The next ten features

During the course of development of a new operating system, it is natural that new features will be rolled out in an order that reflects their relative utility.

I have been using 10.3.0.296 on my Q10 since it was leaked, and aside from bugs that will hopefully be fixed for the 10.3 release (broken mail search and ringtone/vibration settings, Im looking at you) it is the best BlackBerry 10 OS yet.

While I really like 10.3.0.296, it is far from perfect. There are many features I'd like to see in future releases. The following are my top ten desired features, in order of importance from lowest to highest.

Do you have other ideas? Think something else is more important? Sound off in the comments!

1. Better BlackBerry Maps data

BlackBerry Maps has awful, out of date data. If youre looking for map data for a new business, forget it. For example, it still cant find a Future Shop location that was built more than four years ago in my home city. Its not all rain clouds though. The app itself is great; the turn by turn instructions are nicely implemented. It is the data backing it up which is terrible. Something needs to be done. With BlackBerrys move to work with Amazon, perhaps in the future the Amazon maps API will be used to supply data to BlackBerry maps.

2. Native apps from the major vendors

The Evernote app is a model for how it should be done. They got on board with the BlackBerry Beta Zone and solicited feedback. They built a great app, which is improving with every new release.

BlackBerry needs to solicit more companies to do the same. Its going to be expensive, but the ecosystem needs an infusion of major brand native apps.

3. Configurable sound profiles

The single feature I miss the most from my BlackBerry 9900 is highly configurable sound profiles. BlackBerry 10 needs this, and badly. It was a signature feature, loved by power users everywhere.

Im hoping the see the following feature set:

• Configurable ringtone, vibration (number, intensity), and LED color for each notification trigger
    • Configurable reminder ringtone, vibration (number, intensity), and LED color. Reminder wait length would be user adjustable.
    • Notification snooze to some user adjustable delay, triggered by gestures (flipping the phone over) or by touch interface.

4. Multiple logins without BES

Many people use their BlackBerry for both work and personal communication, and theyre not all on BES. It would be a great selling point to have Balance or some other multiple login scheme without requiring BES.
    Ideally the two logins would be completely separated. The only thing theyd share would be a SIM and telephone number. For example:

• Apps should not be able to share data between logins
    • No copy/paste between logins
    • Separate BBID per login

5. Integrated PGP

BlackBerry prides itself on security, yet there is no built-in PGP support without BES. Remedy this, BlackBerry! Bake it into the OS. Make it easy for end users, integrate it tightly with the hub and the share system, and make it secure. For example, ensure that drafts aren't synchronized to the mail server, unless explicitly requested.

6. Configurable call block

The Parental Controls "phone calls from contacts only" is a start. But it is important to be able to configure white and black lists, consisting of arbitrary numbers and search strings. This should be part of the native release, and not require third party apps when the API is extended.

7. Integrated support for the Tor network

Like the Orbot app on Android, BlackBerry 10 needs to be able to transparently redirect arbitrary app traffic to the Tor network, if specified by the user, and it needs to be baked into the operating system.

8. Media player improvement

The cloud storage plugins for the stock file manager are excellent; this system is a great idea. To extend it, apps need to be able to stream via these plugins, not just copy files before being able to open them. For example, the stock music player needs to be able to stream MP3s or videos from these cloud sources.

In addition, the stock video player needs a more complete codec set, and subtitle support.

9. More VPN concentrator types

I get it. The VPN landscape is a mess of competing standards, many of which are not fully implemented by the different vendors, or worse, implemented with custom modifications. BlackBerry must make a real effort on this, and support a wider variety of standards. At least support OpenVPN!

10. Improve BlackBerry Remember

As mentioned previously, the native Evernote app is great. My hat is off to those developers. They have been responsive to feedback throughout the entire development process, have consistently fixed issues as they arose, and have continued to add new features.

However, I wish the Evernote app had been implemented as part of BlackBerry Remember, instead of a standalone app. Integration with Evernote was a BB10 launch day keynote feature, and Remember was touted as a core app to handle all of your to-do lists, no matter what cloud system you were using (Evernote, Exchange, etc). Ideally, Remember would be extended in the future to support OneNote, and Wunderlist, among others. It seems BlackBerry has forgotten about Remember.
    Bla1ze, Smitty13 and deezy87 like this.
    07-02-14 01:24 PM
    Interesting list

Might want to post it https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/
    07-02-14 03:06 PM
    I don't say this often, but you've literally touched upon almost every point I'd bring up in terms of future features I'd like to see.

Being security minded, I think your list is very robust and covers all the right bases. I can only hope BlackBerry takes these suggestions into account and bakes them into the full 10.3 release.
    deezy87 and adamschuetze like this.
    07-03-14 11:40 AM
    Homepage material, nicely written!
    07-03-14 08:32 PM
    The next ten features
    4. Multiple logins without BES

Many people use their BlackBerry for both work and personal communication, and theyre not all on BES. It would be a great selling point to have Balance or some other multiple login scheme without requiring BES.
    Ideally the two logins would be completely separated. The only thing theyd share would be a SIM and telephone number. For example:

[LIST][*]Apps should not be able to share data between logins[*]No copy/paste between logins[*]Separate BBID per login
    Now that they bought the company that allows two numbers on one sim this idea would be amazing

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    10-06-14 06:26 AM
    Pretty much all features are already coming with10.3.1

BlackBerry maps is actually TomTom and I know that it is bad.....

All other parts are dependant on developers and other companies.
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 06:42 AM