I was fed up with the terrible coverage in my apartment, so I sent them a very long, upset email, and they had the never to ask me to call them because it was a "technical problem." When I emailed them back saying it was completely their fault and because hostile for them insisting poor coverage was a technical issue on my part they quickly replied with my promise of a free Airave. Now I only have to go pick one up, and the credit will be refunded to my account.
    11-04-09 04:12 AM
    I was fed up with the terrible coverage in my apartment, so I sent them a very long, upset email, and they had the never to ask me to call them because it was a "technical problem." When I emailed them back saying it was completely their fault and because hostile for them insisting poor coverage was a technical issue on my part they quickly replied with my promise of a free Airave. Now I only have to go pick one up, and the credit will be refunded to my account.
    So your telling us that it isn't your fault for checking the coverage for your area? Correction, it is your fault and not Sprint's! It is also your fault for not doing research about signal strength in certain type of buildings, the thickness of the type of wall materiel and what not can effect cellular signals! Next time do some research and you will find out it isn't anyone's fault but yours!

11-04-09 04:22 AM
    So your telling us that it isn't your fault for checking the coverage for your area? Correction, it is your fault and not Sprint's! It is also your fault for not doing research about signal strength in certain type of buildings, the thickness of the type of wall materiel and what not can effect cellular signals! Next time do some research and you will find out it isn't anyone's fault but yours!

I live in the middle of downtown Atlanta, and I don't even get service next to the windows in my apartment. EVERYONE else I know gets service in my room (with other carriers). This is no way MY fault because Sprint has horrible coverage.
    11-04-09 06:07 AM
    I live in the middle of downtown Atlanta, and I don't even get service next to the windows in my apartment. EVERYONE else I know gets service in my room (with other carriers). This is no way MY fault because Sprint has horrible coverage.
    gots a good point there..
    11-04-09 06:13 AM

I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. I have had Sprint for over 10 years, and when I began with Sprint, the coverage was as promised for my area. In the past four or five years, I have noticed a marked decline in indoor reception. When calling to issue my concern recently, they told me they have had over 60 people (in my zip code) complain in the last month. They said they had issues with towers in my area not working correctly. They asked me to give them "a couple of months" to get the towers fixed and if I didn't get better reception in "a couple of months" that I should look into purchasing an airave.

So, in my humble opinion, unless you are a NEW Sprint subscriber, I don't think you can blame the user for not checking the coverage.

As a subscriber, though, I must say that I would prefer that Sprint invest the dollars that are going into "free" airaves to customers into fixing and maintaining current towers and into developing and putting up new towers, so that all customer can benefit, not just the "greasy wheels".
    11-04-09 06:56 AM
    that is great, I need to get one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 06:59 AM
    all very good points sprint has been slacking on the coverage alot lately few months i had full signal now nothing has changed and calls are dropping out of nowhere
    11-04-09 01:06 PM
    Alot of it has to do with the radio issues on the Tour, not Sprint coverage. The OP might have bad Sprint coverage in his/her area, if that is the case then canceling within 30 days would have been the way to go. I have had Sprint for 10 years plus never had signal issues until I got my Tours, its a radio thing that will hopefully be fixed with an official OS sooner than later. Not saying that is the OPs problem, but that is what mine is, not Sprint service. I got the air rave too, but I cannot use it, it messes up the bandwidth that the Xbox uses and it will not stay connected.
    11-04-09 07:22 PM
    what OP doesn't realize is there is monthly charge for Sprint Airwave serivce. There are different plans for it.

So who got the beteer deal?

Also the last time I check, Air Wave only supports voice service. So if your phone is locked onto the Air wave for signal, you won't get data services.

Last edited by leskchan; 11-04-09 at 07:41 PM.
    11-04-09 07:39 PM
    Great, now all you need to do is get them to through in the unlimited airrave plan for free. They did it for me.

11-04-09 07:41 PM
    Sprint also gave me one of those airave devices, and yes i was ticked off that they charged me an extra $5 a month to use it. So dont be surprised when u see it on your bill
    11-04-09 07:45 PM
    Alot of it has to do with the radio issues on the Tour, not Sprint coverage. The OP might have bad Sprint coverage in his/her area, if that is the case then canceling within 30 days would have been the way to go. I have had Sprint for 10 years plus never had signal issues until I got my Tours, its a radio thing that will hopefully be fixed with an official OS sooner than later. Not saying that is the OPs problem, but that is what mine is, not Sprint service. I got the air rave too, but I cannot use it, it messes up the bandwidth that the Xbox uses and it will not stay connected.
    I've also also used Sprint for years, and I had connection problems here with my Curve as well. This is most definitely a coverage issue.

And the whole $5/month thing is no biggie to me if I can actually receive calls in my room. I would take 20 months to add up to the new cost ($100) of an Airave, so I figure that is a pretty good deal.
    11-04-09 07:51 PM
    I'd rather pay for the hardware and not the monthly fee... At least with the hardware cost you are getting something and it's one time. The monthly fee goes on for as long as you use it and you are paying to use your own bandwidth...
    11-04-09 07:55 PM
    what OP doesn't realize is there is monthly charge for Sprint Airwave serivce. There are different plans for it.

Also the last time I check, Air Wave only supports voice service. So if your phone is locked onto the Air wave for signal, you won't get data services.

Not true, the Airave only supports voice but it will not block data. If i go to the good corner of my house I can even get 1XEV.
    11-04-09 09:55 PM
    Not true, the Airave only supports voice but it will not block data. If i go to the good corner of my house I can even get 1XEV.
    That means you are back on Sprint cell tower. Your cell phone antenna cannot be on Airave and cell antenna at the same time.

For you if you have 1XEV, why do you need the airave anyway.

11-04-09 10:11 PM

Not always true...when I was having trouble receiving calls and using voicemail, Sprint offered me the Airave free (no requests/demands/******** on my part), and also offered to waive the monthly fee.
    11-05-09 07:40 AM
    I'm currently trying to get them to waive the monthly fee. I pointed out to them that I could terminate my account, sell my Tour, and switch to Verizon for a net loss of $10, so maybe they'll cooperate with me.

11-05-09 08:02 AM

You want him to check the wall material? bwahahaha... with what thermal heat recognition. It's Sprints fault for having shotty coverage thats all there is too it. As a consumer he did his due diligence and voiced his angst. Therefore, he got something for free which is d@mn near impossible in this day and age.

The next step is when his contract is up switch to Verizon the superior carrier.
    11-05-09 08:30 AM
    That means you are back on Sprint cell tower. Your cell phone antenna cannot be on Airave and cell antenna at the same time.

For you if you have 1XEV, why do you need the airave anyway.

Maybe your right but if I dial *99 it tells me that I am within airave coverage.
    11-05-09 08:56 AM
    Maybe your right but if I dial *99 it tells me that I am within airave coverage.
    When using data, your device automatically switches from the Airave to the network, and then back to the Airave when data usage is complete, so when you call *99 is would of course still say that you're connected to the airave.
    11-05-09 08:56 PM
    Again, incorrect. First it's called the Airave, not Air Wave. Second it supports both voice and data. Data is only 1X though unless you have good data coverage from a tower-your phone will use that instead and you'll have
    1XEV.
    Try this. Make a voice call on Airave and maintain the line. Then use your phone to browse the internet.
    11-06-09 08:53 AM
    That's my point. Airave doesn't support data. He's getting data becuase his cell phone antenna is using Airave for voice and cell tower for dat. This gives the false impression that you can get data with Airave, espeically for users who have zero bar to the cell tower.

11-06-09 06:45 PM
    Look folks, if you don't know what you're talking about....just dot post it! Misinformation does not help anyone!

Straight from the Sprint website:

"...will broadcast full voice (1x) service to every Sprint PCS phone within 5000 square feet..."
    11-06-09 08:44 PM
    Man this thread is all screwed up... Voice call + data at the same time shouldn't even be in here...
    11-06-09 08:51 PM
    Here is Sprint's FAQ for the Airave. Read for yourself, leskchan, you'll see you're the one posting false information.

http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...irave_faqs.pdf
    No data. Read the FAQ.

Question 6. Voice and text only. Text is not data.

Question 22. No data.

Also, airave connects through your internet to Sprint. It's not a repeater/booster to your cell tower. There is no such connection.

Last edited by leskchan; 11-06-09 at 09:49 PM.
    11-06-09 09:39 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD