I'm getting frustrated with *always* having to wait on new phones on Verizon and previously Sprint. I know of people buying unlocked international handsets and using them on AT&T and T-Mobile, and if I had that option, I'd probably already have a Passport and Classic by now.

So, I'm about to jump ship to AT&T.

But... will Verizon's switch to Voice LTE, or whatever the technical term for it is, mean we'll be able to do the same thing on Verizon in the future? I'm don't keep up on this side of things, but I'm guessing the issue will then be radio frequencies as opposed to technology.

I'm not a big fan of AT&T and outside 4 or 5 of the larger cities here in Ohio where they have 4G, T-Mobile only has *2G* coverage.

It'd be one thing if we were just waiting on one device... but it's every bloody release.
    01-24-15 02:38 PM
    It's likely to HELP, but Verizon is very used to having full control of which devices are on their network, and that works very much to their own advantage, so I can assure you that they will cling to this level of control with all of their might, even though there will be no technology-based reason for it anymore.

The one potential bright light is that, due to an agreement with the FCC, Verizon is required to allow phones that support LTE band 13 onto their networks, so as long as manufacturers included this band in the phone, Verizon would have no choice but to allow that phone on their network. You can bet Verizon is doing everything it can to get this rule overturned or set aside, though.
    01-24-15 02:45 PM
    I'm with you on that. I currently have a Z30 with an unlimited data plan and not in a rush to give it up. I may just get an unlocked Passport and go monthly on AT&T or Tmobile. I really want a Passport, so it may come down to that. Fortunately on Long Island NY AT&T and Tmobile service is pretty good with coverage. It'll just suck that I'll have 2 phone numbers and have to pay for two phones. Not too bad if you get the Tmobile $45 everything plan though. Worst case I'll use the passport on Wifi only.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    01-25-15 08:52 AM
    I have a Z30 with Verizon service and just purchased a Passport to use with service from T-Mobile. I'm currently using a Q10 on T-Mobile. I use my T-Mobile account as my business phone and for international travel. You can't beat T-Mobile's international plan and I have no problems with their service as long as I stay within major urban areas. I'll switch back to my Q10 when I travel outside of the country. Using my Z30 on Verizon and my Q10 / Passport on T-Mobile provides me with a service and device combination that works for me.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    01-25-15 11:08 AM
    It's likely to HELP, but Verizon is very used to having full control of which devices are on their network, and that works very much to their own advantage, so I can assure you that they will cling to this level of control with all of their might, even though there will be no technology-based reason for it anymore.

The one potential bright light is that, due to an agreement with the FCC, Verizon is required to allow phones that support LTE band 13 onto their networks, so as long as manufacturers included this band in the phone, Verizon would have no choice but to allow that phone on their network. You can bet Verizon is doing everything it can to get this rule overturned or set aside, though.
    Do you have a like article or something about the fcc /verizon 13 band? I googled but no cigar.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 01:59 PM

It will be a few more years yet until VoLTE is built out enough to be the default for Verizon. Agree that Verizon will hold out the CDMA requirement for fringe areas as a reason to keep their existing model.. So yes by BB10 10.5 you'll be able to use any new phone on Big Red.
    01-26-15 02:04 PM
    Do you have a like article or something about the fcc /verizon 13 band? I googled but no cigar.
    There are many of them but here is one:

Verizon?s VoLTE rollout will kill off CDMA ? and allow unlocked LTE phones, too | ExtremeTech
    danmoi likes this.
    01-26-15 02:21 PM
    Thank you. My Google fu must have been off today.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:50 PM
    What happens to older CDMA phones, e.g. 9850? This article makes it sound like they won't function on Verizon any longer? Is that true?
    01-27-15 09:52 PM
    What happens to older CDMA phones, e.g. 9850? This article makes it sound like they won't function on Verizon any longer? Is that true?
    I have a feeling that it will be one of those no additional infrastructure built type things. It wouldn't make sense to turn of CDMA any time soon because of mvnos.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 04:19 AM
    At some point it will be...but Verizon will slowly transition. In most cases you'll be a couple of upgrades in before they'll start flipping the switch off.
    01-28-15 11:38 AM