Hey guys,
    I'm a newbie here with a BB Bold 9000. So far like the phone and got the OS 5 installed for a better, advanced system. It's an unlocked Bold from Rogers but I'm connected with Telus. Now I have one major problem right now concerning my coverage area. As you may all know, Telus/ Bells has gone with the new HSPA and HSPA + network which allows them to offer the Iphone and other phones and high speed network phones such as the Bold 9700.
    The networks works fine in Southern Ontario in the GTA and all the way up to North Bay. Now I'm away from those HSPA coverage further north of Ontario and I have absolutely no coverage. At first I assumed that it would of worked because my last CDMA phone with Telus had coverage, not high speed data but at least phone and text.
    I would like to know if my Bold has the opportunity to connect to the basic network because right now I have nothing working and the network that shows up is only Rogers Wireless 2G. Is there any way I can have my BB connected for the basic?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    04-24-10 08:55 AM
    If by 'basic' you mean the Bell Telus CDMA network, sorry but no, you can't.
    The Bold does not have the capacity to work on North American CDMA networks.

It seems you already know that Bell and Telus don't have a 2G network.
    04-24-10 09:18 AM
    I can understand that it won't work on CDMA. But could I at least use phone and text and just simple things a phone does? Or am I out of hope for the time I'm visiting in Northern Ontario?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TIM0; 04-24-10 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling error
    04-24-10 10:14 AM
    I can understand that it won't work on CDMA. But could I at least use phone and text and just simple things a phone does? Or am I out of hope for the time I'm visiting in Northern Ontario?

Thanks.
    There's no HSPA+ coverage there, so no you can't use the phone to do anything but emergency calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 06:18 PM
    kriEv that is EXCELLENT information. I for one was assuming Rogers was already ahead of the curve for LTE, since they have been the first to launch everything else. As far as the Telus/Bell joint network is concerned, it will be very nice for those in rural areas currently not covered by Rogers 3.5G or HSPA+, but I have no doubt Rogers will be the first to lead use into the next gen again.
    Rogers didn't enter into an agreement with bell and Telus to share bells towers so if the Rogers signal goes down but bells is still avaislble the Rogers phone will go into sos mode

04-24-10 11:04 PM
    Rogers didn't enter into an agreement with bell and Telus to share bells towers so if the Rogers signal goes down but bells is still avaislble the Rogers phone will go into sos mode

In fact, when I search for networks here, the only one available is the Rogers 2G. I'm on Telus network so, only SOS mode available.
    04-29-10 07:51 PM
    Rogers and T-Bay Tel are bringing hspa to that part of Ontario this year.

http://www.tbaytel.net/media/news/TB...0-Mar%2024.pdf
    04-30-10 05:36 AM
    [QUOTE=LazyStarGazer;5059078]Rogers and T-Bay Tel are bringing hspa to that part of Ontario this year.

Great news, now I just have to wait and see when Telus will be expanding to Northern Ontario.
    05-01-10 09:53 PM
    Well, maybe you could buy a pay as you go CDMA phone from Telus, and forward your calls to it when you're in Thunder Bay?
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 05-02-10 at 10:49 AM.
    05-02-10 08:34 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD