Hello folks. I've had my Tour since it's release; I initially purchased one and the trackball on that was crap; I then got a second replacement...that one was crap. The third one (which I have now); has been flawless from the moment I got it.

However now the trackball is screwing up on me. When I scroll right; the cursor moves left. It scrolls fine up and down and to the left; but the action of scrolling to the right is unresponsive...VERY IRRITATING (especially when viewing pdf/excel/the web.

What can I do without having to pay out of pocket? A device such as this should not go bad, so soon.
    12-03-09 11:54 AM
    Do you have TEP? If so then they should take care of you in the store.
    12-03-09 01:26 PM
    Do you have TEP? If so then they should take care of you in the store.
    Thanks for the reply.

No I don't have insurance on the phone..can I not still get a replacement unit under the 1-year manufacturer's warranty though?
    12-03-09 02:58 PM
    I would take it to sprint, and have the tech's look at it, and see what they tell you, because you still are covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
    12-03-09 03:10 PM
    if you purchased your phone brand new, you get a 1 year warranty. if you get a refurbished phone in replacement, you get a 6 month warranty from the date you get each of those phones...
    12-03-09 04:04 PM
    You're going to be taking it back in again eventually even if you get it fixed...
    12-03-09 04:53 PM
    You're going to be taking it back in again eventually even if you get it fixed...
    I thought about that very real possibility.

I'm not one to blindly get a phone simply because of it's hype (or whatever following it has)...with a BB being no different. I do like the Tour; but this trackball issue is a huge problem.

So let's say hypothetically I don't want to get another Tour; do you think Sprint will exchange it for a Hero for example?
    12-03-09 11:51 PM
    I'm on my 2nd Tour... My trackball is acting up now also... Try throwing a 8330 trackball in there.

Thats what I plan to do. I'm just waiting for my new housing to come in so I can do everything at the same time.
    12-04-09 12:41 AM
    So let's say hypothetically I don't want to get another Tour; do you think Sprint will exchange it for a Hero for example?
    Probably not right away, unless you are in your 30 day window (even then you have to pay a $35 restocking fee). Usually takes multiple returns to swap it out for a different phone.
    12-04-09 01:42 AM
    Have you even went to sprint yet and had them look at it? They ordered me a new one on the spot. (I was way beyond 30 days). I guess if that's getting you no where call blackberry. They sent my daughter a phone directly. (or caused same to happen)
    12-05-09 05:40 PM
    I thought about that very real possibility.

I'm not one to blindly get a phone simply because of it's hype (or whatever following it has)...with a BB being no different. I do like the Tour; but this trackball issue is a huge problem.

Yes you can. There have been many Tour to Hero swaps. Sprint's getting better about it because they're tired of losing money swapping out Tours over and over.
    12-05-09 08:58 PM
    Have you even went to sprint yet and had them look at it? They ordered me a new one on the spot. (I was way beyond 30 days). I guess if that's getting you no where call blackberry. They sent my daughter a phone directly. (or caused same to happen)
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Unless it's for the purpose of playing with any phone(s) I'm interested in...I don't like going into Sprint stores; it wastes more of my time than handling issues over the phone does. CS reps on the phone have always been able to do more for me than any Sprint store rep I've encountered has (perhaps my bad; or good luck...depending on how it's seen ).

My issue has been resolved. I called into Sprint; they are shipping out a new Tour that's set to arrive on Moday. The trackball problem very well may creep up again within the 1-year manufacturer's warranty window...and if it does w/ this replacement; that is when I'll OFFICIALLY say I'm done with a trackball-driven BB.
    12-06-09 02:11 AM
    Unless it's for the purpose of playing with any phone(s) I'm interested in...I don't like going into Sprint stores; it wastes more of my time than handling issues over the phone does. CS reps on the phone have always been able to do more for me than any Sprint store rep I've encountered has
    Same goes for Verizon in my limited experience. In-store wait is longer, staff are unhelpful, and phone CS people are much more aware of company policies.

The phone people DO have one big advantage: they're sitting at a computer.
    12-06-09 02:43 AM
    I'm on my third as well. I got my first Tour about a month after release. First two both for trackball, and don't like this one due to a wobbly battery cover, but that's fixed with a case. I am always cleaning the trackball, sometimes using rubbing alcohol. Or rubbing in circles on a piece of paper, as odd as that may sound. It doesn't seem to last very long.

Does it occasionally feel like it's rubbing over a piece of leather or something? Seems it should feel like a very fine, gritty sort of roll.

Maybe I can luck out and the ball will fail sometime after the Essex release. I do love my Tour, but loathe this danged trackball!

Best of luck to ya!
    12-06-09 04:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD