I am thinking of switching to save $$ on a family plan. Both lines would have 3G phones.

I read a post yesterday where many 9700 owners were complaining about dropped calls in different areas of the US.

I experience dropped calls myself which seem to occur in my house mostly.

BTW, I live in Philly, PA.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    12-11-09 01:12 PM
    me, i lived in san diego, ca for a long time, service was always good unless, my moms house, then i used uma callin and loved it.
    12-11-09 01:17 PM
    I attempted to last Feb at the release of the 8900 but weak signal caused me jump right back. Great rate plans with Tmo but I was getting what I paid for. I'm sure Tmo will work well for others.
    12-11-09 01:21 PM
    Rich,
    I live in Easton, PA.....Att up here is decent. I use big red....Some that I know use Tmobile and have zero issues with them (outside of some billing, but who hasn't had billing issues with their carrier). If I were leaving big red, I would consider Tmobile over ATT.
    12-11-09 01:36 PM
    Made the switch about 2 years ago in chicago. Mainly did it for receptions problems in my house, ended up with much better reception, better customer service and a much lower bill. Consolidating all our lines from Sprint and ATT to TMo took our bill from $300+ a month to $130
    12-11-09 02:11 PM
    Philly has one of the most reliable parts of T-Mobile's network. Strongest signal, HSPA+, & UMA access.
    12-11-09 08:23 PM
    Switched like 7 months ago and still have one of the business accounts with them, looking forward to terminate that., no problem with the coverage with T-Mobile so far and the 'Customer Service' !!!! Wow !!!! coming from AT&T which really sucks in that area, what can I say. Not only me over 80% of my clients complaint about their customer service.....just my 2 cents. LOL
    12-11-09 08:42 PM
    I switched when TMO came out with the new pricing plan. I had drop calls with ATT and with TMO, but it seems ATT signal may better in buildings. In certain stores I get dropped to EDGE, in Key Largo dropped to EDGE, no 3G. When 3G works it is similar to ATT. In Orlando 3G kept coming in and out even when I had full bars. Drove to Tampa and came south on the west coast, had reception where I previously had reception with ATT, alligator alley lost reception like ATT. Over all though I am happy since I was save lots of $$$$$.
    12-12-09 10:23 AM
    I was with AT&T, battled with them all the time over billing issues, in which they would never give me a break, even when it was clearly their fault. Finally got mad enough to leave early and pay the penalty. Now I am saving $100.00 a month for me and my girlfriend (used to be paying for two iphones) on T-mobile.

I admit AT&T at least for me, provided less dropped calls and clearer voice signals. But when I thought about it, I get about four dropped calls a month on T-mobile. Is that worth saving $100.00 a month? Oh yeahh..... AT&T are jerks and they are finally paying for it. Come on over to T-mobile, where they will show your appreciated as a customer..
    12-12-09 06:28 PM
    I switched because the price was getting out of hand. For now, I'm on a Family plan with 600 mins, unlimited text, t-zones, for $65 for both phone.
    12-12-09 06:34 PM
    Being that you live in Philly, you're in the good with T-Mobile. I'm up in the Lehigh Valley. AT&T and T-Mobile are on par. I'm in an area w/o 3G regardless of carrier so I could care less about that service since I doubt I'll ever get anything more than EDGE until @ least late Q2, Q3 most likely. If your in the ABE area down to Philly, you're gold!
    12-12-09 07:00 PM
    i just switched a few days ago from att to tmobile, and where i live, in LA, i'm actually getting service in a lot of areas where i never did with att. i kept my bold 9000 which means i don't have 3G with tmo, but i always turned 3g off anyway as it does nothing for me except drain my battery. i'm in wifi nearly 90% of the time anyway so yeah. as for service. in LA about 40% of my calls dropped, it was an ongoing saga, since i've switched, altho it's only been about 5 days, i haven't dropped a call, i have probably used 300 minutes. my data is steady, all mms sms and bbm's go through great. the best part of the switch is me and my gf's bill together on TMO for all unlimited, meaning unlimited phone, data, and sms, is cheaper than one of our bills on att. adios att, i'm confused why i ever had you.
    12-12-09 08:30 PM
    i kno this is late, but i had to post (lol). I switched back in april. if at&t wasn't soooo expensive, I would definately go back. T Mobile is not a good carrier for blackberry and for overall drop calls. I don't know how service is in Philly, as you see I live in Atlanta, but for the last 7 months, I feel like I'm paying for a package and I'm not getting all of it's benefits. As for the calls, there are certain stores I can't go in and have a conversation.
    12-18-09 03:43 PM
    I live in Philly (NE) and often travel to center city/northern liberties and SP, and have great coverage everywhere. I have a BB 8900 and it's great. I use the UMA a lot and have no problems. Philly has some of the best Tmobile coverage I've seen.
    12-18-09 04:03 PM
    Switched in early November after having AT&T for several years. I am a power user and can give you the following feedback, at least for the Cleveland area:

PROS:
    -My T-Mobile 9700 barely ever drops a call. I believe this is due to its much better ability to revert to GPRS from 3G in the middle of a phone call. My AT&T 9000 would drop anytime the 3G coverage got a little sketchy--it rarely ever completed the handoff to GPRS or EDGE to keep the call going. Probably 10% of my calls on AT&T were dropped.
    -UMA means I have coverage anywhere there is a good WiFi connection. This means that in a majority of residential basements in my area, my phone, as compared to my friends' phones on other carriers, is the only one getting a signal (through UMA)
    -$85/mo for everything vs. $165/mo for everything on AT&T
    -Customer service people at T-Mobile actually sound happy to be at their jobs. AT&T customer service always left a lot to be desired.

CONS:
    -Slower 3G tethering speeds
    -3G coverage not as expansive*

*It should be noted that I called to complain about the lack of 3G at my home. They initiated a trouble ticket. Within a week, they called me to tell me that the next day I should expect to see substantially better 3G coverage in the area. I was stunned the next day when I got my first 3G signal at home and around my neighborhood. They really did go work on the issue as they had promised. As I said above, their customer service is great.
    12-20-09 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD