I just got an 8820, and love it. I'm with ATT, and am reading about "unlocking" it.

What does this do, and why would I want to do it?

Patrick
    02-26-08 03:33 PM
    Unlocking would let you use the SIM card of any carrier. Handy if you wanted to switch providers or maybe for travelling abroad so that you could use a local sim to keep costs down.
    02-26-08 03:36 PM
    I had my 8800 unlocked so that it has a higher resale value when I sell it in the spring for an 8820
    02-26-08 04:49 PM
    The biggest benefit is that you're not locked into only using one carrier on it, like att.

Unlocking is great for international travelers so you don't have to buy a phone in another country when traveling. Its also nice if you need to switch providers for some reason or want to sell the phone later. An unlocked phone can appeal and be used by more potential buyers than a locked one, and you'll get more for it too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-08 04:53 PM
    hey can you help me unlock my 8310, would really appreciate it.
    02-26-08 05:05 PM
    Sure we can definitely help.. Call your provider and ask for the unlock code. Once you've got it just head over to the curve forums for step by step instructions on how to use it to unlock your phone.

Glad I could help!

02-26-08 05:35 PM
    Thanks guys.

Seems to me then there is no reason for me to unlock it.

Patrick
    02-26-08 06:18 PM
    Ihad my Curve unlocked cause it was locked to AT&T and I'm on Tmobile.

02-27-08 09:13 AM
    Thanks guys.

Patrick
    Yes you should have to unlock it for in case. if you wanted to selling your BB, people will interest to buy your bb but they will ask you does this bb unlock? You said no it doesn't. buyers will decline your offering and walk away from you for certain. its make you hardly selling for months or years. No kidding!

You will regret and realize that I am right..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 05-24-08 at 01:24 AM.
    05-24-08 01:21 AM
    DO NOT pay to have your Blackberry unlocked. Google around and you will find there are services out there that do charge, they run around $20-$30, but don't do it. My pastor got an iPhone and gave me his 8800. It was locked to Cingular/ATT. I called Cingular and explained that I am a missionary living overseas and how my pastor gave me his Blackberry. They were very helpful in getting my 8800 unlocked. I gave them my 8800's serial number, a.k.a. IMEI number, and they gave me the unlock code. All for free. Definitely get it unlocked, as was said in this thread before, it definitely increases the resale value.
    05-25-08 08:22 AM
    DO NOT pay to have your Blackberry unlocked. Google around and you will find there are services out there that do charge, they run around $20-$30, but don't do it. My pastor got an iPhone and gave me his 8800. It was locked to Cingular/ATT. I called Cingular and explained that I am a missionary living overseas and how my pastor gave me his Blackberry. They were very helpful in getting my 8800 unlocked. I gave them my 8800's serial number, a.k.a. IMEI number, and they gave me the unlock code. All for free. Definitely get it unlocked, as was said in this thread before, it definitely increases the resale value.
    I tried this once with my cell phone carrier Rogers, and they refused to help me unlock my phone. This happened after I have been for them for over 3 years, what can I say a lousy company.
    05-28-08 02:42 PM
    Yeah, I'm going to leave it locked because I don't need to use it outside my network, and so it is additional security.

If I ever go to sell it, then as the original owner, I'll unlock it if the buyer wants me to get it unlocked for them to avoid any hassle.
    05-28-08 06:17 PM
    i heard that when you unlock your phone, the service isn't as great... has anyone had problems with the service after unlocking their phones?
    05-28-08 06:21 PM
    i heard that when you unlock your phone, the service isn't as great... has anyone had problems with the service after unlocking their phones?
    My AT&T branded Curve is unlocked and there has been no degradation in service or function.
    05-28-08 08:33 PM
    i have a 8800 for tmobile, it's unlocked and i've had no problems with service.
    06-14-08 02:08 AM
    Unlocking is awesome. I can't do it to my Curve because it's on a CDMA network. BUT I have my iPhone unlocked and have used many different networks in a different country and no problems, when I put my TMO sim card back in. GSM networks are sweet.
    06-14-08 02:11 AM
    Unlocking is awesome. I can't do it to my Curve because it's on a CDMA network. BUT I have my iPhone unlocked and have used many different networks in a different country and no problems, when I put my TMO sim card back in. GSM networks are sweet.
    Does that mean a Sprint phone can only ever be used with Sprint?
    06-14-08 04:04 AM
    dose it void the warrenty?
    07-19-09 06:45 AM
    I've never heard of unlocking a phone making it less secure. Any truth to that?
    07-19-09 07:15 PM
    You might want to see this ==> Unlock You Blackberry For Free
    07-23-09 06:49 AM
    Unlocking a phone does nothing to the security of phone!
    08-07-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks guys.

Patrick
    Not unless you change provider for some reason.
    08-25-09 02:58 PM
    no warranty isnt voided

unlock is nicee, can use with other gsm carriers which is sweeeet, specially in asia
    08-25-09 04:23 PM
    Hi bought a blackberry 8900 curve unlocked for �200.

Problem is i cant access the browser or email coz 3 Network do not have setting for me.

Would i encounter this with all sim's i might bye? Do you have to get your blackberry alread contracted to a provider?

I cant understand this, but the box the blackberry has come in shows no sign of any provider like t-mobile or virgin or 02...... think i have just wasted �200.... can anyone help?

Mny thanks!
    01-14-10 11:59 AM
    You need to add service books to the device.

Once you install it right, everything will work fine.
    01-14-10 12:02 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD