I am currently a t mobile customer for thepast 5 years and I have no complaints on T mobile except their blackberry selection sucks.

I was ready to jump ship but after comparing apple to apple, Verizon is just too expensive for me to make the jump.

My plan with T mobile
    1500 minutes with unlimited web browsing and data
    Unlimited weekend and nights
    Equipment insurance
    500 text messages
    89.95 / mo

Verizon plan
    Over $140.00 for the equivalent.

I am running a storm 9500 on t mobile, but after looking at Verizon's so called discount rates taking effect after 1/18/10, no reason to break a contract and jump ship for the storm 2 and still end up getting raped every month. What exactly am I getting that is worth the move?

Live in NYC so coverage amongst the two carriers is not an issue for me.
    01-18-10 08:09 PM
    Some one has to be. Prices are about identical to ATT. Also VZW has a much larger network to maintain, which means better coverage in more areas then TMO.

But the beat answer for this a a nicely written letter to VZW corp to ask them.
    01-18-10 08:12 PM
    It all depends on coverage. Where I live in Idaho Verizon is dominate. We have all the carriers but none really work outside the cities. So you get good coveragefrom Verizon in my area. I also get the highest employee discount through Verizon over any there carrier. I get 17% off my plan and 20% of my data so I can't complain too much of the prices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 08:12 PM
    Live in NYC so coverage amongst the two carriers is not an issue for me.
    Coverage is why it cost more. There is no reason to switch if your happy with the service they provide.

It's like asking why a Lexus cost more than Toyotas. There is no reason to spend more money on a Lexus if your happy with a Toyota.
    01-18-10 08:56 PM
    Coverage is why it cost more. There is no reason to switch if your happy with the service they provide.

It's like asking why a Lexus cost more than Toyotas. There is no reason to spend more money on a Lexus if your happy with a Toyota.
    Thats a bad analogy. Network service is area dependent. In some areas T-mobile is a Lexus, and Verizon is a toyota. The issue is 100% about perception. Fact, the vast majority of cell phone users can use any network and experience great results. For those that live in rural areas, smaller local networks, or Verizon may be superior.

For instance, Sprint covers more people in the nation than any other carrier, thats a fact, but perception and the commercials of a bright red map make people think that Verizon does.

Bottom line is, they are all essentially the same. If you live in the sticks, Verizon is great. Its all about perception, and marketing. The maps, are also quick to only show 3G coverage. The bottom line, is your phone a phone? Pretty much anywhere in the country on the Big 3, it sure is. You may not have data on AT&T or Sprint when you're lugging the kids in the family truckster through Wolf Creek, Wyoming, but you can still make a phone call.
    01-18-10 09:17 PM
    Well, I can't even use T-mo. Of four places I NEED to have my phone work T-mo only has coverage in one. And I'm not talking spotty coverage in the other three, I'm talking no service of any sort within 50+ miles. And when I ws driving truck it was a no brainer to stick with Verizon. I had voice and high speed internet almost everywhere! But like others mentioned, if it works for you then stick with it.

01-18-10 09:25 PM
    On the new unlimited pricing remember TALK only is the 69.99
    TALK and TEXT is 89.99 unlimited and then you have the 29.99 data for the BB

that is still an excellent value. If I used a lot of minutes I would make the switch to the unlimited but I don't. I do text more and everyone I talk to is on Big Red except for a few and still, would just be waste of money for me to go unlimited right now.
    I am on the lowest minute plan and on the old plan. Actually, the plan I have now is cheaper than the new one so am staying with it. But you choose what is right for you. I am grandfathered in and until they tell me otherwise, not making a change I talked to them today and am ok with what I am currently on. But that new unlimited pricing is awesome for those who talk a lot.
    01-18-10 09:35 PM
    Verizon Pricing:

Unlimited Talk - 69.99
    500 Text - 10.00
    Email and Web - 29.99
    Insurance - 6.00

Total: $115.98

Add $10 you have everything unlimited.

01-18-10 09:37 PM
    Verizon is expensive, but so are the other major carriers. The differences are really very minor. People say "you get what you pay for", but with only 2-3 major carriers, you lack the true competitive environment that would lead to lower prices.

And when the model is "build as many towers as possible", it's hard to compete so much on price, quality of customer service, and phone selection.
    01-18-10 10:04 PM
    It costs lots of $ to record your every move, conversation and text. After reporting it back to the Feds the costs are astronomical, someone has to cover it.
    01-18-10 11:00 PM
    Its more expensive b/c verizon pumps money right back into its network to bring on bigger and better network spectrum. and to the guy that said sprint has more coverage for a "fact"... Back that lie up with a link. People are f-in' ******** on here.

01-19-10 01:59 AM
    Verizon is more expensive because they CAN be that way.

Their coverage is the best. For many people, Verizon is the only carrier choice due to coverage. There isn't enough competition and choice for them. So Verizon can charge as much as they want and people will still continue to pay.

01-19-10 02:23 AM
    It's all about the coverage. Verizon has the best service for the places I need. For that, they can pretty much demand their price from me. If AT&T or Sprint, etc covered where I go, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Until then, looks like I'll be traveling the "big red map" with Verizon.
    01-19-10 02:55 AM
    T-Mobile and Sprint have to be cheaper...

If they both shared the same pricing as Verizon and AT&T, Sprint and T-Mo would be blown out of the water...

They had to lower their prices to be an attractive alternate...

As for coverage... Sprint does not cover the most people in the country. After all the roaming agreements, Verizon still covers the largest percentage of the country's population...

And as far as roaming goes... The less you roam the better... From authentication issues, to VLR and profile issues, a lot more can go wrong roaming off a competitors tower...

So Verizon service is more reliable than anyone who roams off of their network...

And roaming agreements are always changing...

On top of the service... The devices...

I'm not going to touch on this too much, but Verizon has the widest variety and arguably the best lineup of devices of any of the networks...
    Some might argue AT&T has better, but when they get Android and webOS devices it'll be a better match...

After than you have T-Mobile, then finally Sprint, dated Android and webOS devices...

I'm a little too lazy, and far too tired to even get into customer service...

But...

While I agree that, for many, cell service not vary substantially regardless of the carrier... It's not all about perception and over hyping of the Big Red Map...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 01-19-10 at 05:18 AM.
    01-19-10 04:58 AM
    For instance, Sprint covers more people in the nation than any other carrier, thats a fact, but perception and the commercials of a bright red map make people think that Verizon does.
    I call your fact here into question.

It was released a few months ago that Sprint entered into an agreement to allow all of their customers to roam onto Verizon's network where Sprint doesn't offer coverage.
    01-19-10 07:27 AM
    I call your fact here into question.

It was released a few months ago that Sprint entered into an agreement to allow all of their customers to roam onto Verizon's network where Sprint doesn't offer coverage.
    While this is true, it is also my understanding that the roaming agreement is "limited" and will not necessarily give a Sprint roamer the same performance a VZW customer would get.
    01-19-10 09:18 AM
    While this is true, it is also my understanding that the roaming agreement is "limited" and will not necessarily give a Sprint roamer the same performance a VZW customer would get.
    I believe the sprint on Verizon roaming is non 3G, or 1RX and/or lower.
    01-19-10 10:54 AM
    Thanks...I read a wide variety of material and thought I had partially absorbed what you so much better described than I did. Bottom line is...Sprint roams on VZW...but it ain't the same.
    01-19-10 11:51 AM
    ...For instance, Sprint covers more people in the nation than any other carrier, thats a fact, but perception and the commercials of a bright red map make people think that Verizon does...
    I'd like to see where your information came from. I just did a (very) quick search and found:
    AT&T 303 million covered by EDGE / 223 million covered by 3G
    Sprint 170 million covered by EVDO (didn't find anything about general 1x)
    T-mobile 200 million covered by 3G
    Verizon 280 million covered by EVDO

I'm sure the numbers are wrong as each carrier likes to exaggerate, but that is what each listed on their sites.

...It was released a few months ago that Sprint entered into an agreement to allow all of their customers to roam onto Verizon's network where Sprint doesn't offer coverage.
    I was able to do that with Sprint over a year ago when I had them. That is a nice ability.
    01-19-10 12:31 PM
    That and you cant spend the majority of your minutes roaming on Verizons network. If you do Sprint has the option to drop you.
    01-19-10 12:51 PM
    I think what Semantics meant is that including roaming agreements, Sprint has the best coverage.

This is untrue.... But I believe that's what he meant...
    01-19-10 01:33 PM
    Verizon is about COVERAGE They pour so much money into their network over a billion quarterly. NO LIE

The new plans are decent and the unlimited a great value for those who talk a lot.

Best line up on phones and smartphones as well. Customer Service surpasses them all.
    01-19-10 02:48 PM
    verizon is expensive,,,but the network is good
    01-19-10 03:10 PM
    They are expensive for the same reason that living in California is expensive: Because its worth it.
    01-19-10 03:40 PM
    TMO is a a terrible mobile company at least in the USA (fact look up their coverage maps!) Their coverage maps look like a pre paid network!!! Its legitimately ridiculous! Verizon has coverage over 290 million people (meaning they could cover that many people not that they do) so if you want a phone that works you have to PAY for it kbye

01-19-10 03:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD