BBM Challenge Council wants to 'debunk' anti-BlackBerry rumors with comedy webisodes | The Verge

I am embarrassed for RIM. Maybe it's time to take it out back and shoot it. I am now convinced that RIM is better off not marketing at all.
    04-12-12 01:44 PM
    Looks like it could be funny. Perhaps they should "debunk" the rumors they help promote in the commercials they have running now, like touch screens suck, and BlackBerry phones are just tools.
    04-12-12 01:48 PM
    I like it. These guys are funny

Things like this show BlackBerry is for consumers.

They'll surely show the phones in action
    yasmar likes this.
    04-12-12 07:01 PM
    its a good thing that RIM stopped focusing on the consumer market...
    [/sarcasm]
    04-12-12 07:13 PM
    I just don't know what to think.
    04-12-12 07:21 PM
    RIM needs to hire someone else because their marketing is disgusting. (I think thoristen got a new cheif of marketing; he needs to be better and prepared for BB10 marketing)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crackberry forums application
    04-12-12 07:22 PM
    I assume none of you have a creative bend or have ever done production. That was actually pretty good.
    spike12 likes this.
    04-12-12 08:03 PM
    That was funny. I actually liked it
    yasmar likes this.
    04-12-12 08:11 PM
    Which part was good? Was it the cross-dresser on top of the piano for no good reason? Was it when they showed that any generic music player or phone can be hooked up to an amp and play 20 year old music? Or, was it when they tried to have block parties that no one wanted to participate in? Which aspect of the commercial made you want to buy a BB?

As for proving the phone can play music, why not prove it can make calls. I mean, every phone can play music these days. No one expects that it can't. Show me that it can play Netflix. I just don't understand anything about the commercial.

As for being funny, it was funny in the same way a mentally disabled person's antics can be funny. It was awkward and sad more than funny. Right now, they don't need to be awkwardly funny; they need to refocus on their business strengths. That does not require a huge advertising budget. Put the money into a B to B sales force, and leave this juvenile stuff to Samsung.
    04-12-12 08:29 PM
    This just looks plain stupid, and actually is embarrassing BB users.
    Any "normal" marketing guys still left in RIM?
    Sigh.....
    04-12-12 08:44 PM
    Damned if you do.... Damned if you don't....

I know one thing for sure, Grandpa didn't like Grandma dancing with those guys in the street.
    Get a look at his face while he stood on the front porch. Ouch!
    It looked like he was about to get the shotgun!
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    04-13-12 12:59 AM
    I didn't find the video funny at all. Anyone who thinks that a smartphone can't play music needs to get a clue. This is 2012. Almost everything can play music.

I wouldn't doubt the reason some people think that BBs can't play music is because they feel the device/OS is not modern.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-13-12 at 01:34 AM.
    04-13-12 01:32 AM
    I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy these advertisements!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaez_4m9mQ&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzEsJ2PZqg[/YT]
    pillsy and aha like this.
    04-13-12 06:11 AM
    I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy these advertisements!

I really like the second ad. I only wish it were on the tv. Thx for sharing those.
    yasmar likes this.
    04-13-12 06:27 AM
    I really like the second ad. I only wish it were on the tv. Thx for sharing those.
    It was......

But not really directed towards a business target market - more for consumers.

The problem was the playbook was advertised as a business tool....do you see any business in the ad?

Don't compete against the Ipad....bad move which we all know what the outcome was/is.

Cheers
    04-13-12 06:44 AM
    BBM Challenge Council wants to 'debunk' anti-BlackBerry rumors with comedy webisodes | The Verge

I am embarrassed for RIM. Maybe it's time to take it out back and shoot it. I am now convinced that RIM is better off not marketing at all.
    Not that I'm a fan at all of BB "marketing" that short was funny. Hope they get out and use a younger demographic in a more natural setting.

I thought the ad using Power [remix] by the Temptations was awesome until they went all negative at the end "Why doesn't every tablet do that?". They should have ended with a positive statement to affirm that it is powerful and thus should be desired. Imagine if the guy said something like "Bring it!" that would have been a powerful statement for a powerful tablet ! OooYA !
    aha likes this.
    04-13-12 07:43 AM
    Which part was good? Was it the cross-dresser on top of the piano for no good reason?
    As far as I'm concerned, no company needs a reason to show a cross dresser on top of a piano.
    04-13-12 07:53 AM
    Which part was good? Was it the cross-dresser on top of the piano for no good reason? Was it when they showed that any generic music player or phone can be hooked up to an amp and play 20 year old music?
    Damn, I feel old now. But that does bring up a great point. I was a teenager in the 90s and it would be like trying to market something to a teenage me using disco music.

The ad missed the mark to me. I think they were going for "crazy spontaneous youngsters do something that old people don't understand." But if that was the case they should've had more youngsters come out of their houses and toward the "fun" that BlackBerry was providing.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    04-13-12 08:10 AM
    Its only the first one but yeah hardly "Bold" when there is less than a dozen people involved. Probably not in their budget after paying the actors.
    04-13-12 08:13 AM
    no no no no, THIS is how you make a cool viral advertising video

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzIBZQkj6SY[/YT]

granted prob half the people shown are paid to be there, but its what works.
    vdubwhat, Spencerdl, aha and 2 others like this.
    04-13-12 05:30 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, no company needs a reason to show a cross dresser on top of a piano.
    Or under a piano for that matter!
    aha likes this.
    04-13-12 06:07 PM

But if that was the case they should've had more youngsters come out of their houses and toward the "fun" that BlackBerry was providing.
    I thought it was meant to be irreverent, and it totally was.

I think having a bunch of young kids come out to the BB van might have seemed a little cliched and not very organic.

I honestly thought it was fun.
    04-13-12 06:22 PM
    It maybe that the cross dresser market is bigger than anyone can realize.
    04-13-12 07:14 PM
    I thought it was meant to be irreverent, and it totally was.

I think having a bunch of young kids come out to the BB van might have seemed a little cliched and not very organic.

I honestly thought it was fun.
    +1

I don't visit here often but I am glad I did. That was fun.
    04-13-12 07:25 PM
    For an attempt to debunk anti-BB rumors and FUD, they did just the opposite. They proved without a shadow of a doubt that they are out of touch with the average smartphone user. They don't know the current smartphone issues and selling points, and they are just a bunch of old people trying to pretend to be cool.

Marketing is only RIM's problem when they try to do it.
    04-13-12 08:19 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD