,

I am new to CB, and still trying to get to know my curve 8310 (att/cingular). I finally downloaded the 4.7 to my desktop and 4.5 to my handheld, which took a REALLY, REALLY long time....none the less, success....However, I am trying to add Korean font to my phone, and I am having NO luck what so ever.....can someone, please, please help me out with this?

The DM 4.7 did not have Korean as a language option....could this be why? I've been looking at posts, and posts.....and I just don't seem to understand how to add korean to my phone!

Someone please help!
    11-23-08 09:54 PM
    Thanks Kristi!!! I'm still so lost!
    11-23-08 10:04 PM
    You're fine. Check your PM, and we can see if we can get Korean loaded up for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 10:28 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I have merged both of your threads to keep all of the input in one place.

Short answer, No to Desktop Manager, Yes to Device Software.

BlackBerry Search Results

Multi-language - This package includes English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Hungarian, Czech, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Korean, Turkish, Greek, Catalan, Afrikaans, Danish, Dutch, Swedish, and Semitic (which includes Arabic and Hebrew).

This package is for wireless service providers in Canada, Europe and other international carriers.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-24-08 at 10:57 AM.
    11-24-08 10:48 AM
    If you only need to read Korean, then upgrade to Device Software 4.5
    However, to input Korean you can get a Tmobile Curve with Device Software 4.5
    To get Korean input on Verizon, Sprint or ATT Curve you need to take the following steps to extract certain files from another carrier that supports Korean input and put them into your phone.

(1) Download Blackberry Desktop 4.7 multilanguage version from blackberry.com
    blackberry.com/Download...B93E4F3BB068C22
    (sorry can't post url yet - just add www. to beginning)

(2) Go to Blackberry Device Software section and select Asia Pacific - Indosat
    na.blackberry.com/eng/suppor...nload_sites.jsp
    (just add http:// to beginning)

(3) From Indosat select Blackberry Curve 8320 for the Curve

(4) Then go back to the Blackberry Device Software section and select your carrier (e.g. North America - Verizon Curve 8330, Sprint Curve 8320, ATT Curve 8310, Tmobile Curve 8320) and download the latest OS for your blackberry Curve -- version 4.5 for now

(5) Install Blackberry Desktop first then the two Device Softwares

(6) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

(7) Open the Indosat version folder. Open the Java folder

(8) Copy net_rim_tid_Korean.cod and net_rim_bb_options_korean.cod

(9) Go back to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ and open your carrier version folder (e.g. For Verizon the folder is called "8330-v4.5.0.77_P3.2.0.51")

(10) Open the Java folder in your carrier version folder and paste the copied files in there

(11) Go back to your carrier folder and find CJK.alx (e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<your carrier folder>\CJK.alx)

(12) Use notepad to open and edit CJK.alx Use Ctrl+F to find "net_rim_font_korean.cod" You will see this:

</language>
    <fileset Java="1.0">
    <directory>Java</directory>
    <files>
    net_rim_font_korean.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_KR.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_x_Johab.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_KSC5601.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    </application>

(13) Add these two lines and save (no need to make them italic):

</language>
    <fileset Java="1.0">
    <directory>Java</directory>
    <files>
    net_rim_tid_Korean.cod
    net_rim_bb_options_korean.cod
    net_rim_font_korean.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_KR.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_x_Johab.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_KSC5601.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    </application>

(14) Delete Vendor.xml from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader -- This is very important!!!

(15) Run Blackberry Desktop and connect your phone. It will begin the upgrade process for your device.

(16) Check the Korean Font check box and follow the installation process. THE UPGRADE PROCESS TAKES A LONG TIME. IT MAY APPEAR FROZEN BUT DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE UNTIL IT HAS COMPLETELY REBOOTED AND THE DESKTOP SOFTWARE TELLS YOU IT HAS FINISHED!

(17) On your Blackberry, go to Options -> Language -> Input Language to change from English or 한글 or you could use alt-[Enter] to change on-the-fly.

Forgot to mention that you need to do following additional steps before you disconnect your phone from your computer:

(17a) In Blackberry Desktop Manager, run "Application Loader" again.

(17b) Then select "Update Software"

(17c) You will be shown multiple selections (such as "4.5 (Current)" and "4.5.101 (Current)" - Uncheck the 4.5 and check 4.5.101) - then click Finish

(18) You're done.
    Last edited by djkoo_cykor; 01-06-09 at 05:20 AM.
    12-10-08 05:00 PM
    great...thanks for nice instruction... now i can type in korean
    02-09-09 09:42 PM
    I think that Korean font was intalled in my Curve. However, I cannot see any 한글 in the language option.

what can I do..? Anyone can help me??
    04-16-09 08:49 PM
    I can help you without having to update the OS, check the link in my signature block.
    04-18-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD