Hi all, as I read through the forums I see many references to people having 2,3, or even more phones that they use (not referring to the old one in a box or having a work provided and personal phone). I'm just curious how one does that. Are you paying for a 2nd line and forwarding the number, moving a SIM card back and forth, or something else? I'm a phone geek but I can't see ponying up for more than one data plan. Just curious, any responses appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 03:00 PM
    Yeah, that's a question I've always wanted to ask! I work up the numbers for a 2nd phone every couple of months, but it just doesn't make fiscal sense for me.
    07-07-11 03:56 PM
    Well different carriers offer family and share plans

so you can share your minutes and data for a small Fee, with Rogers I could add a second line, for $25 then an additional $10 to share my data

so for $35 a month I could have 2 devices, (assuming I had a plan that allowed sharing, unlimited voice never allows sharing unfortunately )

Or you Run plans on multiple carriers since you get to write off the costs on your taxes (yaa!!) so your primary device can be you $100 per month device, with a secondary and tertiary device being on other accounts in the $40/ month range still keeping everything under $200 per month
    07-07-11 04:15 PM
    My personal berry is paid for my me, unlimited everything, no limit, tether as I please.

My work berry (BES 8520) is what I have to use for work. I leave my personal one in my office at work, and check it now and again, once I leave work, the other berry goes off (unless I am on call)

A few of my counterparts forward their personal lines to their work ones, but if I need to be reached in an emergency, they can call my work line. Hopefully I can drop the dual berries once the 9930 comes out and hopefully use one device with Blackberry Balance.
    07-07-11 04:22 PM
    I'll being doing two phones here soon. I plan on getting a 9900 on Craigslist and then having the next gen iPhone. I'll go to AT&T(hopefully they get the 9900) and switch sim cards when I wanna use a different phone.

It's simple if you get a phone somewhere not on contract.
    07-07-11 04:26 PM
    I'll being doing two phones here soon. I plan on getting a 9900 on Craigslist and then having the next gen iPhone. I'll go to AT&T(hopefully they get the 9900) and switch sim cards when I wanna use a different phone.

It's simple if you get a phone somewhere not on contract.
    It might not be that simple as the RIM phone will require a BIS plan, and the iPhone will probably get a plan of it's own as a promotional plan to attract users from Verizon.
    07-07-11 04:42 PM
    It might not be that simple as the RIM phone will require a BIS plan, and the iPhone will probably get a plan of it's own as a promotional plan to attract users from Verizon.
    Nah, they can continue to switch data plans pretty easily. I have unlimited data with AT&T and I went from iPhone 4 to Torch back to iPhone 4 with no problems.
    07-07-11 04:48 PM
    I just swap my sim between devices & use the built in email setup app to move my servicebooks over. For apps I use bbmcp & backup/restore between devices. The only real issue I run into is bbm ota backup/restore never working properly. Sometime it takes hours to restore my bbm list to the new device, sometimes it doesn't work at all. Luckily I only use bbm with one contact so I can manually re-enter her pin.

Last edited by xandermac; 07-07-11 at 08:21 PM.
    07-07-11 08:18 PM
    I can see a work phone and a personal but unless you're hiding something isn't it hard to have 2 different numbers and contacts for personal or do you all have the same contacts for both numbers?

Or is one the wife phone and the other the girlfriend phone?
    bjmc likes this.
    07-07-11 08:25 PM
    Was this for me?

I have a bunch of different blackberry devices, I use different ones on different days/occasions/venues etc. I have 1 sim card that I switch between devices. All my contacts/calendar sync to google so they're the same on all devices. I just like to use different phones is all. I also use android, windows mobile, palm pre & and old 1st gen iphone. I'm not hiding anything I promise. No wife here thank god.

I can see a work phone and a personal but unless you're hiding something isn't it hard to have 2 different numbers and contacts for personal or do you all have the same contacts for both numbers?

Or is one the wife phone and the other the girlfriend phone?
    07-07-11 08:29 PM
    No it wasn't for you, for anyone that has 2 personal numbers and 2 personal phones. I can see changing phones with a sim if the sim keeps your number, I don't know how that works as I've only ever had CDMA which doesn't use a sim.
    07-07-11 08:31 PM
    Gotcha. I couldn't see having 2 personal numbers either.

No it wasn't for you, for anyone that has 2 personal numbers and 2 personal phones. I can see changing phones with a sim if the sim keeps your number, I don't know how that works as I've only ever had CDMA which doesn't use a sim.
    07-07-11 08:34 PM
    Well currently I have my crackberry Torch with AT&T and for my work cell I have the Evo Touch via Sprint. Where I work only allows Sprint signal so I have to carry 2 phones.

I also used to carry 2 personal Blackberries. I bought it as an add a line deal for my consulting business (would let whoever was helping me use it) but when I got out of consulting, I had the phone and was locked in for 2 years so I just kept both on me...One ## I gave out to friends and one just family...
    07-07-11 08:52 PM
    Or you Run plans on multiple carriers since you get to write off the costs on your taxes (yaa!!)
    You must be talking about business taxes and not personal taxes right?
    07-07-11 09:07 PM
    You must be talking about business taxes and not personal taxes right?
    Yes, beyond my Corporate life I also run a home business with which I can write off my mobile contracts.

I have 2 personal mobile numbers + 1 business mobile number + 1 Voip number that emails me my voicemails as wave files

1 personal number is my GO to number, the other personal number is my he isn't answering business, or Main personal number, must be on the boat and Needing a CDMA phone call that number
    07-07-11 09:44 PM
    Nah, they can continue to switch data plans pretty easily. I have unlimited data with AT&T and I went from iPhone 4 to Torch back to iPhone 4 with no problems.
    Is that with the same SIM card, i.e. Is the Torch and iPhone Sim card the same or does the iPhone have a smaller "micro" sim card?

07-07-11 11:51 PM
    Thanks all for the info! I suppose on AT&T a 2nd line is onlly $9.99 + $15 for the cheapest data plan (plus taxes & fees of course), but if ypu splurge for an unlocked phone and switch Sim cards you can do it w/o the 2nd line.

07-07-11 11:54 PM
    well on rogers you can get a sim activated on a DATA ONLY plan. i was running a bb bold with that $15/month unlimited social networking and IM plan along side my $60/month voice/data package for my iphone.

i got sick of carrying around 2 phones everywhere though, so i ended up ditching the iphone and staying with the berry.
    07-08-11 01:36 AM
    Is that with the same SIM card, i.e. Is the Torch and iPhone Sim card the same or does the iPhone have a smaller "micro" sim card?

No, a different sim, but they'll supply them for free. Of course you should keep both the normal sim and micro sim so you don't always need a new one.
    07-08-11 02:05 AM
    I have a torch on Orange (uk) (�40)main number, and I aso have my old Bold9000 on Three (uk)(�15) which I use for Skype and call all my overseas mates, it also doubles up as a promotional BBM mailer which I use to tell peeps about events I'm doing

07-08-11 06:13 AM
    I use 2 BB Bold 9650s, one with camera (personal) and one without (work-due to restrictions). I forward my personal number to my work phone each morning and everything seems to work OK, except for SMS. I'm not sure my SMS messages get forwarded. No problem if I initiate the correspondence, and BBM works fine since I added my other "identity" as a BBM contact. Pain in the neck, but really can't be w/o my BB during the day....
    07-08-11 07:51 AM
    I guess I was asking about the wife/girlfriend thing cause I have a female friend that is seeing a married man (I don't agree with her but it's her life) and he has his normal phone and his (her) phone..... I tried to tell her that if he has a (her) phone that it's probably a multiple gf phone but she doesn't think so, naive perhaps?

I also have an issued work phone that is just a dumb phone. I refuse to carry 2 phones around with me also so I just forwarded the number to my personal phone as I have USCellular and every incoming is free.
    07-08-11 08:09 AM
    I only maintain one active phone at the moment and don't intend using more than one, maybe an extra for Wi-Fi only use, which I barely use at all. I just can't afford to spend extra $$ because to me, bills shouldn't overtake most of the cash or what you earn. It mostly goes towards food for me, bills & rent take 75% of it. So no, I only maintain one active phone.

07-09-11 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD