This coming Friday I am going to Florida for a couple of weeks and I already purchased Bell's American calling and texting plans, so I won't be charged roaming fee's when using my Tour. However I never understood why don't have those types of plans for when sending e-mails from our BlackBerry's, because everytime I need to write one I get charged roaming fees for that. Yes I know that I could turn off the connections for them and etc, however there will be some e-mails I need to write on my Tour and the business center where I am staying charges $10 for every 15 minutes I am online, so I figure what's the point of going there to write some e-mails.
    07-25-10 06:17 PM
    Have you called and asked them? I remember something on HoFo a couple months ago where Bell was offering (not advertising) a US data package. It would replace your current data package though, so if you have unlimited, it's probably not worth it. It was 35$/month for 500mb and 45$/month for 1gb.
    07-25-10 06:40 PM
    Have you called and asked them? I remember something on HoFo a couple months ago where Bell was offering (not advertising) a US data package. It would replace your current data package though, so if you have unlimited, it's probably not worth it. It was 35$/month for 500mb and 45$/month for 1gb.
    Good memory! Actually, I just called and can confirm that these are *NOT* add-ons as you pointed out. They replace your existing plan. I really wish Bell got their thumbs out and offered data add-ons but I guess it's hard to make money on them. And no, I'm not being cynical, I'm trying to see it from their point of view. ;-)

I have a grandfathered Unlimited Internet BIS plan for $30/month and confirmed that I could not go back to it as there is no option to temporarily replace it. My contract goes to September 2011. I hope they have something just as good when I decide then who should have my business since I've been honestly very happy with Bell.

I'm travelling to the States myself for the next 2 weeks and will rely on WiFi hotspots for my data. Just have to remember to set my data service to "off while roaming".
    07-26-10 07:45 PM
    Actually they do have a usa pay plan to add onto your monthly service
    Its $10 to start then $1 per mb

I use it all the time when travelling stateside.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 05:39 PM
    Actually they do have a usa pay plan to add onto your monthly service
    Its $10 to start then $1 per mb

I use it all the time when travelling stateside.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ouch! Yes, the CS rep had offered that to me, but it sounds like it might add up very quickly!

/ES
    08-01-10 08:35 PM
    Ouch! Yes, the CS rep had offered that to me, but it sounds like it might add up very quickly!

/ES

I use it regularly

THANK GOODNESS for RIM's email system
    I used 4MB getting about 100 emails / BBM / and a couple of google searches while in the US for a week in June
    $14 to stay connected was well worth it.
    Our Western Sales guy who's personal phone was an iPhone racked up 30MB of data the same week, + he was sending txt messages because he lacked BBM, which corporately we all carry,

You clearly have to curb your usage, don't download those big images and attachments in your email, Don't heavily Surf websites, and stick to well made WAP sites, tell people you are US bound so you don't get pictures and sound clips sent to you via BBM and it isn't that expensive.
    08-02-10 07:27 AM
    I use it regularly

THANK GOODNESS for RIM's email system
    I used 4MB getting about 100 emails / BBM / and a couple of google searches while in the US for a week in June
    $14 to stay connected was well worth it.
    Our Western Sales guy who's personal phone was an iPhone racked up 30MB of data the same week, + he was sending txt messages because he lacked BBM, which corporately we all carry,

You clearly have to curb your usage, don't download those big images and attachments in your email, Don't heavily Surf websites, and stick to well made WAP sites, tell people you are US bound so you don't get pictures and sound clips sent to you via BBM and it isn't that expensive.
    Good call. I just came back from a trip to WASH DC and used 4.89 MB for an entire week. The BB 9700 automatically connected to the WiFi at the hotel and at my work place which saved data usage but even then I used it mainly as a communication tool, using BBM with my wife, who also had her BB while touring and shopping while I was working. I drove there and at least 1600 km of the round trip was in the USA too. I had Google Maps open too.

Since the BB's default settings don't download images in message attachments and RIMs' servers compress data so well, it was a pretty reasonable price (as you said) for staying connected. $10 + $1 / MB = $14.89. I'll use in Orlando the week after next, too, since the $10 "setup" fee is for one month for the USA data plan.

Thanks,

/ES
    08-14-10 07:40 AM
    I am glad we could help Webmaster, People get scared once they hear the $/MB come up.. but if just email and light data it wont hurt anything.

I use it all the time when i go cross border, and actually Bells new HSPA network reaches into NY state enough that when im in Buffalo or Lewiston I still get a Canadian signal!!!
    08-19-10 10:28 AM
    I am glad we could help Webmaster, People get scared once they hear the $/MB come up.. but if just email and light data it wont hurt anything.

I use it all the time when i go cross border, and actually Bells new HSPA network reaches into NY state enough that when im in Buffalo or Lewiston I still get a Canadian signal!!!
    It's a great place to learn and share ideas. Agreed.
    08-19-10 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD