Ok, So I just switched from the curve 8330 to the 9530 storm, what would be the advantages to "unlocking" my phone? I'm not going to be switching carriers anywhere in the near future, so that is out. If someone would pls explain this to me, it would be very helpful. Ty.
    01-09-10 02:14 PM
    If you're going to use Verizon, there aren't any. It just allows you to use a SIM card for another GSM carrier.
    01-09-10 03:19 PM
    Do you travel internationally at all. If you do, and want to use your Blackberry, then unlocking would make sense. If you don't travel out of the US and are happy with Verizon then there is no point in unlocking your phone.
    01-09-10 03:25 PM
    Well, there is another additional benefit. It increases the value of the phone if you want to sell it later. If you're a VZW customer you can get the code for free if your account is in good standing. That saves a future buyer a few bucks and the hassle if they do want to use it on another carrier.
    01-09-10 03:50 PM
    Higher value, you can use it with any carrier, take it overseas and drop in a prepaid simcard.
    01-11-10 12:21 PM
    Ok, So I just switched from the curve 8330 to the 9530 storm, what would be the advantages to "unlocking" my phone? I'm not going to be switching carriers anywhere in the near future, so that is out. If someone would pls explain this to me, it would be very helpful. Ty.
    Unlocking a device just allows you to use it with any gsm carrier supported.
    01-12-10 04:23 PM
    If you travel, you will have the flexibility to use a local prepaid SIM card and not pay roaming charges. Also adds value to the phone if you decide to resell it.
    01-12-10 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD