So I've been very happy with Sprint's service and plans so far. I was even happier when they introduced the Any Mobile, Any Time plan. But today was the first day that I've ever been unsatisfied with the way Sprint has decided to go about doing things.

I use a Blackberry Curve 8330, and all of a sudden last night the screen and buttons on my phone decided to stop working. So I brought it into a Sprint store that had a Service/Repair center and they told me that the phone had been exposed to moisture according to the indicators on the battery and the inside of the phone. I'm not gonna doubt that, I was at a bar last night and had a few drinks. But when I called Sprint's Insurance carrier/provider, they told me that I would have to pay a $100 deductible for a phone that I paid $50 for with a new contract. I was definitely heated and very disappointed. I didn't even get the $50 on rebate. I saw Best Buy was selling the phone for $50 no rebate so the store I went to Price-Matched with Best Buy. So now I'm sitting here contemplating if I should pay the $100 deductible even though I've been paying $7 a month for insurance...

Anyone have any similar stories? Any ways around having to pay the $100 deductible?
    01-24-10 07:03 PM
    Wow, the deductible went up since last time I claimed insurance about 3-4 years ago....go on ebay, the 8330's are dirt cheap in used/refurbished condition, def less than $100...or add another 100 bucks and grab the new curve two for like 220 shipped on ebay...
    01-24-10 07:13 PM
    So I've been very happy with Sprint's service and plans so far. I was even happier when they introduced the Any Mobile, Any Time plan. But today was the first day that I've ever been unsatisfied with the way Sprint has decided to go about doing things.

I use a Blackberry Curve 8330, and all of a sudden last night the screen and buttons on my phone decided to stop working. So I brought it into a Sprint store that had a Service/Repair center and they told me that the phone had been exposed to moisture according to the indicators on the battery and the inside of the phone. I'm not gonna doubt that, I was at a bar last night and had a few drinks. But when I called Sprint's Insurance carrier/provider, they told me that I would have to pay a $100 deductible for a phone that I paid $50 for with a new contract. I was definitely heated and very disappointed. I didn't even get the $50 on rebate. I saw Best Buy was selling the phone for $50 no rebate so the store I went to Price-Matched with Best Buy. So now I'm sitting here contemplating if I should pay the $100 deductible even though I've been paying $7 a month for insurance...

Anyone have any similar stories? Any ways around having to pay the $100 deductible?
    This is precisely why I always buy my phones and Geek Squad Black Tie insurance from Best Buy. If I get upset right now, and decide its a good idea to take a hammer to my phone, I can bring the remains to Best Buy and get a new one, no questions asked, no deductible. 9.99 per month is a bit more, but its worth it for that peace of mind.
    01-24-10 07:14 PM

Did you read the fine print of course you have to pay $100 for the deductible if i buy insurance for my moment i would have to pay the same price.. just because you bought it for $50 doesnt mean it cost $50 to make a phone that phone without discounts cost around $300-$400 so you really dont have a case
    01-24-10 07:14 PM
    And they raised the rates last April, so it's not a surprise. It's not just Sprint's insurance, either. Asurion insures many of the other carrier's devices also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 07:18 PM
    Two things there's no moisture indicator on the battery (untrained tech told you that), take your battery out and look at the top (could be bottom) of the battery compartment. There's a little white square there, if its white no water damage, if it's pink or red they were right.

See the little white square outlined in red just above and to the left of the barcode sticker, that's what you're looking for. This is a refurb from Sprint with water damage on deliver.
    Last edited by ERDude; 01-24-10 at 07:36 PM.
    01-24-10 07:30 PM

$100 deductable is the terms of the insurance that you agreed to when you signed up for insurance. How can you be mad about that? BTW sprint doesn't insure the phones, or receive the $100 deductable, Asurion does. Would you be mad if you got into a car accident (that was your fault), and be mad you had to pay a deductable to get your vehicle repaired? I�m not trying to be a **** or anything; I'm just trying to put it into perspective for you.
    01-24-10 07:44 PM
    You're still getting a replacement for a lot less than full price. Go without insurance and see how 'heated' you get when you find out the price of the replacement.
    01-24-10 07:51 PM
    $100 deductable is the terms of the insurance that you agreed to when you signed up for insurance. How can you be mad about that? BTW sprint doesn't insure the phones, or receive the $100 deductable, Asurion does. Would you be mad if you got into a car accident (that was your fault), and be mad you had to pay a deductable to get your vehicle repaired? I�m not trying to be a **** or anything; I'm just trying to put it into perspective for you.
    You know people don't read the terms for things they get these days.

But exactly right. and 100 bucks is way better than buying one outright.
    01-24-10 08:16 PM
    Two things there's no moisture indicator on the battery (untrained tech told you that), take your battery out and look at the top (could be bottom) of the battery compartment. There's a little white square there, if its white no water damage, if it's pink or red they were right.

See the little white square outlined in red just above and to the left of the barcode sticker, that's what you're looking for. This is a refurb from Sprint with water damage on deliver.
    So I checked my phone, and the sticker above the battery is STILL white. Is that the only indicator on the phone? Are there any inside of phone?
    01-24-10 08:32 PM
    sounds like par for the course.
    Try doing the stupid thing I did (dropping my old curve- which I paid nothing for - in water with NO insurance)
    $100 isn't so bad compared to me paying full retail for a Curve2..........
    01-24-10 08:35 PM
    You're still getting a replacement for a lot less than full price. Go without insurance and see how 'heated' you get when you find out the price of the replacement.
    I already know what the replacement price is for a phone, I'm just irritated that this is how Sprint chooses to handle their insurance claims. On top of that, the only phone they can send me as a replacement after the $10 deductible is an 8830.
    01-24-10 08:44 PM
    So I checked my phone, and the sticker above the battery is STILL white. Is that the only indicator on the phone? Are there any inside of phone?
    There's one inside the phone, I'd be willing to bet money the tech didn't take the phone apart. I'd go back and dare him to show you the red indicator. Make sure he takes the phone apart in front of you. If he tells you about the battery again, tell him to go get an unopened phone and look at the battery in front of you. All batteries either have red dashes or x's across them.

It's a common tactic, the reps think they're saving the company money by forcing you to file an insurance claim. Somewhere around these forums is a post with the TEP attached, I'd try to find that and have it handy when you go in.

PS - I'd say take it apart yourself, but I don't want you to risk losing your warranty.
    Last edited by ERDude; 01-24-10 at 08:54 PM.
    01-24-10 08:45 PM
    There's one inside the phone, I'd be willing to bet money the tech didn't take the phone apart. I'd go back and dare him to show you the red indicator. Make sure he takes the phone apart in front of you. If he tells you about the battery again, tell him to go get an unopened phone and look at the battery in front of you. All batteries either have red dashes or x's across them.

It's a common tactic, the reps think they're saving the company money by forcing you to file an insurance claim. Somewhere around these forums is a post with the TEP attached, I'd try to find that and have it handy when you go in.
    Doing that tomorrow. Thank you! The battery "indicator" was pink with red X's on it. He was using that as an indicator. And if he really didn't take it apart now I'm also pissed for having to wait for two hours.
    01-24-10 08:55 PM
    The battery does not have a moisture indicator, that's a common mistake among techs. I would immediately ask to speak to a manager when you go in. Show him the indicator under the battery is white and that you spoke to a tech who told you that the battery does not have a indicator. Tell him you want to be present when they take your phone apart.
    01-24-10 09:02 PM
    The battery does not have a moisture indicator, that's a common mistake among techs. I would immediately ask to speak to a manager when you go in. Show him the indicator under the battery is white and that you spoke to a tech who told you that the battery does not have a indicator. Tell him you want to be present when they take your phone apart.
    If it is deemed that it isn't a water damaged phone, what's the protocol then? Do they have to give me a new phone on the spot or do I still have to wait for a replacement to be shipped/deal with the insurance company?
    01-24-10 09:19 PM
    Under the $7 TEP they will replace the phone on the spot if they have refurbs available in the store, if not it's up to the manager whether they will replace with new or send you a refurb. I suggest being ultra nice when you speak to the manager.

Put it like this: Your tech told me I had moisture damage, I know my phone hasn't come in contact with any liquid, he told me the battery indicator and the one in the phone (then point to the white square in the phone), indicated moisture damage as you can see it's white not red. The battery has red x's on it which all batteries have.

After hearing this I went home and did my research, I also spoke with phone tech support who confirmed what I new to be true about the battery and that the white square should turn red when exposed.

According to your phone tech, and the terms of TEP my phone is to be replaced without cost due to equipment malfunctions, so how are we going to work together to resolve this today?

This all puts the ball in his court. If he says we have to open the phone up to look at the internal indicator advise him you want to be present when that happens. It's what the phone tech told you to do.

He/she shouldn't give you any guff at that point. You might not even get to that point, he may just replace the device on the spot. And only speak to manager, not a lead, manager only. If he's not there ask that they get them on the phone or ask for the district manager contact information and deal with him/her.
    01-24-10 09:52 PM
    When i had sprint i never paid for the insurance i always just bought a new phone from ebay cause sprints insurance is trash,just get the 8530 curve from ebay.
    01-24-10 10:28 PM
    This is precisely why I always buy my phones and Geek Squad Black Tie insurance from Best Buy. If I get upset right now, and decide its a good idea to take a hammer to my phone, I can bring the remains to Best Buy and get a new one, no questions asked, no deductible. 9.99 per month is a bit more, but its worth it for that peace of mind.

Thanks good to know.
    01-24-10 10:29 PM
    But when I called Sprint's Insurance carrier/provider, they told me that I would have to pay a $100 deductible for a phone that I paid $50 for with a new contract......So now I'm sitting here contemplating if I should pay the $100 deductible even though I've been paying $7 a month for insurance...
    Insurance is the same everywhere. You pay a monthly or semi-annually payment. You then pay a deductible when you make a claim. For example, ask any driver...they pay for their insurance every 6 months, and they pay either $250, $500, or $1000 per claim. If you didn't pay the $7 per month, you wouldn't be entitled to an insurance claim and would have to buy the phone for it's retail price (not new customer price).

If he tells you about the battery again, tell him to go get an unopened phone and look at the battery in front of you. All batteries either have red dashes or x's across them.
    Why do batteries have red dashes or x's across them? Mine is completely white...is my battery out of the ordinary? Maybe the in-store ones have them because they swap in batteries from water-damaged phones in case someone steals them?
    01-25-10 01:05 AM
    Under the $7 TEP they will replace the phone on the spot if they have refurbs available in the store, if not it's up to the manager whether they will replace with new or send you a refurb. I suggest being ultra nice when you speak to the manager.

Put it like this: Your tech told me I had moisture damage, I know my phone hasn't come in contact with any liquid, he told me the battery indicator and the one in the phone (then point to the white square in the phone), indicated moisture damage as you can see it's white not red. The battery has red x's on it which all batteries have.

After hearing this I went home and did my research, I also spoke with phone tech support who confirmed what I new to be true about the battery and that the white square should turn red when exposed.

According to your phone tech, and the terms of TEP my phone is to be replaced without cost due to equipment malfunctions, so how are we going to work together to resolve this today?

This all puts the ball in his court. If he says we have to open the phone up to look at the internal indicator advise him you want to be present when that happens. It's what the phone tech told you to do.

He/she shouldn't give you any guff at that point. You might not even get to that point, he may just replace the device on the spot. And only speak to manager, not a lead, manager only. If he's not there ask that they get them on the phone or ask for the district manager contact information and deal with him/her.
    sorry but your wrong man. theres 3 indicators on the curve... one on the battery, the one you already pointed out, and theres one under the trackball.
    and the $7 TEP insurance, does not guarantee you a new device. 9/10 its a refurb. and if there isnt liquid damage, they will do whats called an advanced exchange. if they dont have one in store, its 2-5 day window.

p.s. the techs arent trying to ''screw you''. if i send back a liquid damaged phone to the factory, my store will get charged the full price of the phone...full price on a bb curve is $569.99....
    01-25-10 01:44 AM
    [/QUOTE] Why do batteries have red dashes or x's across them? Mine is completely white...is my battery out of the ordinary? Maybe the in-store ones have them because they swap in batteries from water-damaged phones in case someone steals them?[/QUOTE]

thats a liquid indicator. it turns red/pink when wet.
    01-25-10 01:47 AM
    Battery indicators mean nothing though. I keep spares in my pocked on "power days" when I know I will need to over use the phone. The indicator on two spares have red due to condensation from a water bottle and one is still white.. Phone has never been near any liquid..
    01-25-10 03:18 AM
    You may want to work on reading comprehension. I never stated TEP guaranteed you a new phone and never did I say the techs were out to screw you.

As for the white sticker with the red line or the red x's on the battery, that is not a moisture indicator. If it were than all carriers are sending out phones that have been exposed to moisture, every new phone I have purchased over the past 5-6 years has had either the red line or x's on the battery upon opening the box.

sorry but your wrong man. theres 3 indicators on the curve... one on the battery, the one you already pointed out, and theres one under the trackball.
    and the $7 TEP insurance, does not guarantee you a new device. 9/10 its a refurb. and if there isnt liquid damage, they will do whats called an advanced exchange. if they dont have one in store, its 2-5 day window.

p.s. the techs arent trying to ''screw you''. if i send back a liquid damaged phone to the factory, my store will get charged the full price of the phone...full price on a bb curve is $569.99....
    01-25-10 09:19 AM
    You may want to work on reading comprehension. I never stated TEP guaranteed you a new phone and never did I say the techs were out to screw you.

As for the white sticker with the red line or the red x's on the battery, that is not a moisture indicator. If it were than all carriers are sending out phones that have been exposed to moisture, every new phone I have purchased over the past 5-6 years has had either the red line or x's on the battery upon opening the box.
    All of my batteries have had this as well, and I know my phone didn't get wet, because none of my other indicators have changed colors. I'm pretty sure your right about the battery thing.
    01-25-10 09:54 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD