Reports on other forums that the new Bell/Telus shared HSPA network that they are rapidly rolling out is in active test mode all across Canada, not just in major city centres. People are picking up their new HSPA network ID (302-880) on their devices coast to coast, and I've found it in rural areas in Ontario where Rogers currently doesn't offer HSPA coverage. I've heard they plan to switch it live sometime later in the fall.

(If you have a HSPA compatible 3G phone or HSPA internet stick and live in Canada, check your available networks and see if your device can detect a network with the ID 302-880. If you detect it, post a note to let us know where you are. The dRogers EDGE network ID is 302-720.)

Given that the Bell/Telus HSPA network is in test mode in rural areas, I'm thinking that they may be planning on a complete system switch from CDMA to HSPA all at once, coast to coast, all towers. If that is the case, they would instantly have (by far) the most extensive HSPA network coverage in Canada....
    08-23-09 03:01 PM
    I'm thinking that they may be planning on a complete system switch from CDMA to HSPA all at once, coast to coast, all towers.
    CDMA will still be around for a few more years, they aren't just going to stop all at once.
    Last edited by Shao128; 08-23-09 at 03:09 PM.
    08-23-09 03:05 PM
    CDMA will still be around for a few more years, they aren't just going to stop al at once.
    True - I didn't mean that they would drop CDMA immediately, just that they might be pushing hard to offer access via HSPA as well across their entire network, not just in high-density areas like Rogers.
    08-23-09 03:09 PM
    I just did a scan on my Bold and it picked up a 3G network 302-880
    08-23-09 03:09 PM
    (If you have a HSPA compatible 3G phone or HSPA internet stick and live in Canada, check your available networks and see if your device can detect a network with the ID 302-880. If you detect it, post a note to let us know where you are. The dRogers EDGE network ID is 302-720.)
    302-880 is available in the west end of Ottawa. Wasn't able to connect to it (hardly surprising, I suppose) but my Bold certainly picked it up.

Doug
    08-23-09 04:34 PM
    Where do you go in the phone to see the ID?

Anytime I scan for networks all it says is Rogers. that's it
    08-23-09 05:44 PM
    Where do you go in the phone to see the ID?

Anytime I scan for networks all it says is Rogers. that's it
    Im not sure that the 8220 would see it. On mine the network shows up as 3G and the 8220 doesn't have a 3G radio in it.
    08-23-09 05:49 PM
    to answer the OP...yes...in short once Bell/Telus turn on their HSPA network they will have better coverage than Rogers.

The simple reason? well Rogers has not taken advantage of covering a lot of rural areas, including the maritimes, this alone makes bell/telus more appealing to folks in those areas.
    08-23-09 05:55 PM
    Where do I go tp check for 302-880? I have a bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 07:37 PM
    Where do I go tp check for 302-880? I have a bold.
    Options > Mobile Network and change Network Selection Mode to manual.
    08-23-09 07:44 PM
    got the 302-880 in markham
    08-23-09 08:10 PM
    Options > Mobile Network and change Network Selection Mode to manual.
    Thanks, got the 302-880 in north york area

08-23-09 10:08 PM
    to answer the OP...yes...in short once Bell/Telus turn on their HSPA network they will have better coverage than Rogers.

The simple reason? well Rogers has not taken advantage of covering a lot of rural areas, including the maritimes, this alone makes bell/telus more appealing to folks in those areas.

Here's a suggestion (that would probably had Ted Rogers rolling in his grave, god rest his pioneering soul...) - Rogers should work out a 'roaming' agreement with Bell/Telus for areas where they will have high-speed HSPA coverage and Rogers won't... :-)
    08-24-09 10:05 AM
    Here's a suggestion (that would probably had Ted Rogers rolling in his grave, god rest his pioneering soul...) - Rogers should work out a 'roaming' agreement with Bell/Telus for areas where they will have high-speed HSPA coverage and Rogers won't... :-)
    In Manitoba Rogers and MTS just recently made a roaming deal. Rogers coverage outside of Winnipeg is spotty at best, but MTS covers much of the province, so for us in Manitoba on Rogers that is good news.

Maybe we'll see Rogers make deals with other regional carries to improve coverage.
    08-24-09 10:14 AM
    I live in alberta and just did a road trip this past weekend , I stopped quite often ( can't smoke in a rental lol ) i scanned alot of places I stopped . I must say I did see bellus lots . However I was very impressed with the improvement of rogers coverage now .
    I take alot of secondary highways when I went and went in to alot of places only a few yrs ago I had no signal at all . Now I had no dead spots whats so ever and even had 3g in towns that are no where near the major citys that have 3g .

The biggest downfall to the new bellus network in my mind is when they have a network issues they will have no service , with rogers at least it will drop to edge then gprs at the worst lol .

I think it's gonna be interesting when the new network goes live .
    08-24-09 11:05 AM
    I've got a Bold here with Rogers and when I use manual selection I see an unnamed network 302-880 with 3G next to it.
    08-24-09 06:01 PM
    I live in alberta and just did a road trip this past weekend , I stopped quite often ( can't smoke in a rental lol ) i scanned alot of places I stopped . I must say I did see bellus lots . However I was very impressed with the improvement of rogers coverage now .
    I take alot of secondary highways when I went and went in to alot of places only a few yrs ago I had no signal at all . Now I had no dead spots whats so ever and even had 3g in towns that are no where near the major citys that have 3g .

The biggest downfall to the new bellus network in my mind is when they have a
    network issues they will have no service , with rogers at least it will drop to edge then gprs at the worst lol

I think it's gonna be interesting when the new network goes live .

Well, at first I thought that was a scary thought. Then I realized that I've been with Telus for 10 years and I can't recall a catastrophic national system outage. Unless the CDMA network has a backup, or different signal/frequency that a Telus device would automatically switch to in the event of an outage???

08-24-09 07:46 PM
    Telus National Coverage Map

Belus has better coverage than Rogers already. Putting new equipment on their existing towers means they'll have better coverage than Rogers on more than one frquency.

Also, I've read that Rogers' HSPA transmitters are 25 Megs, while the Belus ones will be 100 Megs. ( I assume that Meg means Megawatt, similar to FM radio, and a stronger signal will travel farther and penetrate buildings better?)

A. I don't know if this has been confirmed.

B. Can anyone explain what that means?

(I assume that Meg means Megawatt, similar to FM radio, and a stronger signal will travel farther and penetrate buildings better?)

Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 08-24-09 at 08:04 PM.
    08-24-09 07:59 PM
    Geese, hope it's not megawatts or we'll all be glowing in the dark...LOL
    08-24-09 08:20 PM
    damn it storm 1 .... now what. anyone in the
    St Catharines Hamilton Niagara area to check the 302-880 network... What phones on Telus run on the new network besides the Tour..
    08-24-09 09:30 PM
    I can see a 302-880 network with 3G next to it in downtown Halifax.
    08-25-09 12:44 PM
    So when is it going to be active?
    08-25-09 04:40 PM
    302-880 Visible in the Lower Mainland of BC (Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, ETC.)
    08-25-09 07:08 PM
    You must need a Bold for this to work cause with my Curve all I see is Rogers here in Halifax.
    08-25-09 07:38 PM
    You must need a Bold for this to work cause with my Curve all I see is Rogers here in Halifax.
    Possibly. Where in Halifax are you? I detected the 302-880 network with my Bold from the Centennial Building on Hollis Street.
    08-25-09 08:19 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD