Allow voice and data to run simultaneously. For example, how atts iphone can be on a voice call and still use data to access internet while on call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 08:59 PM
    Yeah, at&t can do it, but Verizon can't.
    12-03-09 09:02 PM
    Not unless you have a wifi spot and a wifi device, then you can do it on VZW. This will change whern LTE comes out.
    12-03-09 09:06 PM
    Allow voice and data to run simultaneously. For example, how atts iphone can be on a voice call and still use data to access internet while on call.

Change of equipment from CDMA to LTE or WIFI and WIFI capable phone like said above.
    12-03-09 09:11 PM
    Not unless you have a wifi spot and a wifi device, then you can do it on VZW. This will change whern LTE comes out.
    Only on an LTE-capable phone and only in an LTE area.

It is a technology limitation. If it is that important to you, you will need to go to T-Mobile or AT&T with their GSM or HSPA networks. Sprint will soon offer it on their CDMA network & VZW might upgrade to it or they might not - they have not committed to it.

But the technological ability to do this on CDMA is a new release - it didn't exist a year ago & the standard was only released very recently.
    12-03-09 09:13 PM
    Sprint will soon offer it on their CDMA network & VZW might upgrade to it or they might not - they have not committed to it.
    According to VZW:

Verizon Wireless is leading the way in harnessing the power of LTE, at the onset of the LTE revolution. Verizon Wireless will be the first in the U.S. and among the first in the world to launch LTE, starting with 25 to 30 markets in 2010, covering approximately 100M people; and extending to cover our current 3G footprint in 2013. Verizon Wireless is ready for tomorrow�s data demands, are you?
    -www.verizonwireless.com

More info on the details: https://www.lte.vzw.com/AboutLTE/Ver...3/Default.aspx
    12-03-09 09:28 PM
    According to VZW:

-www.verizonwireless.com

More info on the details: https://www.lte.vzw.com/AboutLTE/Ver...3/Default.aspx
    I do not think Twins was refering to LTE, but the version CDMA that will allow voice and data at the same time.
    12-03-09 09:32 PM
    Is this new tech on CDMA going to be backwards compatible with existing devices?
    12-03-09 09:34 PM
    I do not think Twins was refering to LTE, but the version CDMA that will allow voice and data at the same time.
    Oh well in that case never mind.. With LTE rolling out pretty soon I seriously doubt VZW would commit to "SVDO" or 1x/EVDO advanced.. Roadmap below..

Last edited by tsguy52; 12-03-09 at 10:07 PM.
    12-03-09 10:03 PM
    Well without wifi.

So Verizon is not capable at this time?

12-03-09 10:09 PM
    Well without wifi.

So Verizon is not capable at this time?

Maybe because I don't make a lot of calls, is it really that important?
    12-03-09 10:12 PM
    it is to some users.

I'd love to check something online while on the phone without hanging up. When I'm away from a pc obviously or mac haha.

12-03-09 10:15 PM
    And I know att offers it but I will NEVER go to ATT!

12-03-09 10:17 PM
    I have a mobile credit card app, and it would be great if I could plug in the caller's info and process the card while they're still on the line. I can plug in the info, sure, but I can't process the card. I won't know if their card is valid until we end the call. If their card doesn't go through, I have to call them back and start the process all over again.

Fortunately, I'm usually using it in person and not over the phone. But even still...
    12-04-09 01:11 AM
    CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

According to Twins, this is a simple software update. I cant imagine Verizon would not upgrade the network especially since LTE wont fully be implemented for sometime now. With AT&T talking smack about this it would be smart for Verizon to just upgrade ASAP.
    Last edited by cenloe; 12-04-09 at 01:40 AM.
    12-04-09 01:36 AM
    Is this new tech on CDMA going to be backwards compatible with existing devices?
    It has to be SVDO compatible, so older devices wouldn't be able to implement this feature. Same way how Sprint and Verizon will respectfully release WiMax/LTE enabled devices in the future. SVDO + LTE/Wi-Max will be perfect combination in the long run, it's just a matter of extra work. Network Infrastructure changes, and this will be available by the end of next year.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 12-04-09 at 06:45 AM.
    12-04-09 06:38 AM
    Makes sense. Does "older devices" mean pretty much anything that's currently being made...ie they'll be older by the time it's implemented? Or are there some SVDO devices already on the market?
    12-04-09 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD