Hi all here on Crackberry,

After borrowing my wifes Pearl for a month I have decided to get a Blackberry.

The two that I am looking at are the Curve and 8800 but I am not sure which to get?

To me they both seem pretty similar except the 8800 has GPS?

How does Blackberry Maps compare to the GPS on Curve?

Would I need to pay a seperate subscription for the GPS on top of the normal blackberry package?

Will blackberry maps do for getting me around cities / towns?

What would you recomend and why?

Price wise the 8800 is 30 Euro more than the curve so that is not a factor!

I am in Spain on the vodafone network.

Thanks, Andi Roberts
    06-30-07 01:47 PM
    I have both.

Why?

Because am a CrackBerry addict...
    06-30-07 04:02 PM
    Welcome, AndiR!

I'm not a BB Maps expert or GPS. However, a few things to consider that might be helpful.

I purchased the 8800 with excitement and found the keys too close together and the size not that much better than my 8700. It is a very nice device though. I returned it and decided to wait for the Curve. Which I love! The keys are far enough apart and makes typing easier. The size and feel of the device is great. Very slim but not too small so it's difficult to use. Not sure if you care about a camera - only 2 MP but decent pics in a pinch. I would definitely vote for the Curve. Either way you can't be wrong.
    Last edited by MMB916; 07-01-07 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added words
    07-01-07 12:06 AM
    Get the curve...i just purchased it and it does everything i need it to and more. I had the 8800 and that thing looks pre-historic next to the curve. I dunno why that is though. My must say that this phone and made my home and work life much easier..but i guess that could be said about all the blackberry's.
    07-02-07 10:19 PM
    I'm with T-Mobile and have the Pearl.
    Want the Curve but T-Mo no has.

How did you get one?
    07-04-07 03:45 PM
    Get one on eBay, then go here, to get it unlocked. Unless you buy one unlocked!
    07-04-07 04:00 PM
    Andy, get the Curve. I have several friends who own the 8800 and all of them love my Curve. Re GPS I bought the BT-359 puck from AT&T for $99 and use it with Telenav which works great on the Curve. I don't see the need to have the GPS loaded in the phone. I also like having a camera plus the form factor of the Curve is great. For what it's worth, I got 2 for $199 total (2for 1 sale by ATT). Gave one to my wife but you might check to see if anyone else here bought an extra one that they'd like to sell. On the other hand, ebay might be more efficient.
    07-04-07 04:15 PM
    Andy, just a follow up. I talked to a friend over the weekend who has the 8800. He says he has to get the phone in direct view of the satellites to use the GPS. I'd much rather be using my bluetooth puck that I can throw on the dash and keep my phone out of the baking sun. My advice remains the same...get the Curve.
    07-10-07 08:01 PM
    First off, Curve does not have GPS -- only 8800. If GPS is a deciding factor for you, then go get the 8800

The Curve and the 8800 have different features and in order for you to decide which one is more important, you might need to go to the BlackBerry website and compare features side by side.

If size matters, go with the Curve. Light, slightly small than the 8800 and fun to work and play with. Has an A2DP feature.. meaning? you can use cooler stereo headsets -- such as the Motorola S9 (y).

If you want "Function Follows Form" kind of gadget, go with the Curve..
    They are both BlackBerry(s), so it should still be pretty addicting
    07-11-07 12:57 AM
    Ok ok so I am a newbie & my 8800 is the first BB I have ever had, but i its the most fantastic bit of kit ever. BUT i was used to Nokia N70 & 6300 before.
    07-11-07 06:57 AM
    Based on the comments hear and handling them in the the shop I have chosen.........[drum roll]............A curve.....[applause]

Once again thanks for the insight.

Regards from a rather warm Spain, AndiR
    07-11-07 09:00 AM
    Congrats, I just picked up mine last night.

8800 was to wide, keys sucked, and had no camera. Glad I sold it. I wanted it so hard when It came out.

this curve is smaller, thin , keys are great.

CURVE>8800
    07-11-07 09:43 AM
    I still wish the 8700 had a camera.....Now that was a grwat bit kit....

But back to topic....I have a Curve but i do miss the sleekness of the 8800
    07-11-07 11:11 AM
    After looking at review after review after review.....and really not getting anywhere, other than the feature comparisons that you can get on the BB website, I finally got to check out both of them side-by-side. Although the numbers are only slightly smaller on paper, to me the Curve is decidedly smaller and feels better in the hand (like it "fits" better).

That's the tie-breaker for me, since I don't *really* need either the cam or the gps, and notwthstanding that I think the black/silver 8800 looks better than the grey Curve. Moreover, the Curve is priced lower and you can put the extra dough into a GPS puck if you want that functionality, without having to carry it around with you all the time...or a sweet noise-cancelling headset...or both! (Of course, if you want to have the GPS when not in your car, the 8800 is the only one that will do that.)

Now, if only T-Mo would hurry up and release the thing....
    Last edited by mj2007; 07-12-07 at 11:00 AM.
    07-11-07 12:47 PM
    If I have the option I always go with the newest bb. I have the 8800 and love it, but would love a curve...Compare the features of both the 8800 and curve, that should help you...
    07-11-07 04:12 PM
    Hi. I'm on VZW, ready to go w/ the 8830 or the Curve. The main thing that moved me to getting a crackberry is my international travel -- to Europe this summer, and periodic trips to Asia. The 8830 on VZW handles all of those multiple data & voice technologies. Will the Curve do that on VZW?

I plan to go the the VZW store in the a.m., but don't trust the store staff to have reliable answers.

Thanks!
    07-11-07 08:03 PM
    Well, I'll make it easy for you. If you are on Verizon, the 8830 is your only choice. They do not have the Curve.
    07-11-07 08:23 PM
    Well, I'll make it easy for you. If you are on Verizon, the 8830 is your only choice. They do not have the Curve.
    Thanks, I had a feeling that was the answer
    07-11-07 08:55 PM
    Curve Rocks Man!!!!!!!!! Had Mine For 2 Days And Cant Get Enough!!!!! No Wonder They Call It The Crackbery!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-13-07 12:19 PM
    go to:

BlackBerry Curve 8300 - BlackBerry Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review

to get the curve for $99. I got it, its a real site, and trust you'll love it (you need a new contract though)
    07-13-07 12:21 PM
    Does the curve handle medical texts and SD cards with higher Gigs well?
    How does it interact with the MS vista system?
    07-13-07 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD