When we got a new boss at the helm of the RIM ship I thought we had an end to stupid moves by RIM. The current program for free apps to U.S. only users is one of the biggest blunders in RIM history. A Canadian company ignoring its Canadian users is a bitter pill to take. There is massive discontent in the forums concerning this and I hope it can be quelled quickly.

RIM Investor
    Cracklen likes this.
    03-07-12 01:27 PM
    Considering the US market is the market where they have the poorest performance, it shouldn't be too surprising that they give an incentive to improve performance there.

Also if their track record is anything to go by, it will eventually hit other markets
    Barljo and SK122387 like this.
    03-07-12 01:31 PM
    dont they think it will off loyal customers back at home?
    03-07-12 01:32 PM
    Sure it is really dumb to offer something to the market that is killing them. I guess they should keep losing that market by doing nothing but tell people to wait. Not sure it will help them keep the ones that haven't bolted yet or not. But it can't hurt unless all of the people get mad about this and bolt.

Just maybe it will be extended at some point to other markets.
    Cracklen likes this.
    03-07-12 01:35 PM
    Some 1 as to take away the shovel from the decision makers over at RIM the hole just getting deeper and deeper.
    baldo and Cracklen like this.
    03-07-12 01:39 PM
    OP, if you aren't happy, you just need to grab a US sim card and roam away prepaid to enjoy the free apps. Just saying. You could do that if you live on the boarder.
    03-07-12 01:44 PM
    I agree the U.S is where the blackberry is becoming more non-existent everyday. I have a berry but Im looking to buy a 9810 off craig's list. The only berry in demand is the new bold. I love being productive on the berry I really do. I just want more apps good apps that are a mix of free and paid. DEVS are not making PB apps. The petiton's sound good but company's now where the bread and butter is. So it is very unlikely that we will ever see kindle, netflix, hulu, or espn 3. I have been a die hard berry fan for too long but i cannot sign a contract for 2 years for a os7 device obsolete. I cant sign one either for a iphone because a new one is on the way. I have a playbook and the bridge is the best piece of tech available to anyone that has the opportunity to use it. I just want RIM to kick and everyone is running to the store apps are everywhere and RIM is back. I just think those days are long gone.
    03-07-12 01:45 PM
    "One of the biggest errors in RIM history"?

Really?????

Drama Queen...
    Barljo and baldo like this.
    03-07-12 01:57 PM
    Considering that the only people who will even notice are BB geeks like us, I'm doubtful that there's going to be a great hue and cry.

Personally, I don't care.
    rdonnelly and BeRefreshed like this.
    03-07-12 02:05 PM
    I gotta agree with shupor and kbz, sales in the us are soft. Rim is doing fine abroad. Besides I translate this as trying to get the app revenue a jump start here as well. Out of all of the last offering I only downloaded 1. And have been using the free version since I have had my new Bold. Not a bad offering though unless you don't live here. Go RIM. I'll be here for BB10 and beyond!
    03-07-12 02:07 PM
    Well hang on a sec. the US market is where RIM needs to improve on. We (people in other countries) already know how great RIMs products are.

I can understand what they are doing. dont knock them for making sense of the present situation.

i certainly won't be "I-brainwashed"
    BeRefreshed likes this.
    03-07-12 02:13 PM
    The smart move would be to give the apps to everyone (#1 to avoid what we are talking about here now) so that in the forums we can say how great RIM is and thank you! Also to get exposure for those apps so Americans will want to try them as well. Lets not even go to the other stupid move by RIM and offering the movie store U.S. only. And yes I know all about the archaic Canadian content rules.
    03-07-12 02:13 PM
    The first thought I have when I see something RIM is offering for free in another country where RIM needs the most support isn't "what a stupid move," it's "that's cool, I hope those customers enjoy free premium apps, I hope it comes to my country."
    BeRefreshed, UnderBerry and mca312 like this.
    03-07-12 02:52 PM
    The first thought I have when I see something RIM is offering for free in another country where RIM needs the most support isn't "what a stupid move," it's "that's cool, I hope those customers enjoy free premium apps, I hope it comes to my country."
    Exactly.

10 char (it wouldn't let me post a reply)
    03-07-12 02:57 PM
    This is really stupid , when I saw that there were some free apps I got exited , because therE were some that I wasn't sure about buying , and they are now available for free .
    I got my phone , then poof , no apps , double checked at the app world , and they were available in the U.S. Only!
    Very stupid , why not make them free world wide ?
    Cracklen likes this.
    03-07-12 03:01 PM
    Why can't people appreciate anything? -_-
    See my post about buying a prepaid US carrier SIM. It's below or above by a few more posts. RIM is not making any stupid moves at all.
    03-07-12 03:09 PM
    Why can't people appreciate anything? -_-
    See my post about buying a prepaid US carrier SIM. It's below or above by a few more posts. RIM is not making any stupid moves at all.
    So your way of thinking we should PAY for a sim card to get something for free?
    Might as well just pay for the apps.
    baldo likes this.
    03-07-12 03:12 PM
    Unfortunately I think it will take much more than offering a couple games free to turn around the U.S. market. RIMM stock is dropping like a rock thrown in the ocean. I am like everyone else wanting RIMM to do more but for what ever the reason they don't or can't do anything that will have a major IMPACT to consumers and investors alike. I like my PB and only need a few things and I would completely abandon my laptop. They should offer to all consumers the same options. The more people talking positive about BB is better for everyone.
    baldo likes this.
    03-07-12 03:12 PM
    This is really stupid , when I saw that there were some free apps I got exited , because therE were some that I wasn't sure about buying , and they are now available for free .

I got my phone , then poof , no apps , double checked at the app world , and they were available in the U.S. Only!

Very stupid , why not make them free world wide ?

Cost. Pure and simple. RIM is trying to get back into the US market, and this is one attempt. Why sink money into other markets where they are doing fine?
    03-07-12 03:17 PM
    The stupid threads on CrackBerry continue.
    jem9777 and UnderBerry like this.
    03-07-12 03:28 PM
    I don't think that it's that big an issue considering that the US customers are the poorest of the lot.

RIM's customers in India etc are rich so they can afford to buy the apps, the Americans are the poor ones in debt so the needy have to give given freebies to attract customers.
    It's a different question why RIM wants to attract the poor of the world.
    balding1 likes this.
    03-07-12 03:32 PM
    I don't think that it's that big an issue considering that the US customers are the poorest of the lot.

RIM's customers in India etc are rich so they can afford to buy the apps, the Americans are the poor ones in debt so the needy have to give given freebies to attract customers.
    It's a different question why RIM wants to attract the poor of the world.

If RIM's customers in India are so "rich," then why do most people in India use BlackBerry for BBM, to avoid paying the charges for individual text messages??? I don't know how you figure that American BlackBerry users are "the poorest of the lot."
    03-07-12 03:37 PM
    If RIM's customers in India are so "rich," then why do most people in India use BlackBerry for BBM, to avoid paying the charges for individual text messages??? I don't know how you figure that American BlackBerry users are "the poorest of the lot."
    Because they can. I'm cheap and I'm sitting pretty in the bank and I never use text's, lewl...

And we all see the news these days..
    03-07-12 03:43 PM
    I won't be too surprised if this thread gets closed/locked.

Threads like these... Damn.
    03-07-12 03:48 PM
    Because they can. I'm cheap and I'm sitting pretty in the bank and I never use text's, lewl...

And we all see the news these days..
    I see news about the poor people in Calcutta... Sure some Americans are unemployed, but America's "poor" pales in comparison to the poverty in a third world country (like I don't know, India). Another thing about America's "poor"... A lot of them still have credit cards, probably still stored in Apple World, and might just be dumb enough to buy whatever app they feel like..digging themselves deeper into the hole, one paid version of an app at a time.
    03-07-12 03:54 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD