Ok so I have a few questions before I embark into the great world of Blackberryness. First, I am switching from Verizon to ATT and picking up the 8310. I see the link to Walmart from the home page of Crackberry where the phone is free after rebate. Is there any downside from purchasing my phone this way (basically: should I take this great deal?). Secondly, I am on a mac so will PocketMac serve all my needs as far as adding software and music, etc. to my new Curve? Thirdly, What is the limit as far as storage with a Micro SD card? I know some phones limit you to a certain amount of storage and I'm just curious to know how much I can fit on this thing.

Thanks
    Brad, a future happy person
    10-18-07 12:21 AM
    Ok so I have a few questions before I embark into the great world of Blackberryness. First, I am switching from Verizon to ATT and picking up the 8310. I see the link to Walmart from the home page of Crackberry where the phone is free after rebate. Is there any downside from purchasing my phone this way (basically: should I take this great deal?). Secondly, I am on a mac so will PocketMac serve all my needs as far as adding software and music, etc. to my new Curve? Thirdly, What is the limit as far as storage with a Micro SD card? I know some phones limit you to a certain amount of storage and I'm just curious to know how much I can fit on this thing.

Thanks
    Brad, a future happy person
    I can only speak to the first part. Currently on VZW and wanting a 8310. But, reading the fine print - if you buy from Walmart (Let's Talk) then you get 7 days for a full refund and the phone must have less than 30 minutes of total usage or you're screwed. Exchange possible within 30 days, but again - must be less than 30 minutes of total talk time. For me personally - I'm willing to pay the $300 in store, get a $100 MIR from AT&T and then use RIM's Tradeup program with my 700wx and old T5 and ancient T600 and get $120 total from that. Net cost to me, $80 or so. I get full 30 day in-store whining and replacement rather than having to send something into RIM and being without a phone for days possibly. As I'm a traveling consultant for a living, being sans cell is just not an acceptable situation. Different strokes for different folks but that is what I'm going to do when I get home this coming Friday. YMMV
    10-21-07 09:57 PM
    I can only speak about the first part as well! I would suggest that you pay a little extra money and get the phone from a store. It offers a better time period for you to return the phone. Also if you get the phone and have a problem with it, you have to mail it back where is if you get a phone from a store and have a problem you take it back to the store. When i had Sprint that was the deal.
    Good luck though, i know it's hard to pass up a deal like that.
    10-22-07 08:37 AM
    I have recently had issues with my phone and had to call into ATT support. One of the options that they were looking at was to just "replace" my phone by taking it into a store ... I'VE YET TO EXPERIANCE THIS ... but according to the tech on the phone ATT has changed their policy to be as long as it is within the first 30 days of having the phone you can exchange it in a store no matter how you purchased the phone ...

I'd switch over to a PC if i were you :-p ... hehehe

I have heard various limits on how much external memory the curve can take .... i'd suggest searching for this yourself ...
    10-22-07 09:11 AM
    thanks great feedback....just curious what is this trade up program you speak of volsfan?

p.s. you're lucky you beat us this year GO DAWGS!!
    10-25-07 12:46 AM
    The Curve's can use the new MicroSD SDHC cards. However, it gets tricky above 4 gig at the moment. Rumor has it the 4.3 version of the BB OS will make using a 6 gig or 8 gig a lot easier.

However, note that only media can be placed on the microSD Media Card. i.e video, pictures, ringtones & music. You can not install applications or store data on the Media card for any standard BB apps. There are a few applications starting to appear that may allow you to put some data in the card. I have MobiPocket ver 6.0 beta that will store my e-books & RSS feeds that way. But it is not the norm to store data on the card like most Windows Mobile phones.
    10-25-07 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD