Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions I couldn't find on the net. I currently have BIS service with Vodafone in Australia, so my questions are:

1) I have read somewhere that browsing the internet will not work with BIS service plans on the new Z10, is this true?

2) Will I be able to get the device updates? since Vodafone will not be selling or supporting either the Z10 or the Q10.

Cheers ((:
    03-18-13 04:46 AM
    1) BIS is not required for the Z10, but will work fine if you already have it.
    2) Vodafone will have the Z10
    03-18-13 04:52 AM
    Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions I couldn't find on the net. I currently have BIS service with Vodafone in Australia, so my questions are:

1) I have read somewhere that browsing the internet will not work with BIS service plans on the new Z10, is this true?

2) Will I be able to get the device updates? since Vodafone will not be selling or supporting either the Z10 or the Q10.

Cheers ((:
    1. I'm using a Z10 on Vodafone AU but BIS is no longer required. Previously used 9900 with a plan that included both BIS service and 1.5GB data plan.

2. Saw a thread that mentioned software update can now be performed via Link without a SIM. If that doesn't work, use an Optus SIM which worked for me. I believe a Telstra SIM will work too.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 05:33 AM
    I'm using stl100-3 unlocked and it's working using my vodafone sim.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 05:33 AM
    Philuk. Voda au are not supplying the z10.

1 yes no bis means will work completely fine (as previously mentioned)
    2 They may not, however a cheap and easy solution is to buy a $2 optus prepaid sim, put it in your phone when a software update is released, download and install it, put your voda sim back in.
    03-18-13 06:03 AM
    So if I am still on the BIS service plan, my Z10 will work just fine with internet. right?
    03-18-13 06:40 AM
    1) BIS is not required for the Z10, but will work fine if you already have it.
    2) Vodafone will have the Z10
    Vodafone Australia didnt announce any BB10 devices. Even though the official launch was earlier today.
    03-18-13 06:42 AM
    So if I am still on the BIS service plan, my Z10 will work just fine with internet. right?
    Yes, that's right
    03-18-13 06:58 AM
    Yes, that's right
    You may just want to check the amount of data you'll have using BIS.
    03-18-13 07:02 AM
    Philuk. Voda au are not supplying the z10.
    Really?... are Vodafone AU not part of the global Vodafone group that 'are' supplying the Z10?
    03-18-13 07:26 AM
    Vodafone globally, apart from AU it seems (even our neighbours Voda NZ got it). It seems quite bizarre as I saw Voda UK and NZ one of the leaders in the Z10 launch in their countries.

For whatever reason Voda aren't big on BB here. They may consider it in the future if the Z10 is successful here, or may jump on board with the Q10.

I know staff have said there that they are shifting away from BB.

Personally I think one big factor, is the fact Voda don't have 4g/lte here (they have a network which is like a 3.5g with speeds in between 3g and 4g/lte) and they feel that a lot of people will go to Optus and Telstra who have 4g anyway and perhaps this persuaded them to ignore the Z10.

I am a Voda customer and will be switching to Optus Monday when it's released, and despite being quite happy with them, I might have moved to Optus anyway because of the 4G thing. I know 4G isn't a big deal, and it takes up a lot of battery life, but I sort of feel like I am missing out by having a 4g phone on the only network without 4g. Since I spend all day at work in a car with a car charger, then at night at an office with a wall charger (in a 4g zone, but with no wifi), then I don't mind the battery life (If I was travelling or out on a weekend then I can turn it off).

Perhaps it is also because Voda are like a budget carrier here (cheaper prices but less coverage and no 4g). Optus is fairly popular with business and has better coverage and 4G (although a bit more expensive ) and they have always been on board with BB and like the 9900, the Z10 will launch first on their network. Telstra is also big for business users, it has the best network and best speeds, a bit expensive but quality and coverage can't be beaten. BB users are much more suited to Optus and Telstra in general than Voda.

Really?... are Vodafone AU not part of the global Vodafone group that 'are' supplying the Z10?
    03-18-13 10:07 AM
    I have had the new Z10 working as a BIS service on the Vodafone network for the last week. First off, its a great phone & I highly recommend it to Blackberry users who stare enviously at the elegance of an iPhone. Definitely an iPhone beater if you still want BB utility.

Admittedly it was a bit problematic getting it to work given that Vodafone is not supporting it. Unfortunately the Vodafone internet interface didn't recognise the phone automatically. I had to get Vodafone to register the device. Even when registered the interface couldn't be used to establish my POP or IMAP accounts.

I did waste time because I didn't have the latest OS. As Vodafone is not supporting it, you can't get updates. The problem was that even when connected to wifi, the phone said it had the latest software. I needed to get an Optus prepaid for $30 - 6 month expiry. Make sure to connect the Z10 to wifi as the update was 125mg. More than the prepaid has available. I'll use the prepaid for the next 6 months for updates or until Vodafone starts supporting it.

The big issues for me were setting up the IMAP & POP accounts. Again it wasn't automatic & you needed to know servers & ports for particular mail servers. Even Bigpond wasn't easy. I also had a problem with google & especially calDav for google calendar.

You also need to use the new Blackberry link. A bit undercooked at the moment. Switching from my old BB to the Z10 was incomplete. Mail not carried across, address book not either. The one way sync from Outlook worked but I ended up duplicating all my contacts. It wouldn't sync calendar. I had to cut my calendar to google calendar & then sync it across.

Overall a bit frustrating but quite satisfying if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I would think that having the latest OS I could have saved some of the grief.

Overall, works well; there are most of the apps available & the rest on the way.
    03-28-13 05:05 AM
    Steve a $2 optus sim will do the trick with the update. No need to waste $30 People in Australia have used that method successfully

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:14 AM
    Bummer! Went to Optus store & they insisted that this was the cheapest - ripped off again by a Telco - no surprises there
    03-29-13 01:36 AM
    I just got my Q10 from Vodafone, they didn't offer me a choice for the Z10. The sales guy keep insisting on iPhone and androids and I'm like no I would a blackberry please. Previous phone was a the newer bold. Tried iphones and androids but I'll always come back to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 04:52 PM