So with my previous 9930 I used a german T-mobile "X-tra card" to be able to receive text messages in the US from a bank in Germany. Reason being the bank could not text to a US number so I had them text to the german number associated with the german SIM card. Whenever I expected a text from the bank I'd switch to GSM and T-mobile, and voila, got the text instantly. Then back to CDMA and my US carrier Sprint, and the whole thing done within a minute.

When I asked Sprint why my Q10 that they just unlocked would not recognize the same SIM card (message says "not compatible with either network or device...") they said I had to be outside the US, or actually in Germany, for the SIM to connect to the T-mobile network... Is that true?? And why?? Can't believe I'd have lost this option with the Q10!!
    01-26-14 12:50 AM
    Provided your T mobile sim is a micro sim card I cannot see why it would nit work. I am assuming that your Q10 is a GSM phone?
    01-26-14 01:00 AM
    It is a micro SIM, this is not the issue. On Sprint the Q10 runs on the CDMA/LTE network, but can be switched to GSM/UMTS manually or automatically with the Global roaming setting which is the default. The point is that the Sprint tech thinks the Q10 with it's quite different OS10 than the 9930's OS7, and other stuff is not able to use a non-US T-mobile SIM card in the US. I'm trying to understand how this makes sense.
    01-26-14 01:26 AM
    I am not an expert on Sprint phones. I guess, unlike the Verizon dual mode phone, the GSM side of the Sprint phone is locked. And as such will only work with "Sprint International Services." Have a look here: But if your phone is truly unlocked I do not understand the issue. But look at the last three posts. Apparently some people are being told their phone is unlocked when it's not -- and they're having a tough time doing it.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/710677
    CV4evr likes this.
    01-26-14 04:53 AM
    Sprint phones are sold locked. Get an unlock code from them, or get permission from them to buy it. You can swap your activation to the 9930 and call them, and once they give you the code, enter it on the Q10 while you have them on the phone.
    01-26-14 10:46 AM
    I know the Q10 is sold unlocked. The 9930 was one of the few true international phones that Sprint sold unlocked. I do not have my 9930 anymore. Lost it, unfortunately. Um, Sprint provides unlock codes? And I need their permission to buy one from a 3rd party provider? Not sure of that, but I'll verify with Sprint. I'm sure the answer will not be that they would give me another code, after they already e-mailed me my phone being unlocked. What I'm pretty sure of after some more research is this. Sprint may indeed have unlocked my phone, but not for domestic GSM networks. I've found numerous statements online even from Sprint Care about their policy of not unlocking phones for use with US competitors and their networks, sometimes not even when a customer's contract with Sprint is up.
    01-26-14 10:36 PM
    I know the Q10 is sold unlocked.
    It is? By Sprint?

[QUOTE=CV4evr;9909185]Um, Sprint provides unlock codes?[QUOTE]

If the phone isn't sold unlocked, they'd have to.

And I need their permission to buy one from a 3rd party provider?
    By law, yes. Either the carrier unlocks it, or you have to get their permission to get it unlocked by a third party.

Sprint may indeed have unlocked my phone, but not for domestic GSM networks.
    If that's how they do it, it's the weirdest locking scheme I've come across. AFAIK, it's all or nothing--you unlock the entire GSM side, or none of it. But then, I've never had service from a CDMA carrier.
    01-27-14 12:08 AM

If that's how they do it, it's the weirdest locking scheme I've come across. AFAIK, it's all or nothing--you unlock the entire GSM side, or none of it. But then, I've never had service from a CDMA carrier.
    No. I believe that's a policy statement. If you go on their forums people with unlocked phones seem to be using them domestically (with the obvious limitations of a GSM side that was designed primarily for overseas).

The original CDMA dual mode scheme was: lock you up domestically on CDMA (thus though Sprint and Verizon share frequencies it's very difficult to be allowed to move your phone from one to the other); and then lock you up overseas by forcing you to use their GSM "roaming partners" (expensive). Now Verizon's GSM side just comes unlocked because the domestic GSM frequencies have become so sophisticated that their unlocked GSM side is primitive -- in other words, they no longer fear that there will be a mass exodus to GSM carriers because the GSM side is so crappy.
    raino and CV4evr like this.
    01-27-14 04:57 AM
    [QUOTE=raino;9909409]It is? By Sprint?

Sorry, meant to say locked!
    01-27-14 07:00 AM
    No. I believe that's a policy statement.
    OK. That's what I thought.

If you go on their forums people with unlocked phones seem to be using them domestically (with the obvious limitations of a GSM side that was designed primarily for overseas).
    Limitations with the Q10? Still? Sprint Q10 I think has UMTS 850/1900, which will make it work on AT&T's 3G/HSPA+ networks and TMO's refarmed HSPA+ network. Older models used to pack only UMTS 900/2100 bands.
    01-27-14 09:16 AM
    Thought they were still 900/2100. If not, no wonder they're paranoid.
    01-27-14 03:21 PM
    At this point I'm still not sure if my phone has been unlocked "internationally", or where in Settings I would be able to see this anyway. During my last call with a tech rep he found my phone NOT being unlocked, as opposed to what Sprint Care even confirmed in a previous e-mail. They are SO incompetent!
    Then again, a couple Sprint technicians thought the foreign T-mo SIM wasn't even compatible with a Sprint branded Q10 in the first place, which is probably complete b.s. But again, assuming Sprint actually unlocked this phone for use with foreign carriers, should I technically be able to connect to US T-mo with the german T-mo SIM just like I did with the 9930?
    02-06-14 08:10 AM
    To see if it's unlocked go to Settings > Security and Privacy > SIM card. Scroll to bottom and should show: Network: unlocked; Network Subset: unlocked; Service provider: unlocked.
    02-06-14 08:46 AM
    Yeah I saw this before, but is this for a Q10 or rather a Z..? Please see the link, it looks different. Is this because it's still not unlocked "domestically"? Or would this indicate it's completely locked?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...locked-896861/
    02-06-14 08:58 AM
    But again, assuming Sprint actually unlocked this phone for use with foreign carriers, should I technically be able to connect to US T-mo with the german T-mo SIM just like I did with the 9930?
    You mean catch a US TMO signal with that German SIM? Possibly. It would depend upon roaming agreements between the two. In the US, I'd try to test the unlock status with an American SIM.
    02-06-14 08:59 AM
    Yeah I saw this before, but is this for a Q10 or rather a Z..? Please see the link, it looks different. Is this because it's still not unlocked "domestically"? Or would this indicate it's completely locked?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...locked-896861/
    No. There's no domestic-only SIM unlocking. Your phone is either locked or unlocked.

That is not to say domestic bands can't be disabled in other ways.
    02-06-14 09:05 AM
    You mean catch a US TMO signal with that German SIM? Possibly. It would depend upon roaming agreements between the two.
    Positive, it did work with the 9930.

In the US, I'd try to test the unlock status with an American SIM.
    But I was trying to prove out the phone is unlocked for international/foreign carriers. I already know Sprint didn't unlock it for domestic/US carriers, and if I wanted that I'd have to go the 3rd party MSL code route, if I understand correctly.
    02-06-14 09:06 AM
    No. There's no domestic-only SIM unlocking. Your phone is either locked or unlocked.
    Ok, so.... when Sprint's telling me they unlocked it "internationally", what did they do? Just bull**** me?
    02-06-14 09:08 AM
    Ok, so.... when Sprint's telling me they unlocked it "internationally", what did they do? Just bull**** me?
    Pretty much. They don't want to let you in (or simply don't know themselves...I wouldn't put it past them) on the fact that you CAN use this phone domestically as well. Upto HSPA+ on AT&T, everywhere.
    02-06-14 09:26 AM
    Yes, as mentioned before they are just stating 'policy', not reality. As has been said it is either locked or unlocked. There is no "sort-of-unlocked".
    02-06-14 10:50 AM
    Positive, it did work with the 9930.
    Then it should still work with the Q10 (should be even easier now that's there no BIS to worry about.) Try it. Also check under Settings as has been previously suggested.
    02-06-14 11:11 AM
    Yes, as mentioned before they are just stating 'policy', not reality. As has been said it is either locked or unlocked. There is no "sort-of-unlocked".
    Wow....just WOW!! No wonder those techs contradict each other and nothing changes. Are other carrier having similar policies? So imagine I really needed that phone abroad and had relied on Sprint only to find out once traveling it's not working and I had to find another solution. And I'm sure this has happened to others before. That sort of untruthfulness and distrust towards their customers is reason alone to take my business elsewhere.
    02-06-14 01:33 PM
    Then it should still work with the Q10 (should be even easier now that's there no BIS to worry about.) Try it.
    Well I did, that's the whole reason I started this thread. Guess I can seriously try it once I've actually managed to unlock.

Also check under Settings as has been previously suggested.
    I linked to the screenshot in my other thread below, but now that I learned I've not really been unlocked I understand these settings.
    02-06-14 01:39 PM
    Well I did, that's the whole reason I started this thread. Guess I can seriously try it once I've actually managed to unlock.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd try a couple of times again, or on a call I'm recording legally, get a rep to give me permission to get it unlocked (since that would satisfy the asinine "must have carrier's permission" requirement of the DMCA.) Then, I'd go to a third party unlocker and get the damn thing over with.

Just be mindful of the # of unlock attempts you make. I think the default is 10 incorrect codes before the phone gets permanently locked.
    CV4evr likes this.
    02-06-14 01:49 PM
    If you have the menu button to unlock the phone, then it is locked. If you don't have the menu button to unlock the phone, then it is unlocked.

There was some confusion on my part about the last digit of the IMEI. The engineering screen doesn't show it. The rep said it is random. I thought WTF?

However, consulting the book of knowledge, I found this:

http://www.imei.info/calc

So the last digit is a checksum. Apparently this hash isn't a good one since Tmob had the wrong last digit on file. Or they just routinely store a zero since it is just a hash.

I haven't tried that calculator since it might be a means for the NSA hackers to get my IMEI.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 03:09 PM
34 12