Currently have tour with sprint on everything $99 thinking of switching to tmo for the bold and the $79 unlimited everything plan. I know I have to pay full price for the bold. I live in the chicago area and don't travel much. Coverage for sprint and tmo in my areas is about the same. So I ask is it worth it to switch for the 9700 for tmo and save $20 per month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 12:06 AM
    Currently have tour with sprint on everything $99 thinking of switching to tmo for the bold and the $79 unlimited everything plan. I know I have to pay full price for the bold. I live in the chicago area and don't travel much. Coverage for sprint and tmo in my areas is about the same. So I ask is it worth it to switch for the 9700 for tmo and save $20 per month.

Of course it is worth it. Aside from the fact that T-Mobile is much cooler than Sprint, if you saw $240 ($20 x 12 = $240) on the sidewalk are you saying you wouldn't stop to pick it up?

T-Mobile rocks. Come on over. Water is warm.
    11-20-09 12:21 AM
    Go with the Bold. I haven't had the tour, but the Bold has a trackpad and wifi and is the current RIM flagship device, so they obviously think a lot of it.

Plus, it'll more than pay for itself over a 2 year lifespan.
    11-20-09 12:23 AM
    I definitely think it's worth it. My friends and family are all very happy with T-Mobile, and we haven't really had any problems to speak of at this point. Plus you can get a Bold from eBay, they should be going down in price, at least slightly. Or you can go with an 8900 which is an excellent device, and you should be able to pick one up on eBay for about 275. So if you sell your Tour you should break even, or about even. Then with saving 20 a month, totally worth it.
    11-20-09 12:40 AM
    The only way it would pay would be with a contract and discounted phone. But that's not the only consideration. If you have a good phone like the 9700 and are not bound by a contract you have the freedom to go where you're treated the best and have the best price. That might not be a bad thing. TMo still has the best prices, but a number of people have had bad experiences with TMobile's customer service lately (once their strong asset) - including retentions people willing to lose longtime customers over little issues. I used to take those stories with a grain of salt until they did it to my wife and I. I guess I'd buy the phone, get TMo's good price and keep freedom.

Last edited by exelant; 11-20-09 at 12:45 AM.
    11-20-09 12:41 AM
    I also should add that UMA calling via WiFi is great! For ten a month I save hundreds of minutes for my wife to use. That has to be the best part of our deal.

11-20-09 12:48 AM
    I would say yes...

You're currently paying 99/month, with tmo, you would pay 101/month (79.99 plan plus the phone cost per month which would be 22/month for 20 months). That's a great deal because it includes the phone. Eventually, the price would fall back to 79.99 and, of course, you would not be bound by a contract. Eventually, it's cheaper in the end, especially if you like to buy phones from ebay or whatnot.

I've heard not-so-great things about the Tour (trackball, etc) but great things about the Bold thus far and hey, no trackball! The UMA feature is amazing and you'll find the customer service is much better than Sprint.

All I can say is please check the coverage in your area and make sure it fits YOUR needs. Try a phone for 14 days or whatnot and if you don't like the service, you can return it worry-free.

can't hurt to try right? I do think you'll like it though.

11-20-09 01:08 AM
    How much could I get for my tour unlocked only used about 2 weeks with a invisible full body shield on it?

11-20-09 10:20 AM
    250.00 easy man.go for it
    11-20-09 10:53 AM
    I would definitely go for it. It sounds like you've been wanting the 9700 & your saving money in the long run. I live in chicago as well, and the service is pretty good (depending on what area). plus you can easily sell that Tour for some good money. Good Luck!

11-20-09 11:02 AM
    I'm looking at the family em+ for $139 for 2 lines and 2 9700's. Doing the math with extra for the phones it would cost me more to do tmo. I also concerned about coverage. I have been reading the coverage in buildings isn't so good. I'm in Chicago and the map looks like good coverage. However maps don't tell the truth.

11-22-09 10:13 AM
    I'm looking at the family em+ for $139 for 2 lines and 2 9700's. Doing the math with extra for the phones it would cost me more to do tmo. I also concerned about coverage. I have been reading the coverage in buildings isn't so good. I'm in Chicago and the map looks like good coverage. However maps don't tell the truth.
    Buy a $20 prepaid SIM card and try it out or ask around and find people who use the service and get their opinions.

Coverage in buildings? My T-Mobile service has always been better than my next door neighbor in the downtown building I live in. As soon as we get in the elevator, his AT&T service goes dead and I have service in the elevator all the way to the top floor without interruption.
    11-22-09 02:14 PM
    Buy a $20 prepaid SIM card and try it out or ask around and find people who use the service and get their opinions.
    This is a perfect way to test. Prepaid starter kit is $10 if you have a phone to use and it comes with $28 airtime for a holiday promo we started. Phones with the kit starts at $14.99
    11-22-09 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD