Nice job on sticking it to your customers that much harder by DOUBLING your ETF!! It was $175 and now it has DOUBLED to $350 for people who purchase an "advanced device" aka...smartphones!

I would've thought after the Sprint class-action lawsuit, these wireless providers would learn. FCC will be investigating I'm sure....
    02-04-10 05:00 PM
    November 7th 2009 called; it wants its breaking news back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 05:10 PM
    FCC is looking into ETFs in all Major US Cellular companies.
    02-04-10 05:13 PM
    It's in the news again today...felt like leaving a comment about it just in case "anybody else" beside YOU didn't know it was.

Thanks for pointing out the exact date though, why don't you go and get me the exact time now?
    02-04-10 05:20 PM
    All you got to do to get around that is buy an old junk phone off ebay or craigslist activate it and then drop your plan at $175
    02-04-10 05:35 PM
    All you got to do to get around that is buy an old junk phone off ebay or craigslist activate it and then drop your plan at $175
    Yay loop holes.
    02-04-10 05:44 PM
    Nice job on sticking it to your customers that much harder by DOUBLING your ETF!! It was $175 and now it has DOUBLED to $350 for people who purchase an "advanced device" aka...smartphones!

I would've thought after the Sprint class-action lawsuit, these wireless providers would learn. FCC will be investigating I'm sure....
    So how is VZW sticking it to "customers" when these people are terminating their end of the contract? Oh wait don't answer that - that's been covered in the many threads created on this topic. Please use search button and "bump" the topic next time.
    02-04-10 05:53 PM
    Your ETF is set by the device you purchased initially. It does not fluctuate based on what you have active on the account. If you know policy stating otherwise, please post it.
    02-04-10 05:57 PM
    Shouldn't be an issue to 99% of their customers.

02-04-10 05:57 PM
    FCC is looking into ETFs in all Major US Cellular companies.
    Yeah the FCC looked into it how long ago? What has been done exactly? Don't agree to pay an ETF if you're going to use postpaid service.
    02-04-10 05:58 PM
    Yeah the FCC looked into it how long ago? What has been done exactly? Don't agree to pay an ETF if you're going to use postpaid service.
    The FCC sent letters out last month. The replies were either due the end of last month, or the end of this one. They, FCC, wants to know why they are being charged and if the customers know before the contract is signed about the ETFs. Also, they are deciding if it is legal for companies to have these fees for customers that want to switch phone companies.

Source: Phone Scoop
    02-04-10 06:07 PM
    It's in the news again today...felt like leaving a comment about it just in case "anybody else" beside YOU didn't know it was.

Thanks for pointing out the exact date though, why don't you go and get me the exact time now?
    Actually I guessed the date. I don't really care that much about beat to death discussions. Verizon = Big bad evil corporation who sits around all day figuring out new ways to stick it to its customer base.

Meanwhile its customers quite literally sit around all day here figuring out ways to stick it to" Big Red". "hai guize how do i get vzw to give me a droid I'm bored with my storm after 8 months please tell me how to multifru lol"

Double standards. Gotta love 'em!

02-04-10 06:24 PM
    The FCC sent letters out last month. The replies were either due the end of last month, or the end of this one. They, FCC, wants to know why they are being charged and if the customers know before the contract is signed about the ETFs. Also, they are deciding if it is legal for companies to have these fees for customers that want to switch phone companies.

Umm... Try December 4, 2009 when the letters were sent out. VZW responded on December 18, 2009 - a few days before the extended deadline. The FCC responded back on December 23, 2009 stating the letter VZW had sent was "unsatisfying and, in some cases, troubling". Since then there hasn't been much coming out of the FCC to amount to anything spectacular. http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/docume...?id=7020353621
    02-04-10 06:24 PM
    Also, they are deciding if it is legal for companies to have these fees for customers that want to switch phone companies
    Too late, the FCC has already looked into that. From the VZW response:

The Commission held in 2003 that �carriers may include provisions in their customer contracts on issues such as early termination and credit worthiness.�4 In that order, the Commission disallowed wireless carriers from restricting the number porting process, but also stated, �We do not sanction or encourage consumers to breach their contractual obligations. Nor do we prevent carriers from collecting any outstanding fees or charges from consumers pursuant to traditional contractual remedies.�5 That same year, in upholding the lawfulness of an ETF, the Commission noted "the history of Commission approval of early service termination provisions similar to the one at issue here, and the reasonable goals that they generally serve."6 It also stated, "The Commission has acknowledged that, because carriers must make investments and other commitments associated with a particular customer's expected level of service for an expected period of time, carriers will incur costs if those expectations are not met, and carriers must be allowed a reasonable means to recover such costs. In other words, the Commission has allowed carriers to use early service termination provisions to allocate the risk of investments associated with long term service arrangements with their customers."7
    02-04-10 06:30 PM
    02-04-10 06:40 PM
    If the FCC wants to get rid of ETF's then get ready for retail device prices.
    02-04-10 07:00 PM

Cool, I think all carriers should drop ETF's and contracts. Then when you want new BB device you can 599 bucks at reatil. No skin off my back.
    02-04-10 07:01 PM
    Cool, I think all carriers should drop ETF's and contracts. Then when you want new BB device you can 599 bucks at reatil. No skin off my back.
    There is no ETF there though, that is an early upgrade.

If the FCC wants to get rid of ETF's then get ready for retail device prices.
    Oh yeah, there is going to be some other consequence.
    02-04-10 07:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Jell-oMan;4618712]There is no ETF there though, that is an early upgrade.

Early upgrade? There is always a contract extension, even for early upgrade.

But getting rid of ETF's and contracts would allow to get a device anytime one comes out. Would also prohibit folks from buying new phones as often as they do, as it would be cost prohibitive.

Cool a new business. Finance your Blackberry @ 5% interest APR, based credit history. Will finance the device for two years. Could there be money made at this?
    02-04-10 07:36 PM
    Early upgrade? There is always a contract extension, even for early upgrade.

But getting rid of ETF's and contracts would allow to get a device anytime one comes out. Would also prohibit folks from buying new phones as often as they do, as it would be cost prohibitive.

Cool a new business. Finance your Blackberry @ 5% interest APR, based credit history. Will finance the device for two years. Could there be money made at this?
    ETF is Early Termination Fee, which I am sure you know. This fee is for contract breaking, not contract extending, at least not for AT&T.
    02-04-10 07:43 PM
    ETF is Early Termination Fee, which I am sure you know. This fee is for contract breaking, not contract extending, at least not for AT&T.
    Yes I am aware of this. If there is no contract to renew or sign up for, then you do not need ETF's period. ETF's are used for a couple things, discourage you breaking a contract and offset the cost of a device the carrier helps you get into by giving you a reduced price.

Hence if there is no ETF or contracts, then you get to pay retail or a price set by the carrier for the device and can leave anytime you like.
    02-04-10 07:51 PM
    Yes I am aware of this. If there is no contract to renew or sign up for, then you do not need ETF's period. ETF's are used for a couple things, discourage you breaking a contract and offset the cost of a device the carrier helps you get into by giving you a reduced price.

Hence if there is no ETF or contracts, then you get to pay retail or a price set by the carrier for the device and can leave anytime you like.
    True. xD Doesn't sound like a fun idea though because phone's aren't cheap. People just think they are because of all the discounts you are getting. Oh well. I research before I buy anyways. I am quite happy with my service.

We'll see what happens.
    02-04-10 07:54 PM
    True. xD Doesn't sound like a fun idea though because phone's aren't cheap. People just think they are because of all the discounts you are getting. Oh well. I research before I buy anyways. I am quite happy with my service.

We'll see what happens.
    Agreed. The $350 sould not matter, unless you are going into a contract with the thought of leaving, then do not sign up. Yes there are circumstances beyond ones control that will dictate breaking a contract. Also the ETF's do decrase each month into a contract as well.
    02-04-10 08:06 PM

crocoPuffs: Arnold Schwarzenegger Soundboard

Hit the "Stop Whining!" button.
    02-04-10 10:13 PM
    november 7th 2009 called; it wants its breaking news back.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    roflmao!!!!
    02-04-10 10:20 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD