Is it possible to do a warranty exchange on a phone over the phone, or do you have to go into a store?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 05:46 PM
    I'm not with Verizon but you should be able to do over the phone. I always have with AT&T.
    04-22-08 06:03 PM
    yeah you can call and get the warranty exchange. but they sometime make you come in the store do make sure your not lying about anything but if you argue enough you can make them just send it to your house and you send the old one to them by mail.
    04-22-08 06:47 PM
    they will send you a new phone, i just did it recently. but the only thing is that if you send back a physically damaged phone, or the water indicators are showing water damage, and you didnt state that, or you dont return the phone they will charge you the full retail price of the unit to your account!
    04-22-08 07:26 PM
    they will send you a new phone, i just did it recently. but the only thing is that if you send back a physically damaged phone, or the water indicators are showing water damage, and you didnt state that, or you dont return the phone they will charge you the full retail price of the unit to your account!
    I work there and do this stuff all the time and that is absolutely correct. Just call 866-802-0308 from an alternate line. They'll probably want to troubleshoot the problem. Good luck
    04-22-08 07:43 PM
    I have been having trouble with my trackball. Everynow and then throughout the day, it selects stff on its own. I just can't go to the store and say there is something wrong. Because it might not do anything. So, I thought if I could exchange it over the phone, I would have a shot.

04-22-08 08:26 PM
    I have been having trouble with my trackball. Everynow and then throughout the day, it selects stff on its own. I just can't go to the store and say there is something wrong. Because it might not do anything. So, I thought if I could exchange it over the phone, I would have a shot.

yeah they most likely will exchange it for you, are you 100% that both of your water indicators dont show water damage? Id hate to see you get charged for the retail of the phone.

But i would def call them up and explain to them the problem, and that its intermittant but getting worse, and they should replace it for you. Usually takes about 2 days to get the new one!
    04-22-08 08:30 PM
    It would be so much easier, if I could get everything in the mail, that way I wouldn't have to make my parents truck me out there and then not come back with anything. The only physical damage would be lots of scratches, nothing falling apart. Do any of you know if they check it for the problem when they get it?

04-22-08 08:31 PM
    no, usually they check for damage, like the water indicator, and screen and such, and then prob just send it off to RIM to be refurbed. Cant speak to that 100% because i dont work for them, but if you explain its intermittant they arent goin to waste all the time to find the problem, esp with how many phones they replace a day.
    04-22-08 08:33 PM
    I can't tell if I have posted this already, but the indicator on the battery has a red stripe through the middle. There is a white square near the SIM card slot, that is totally white. This is an Asurion phone by the way.

04-22-08 09:11 PM
    Does anyone kbow if it matters if the phone is a replacement from Asrion? Is it still under the warranty? The problem is really bad!

04-23-08 04:15 PM
    Does anybody know?? I want to call tonight. Do they exchange Asurion replacements?

04-23-08 04:46 PM
    is it a Verizon branded phone?

What is the major problem?
    04-23-08 05:02 PM
    is it a Verizon branded phone?

What is the major problem?
    i believe his problem is with the trackball on the phone if i am not mistaken.

and i cant help but to notice, you have a 8330 on verizon? or you are just waiting to get one!?
    04-23-08 05:04 PM
    It is the silver phone, but there is no Verizon sticker. They have it registered.

04-23-08 05:19 PM
    Emailed Verizon Customer Service. Warranty is still valid even though it being an Asurion phone. They told me to do a battery pull which I tried multiple times, they told me to wipe it as well. Still doesn't work. I have to talk to my parents, and will call tomorrow. I jst hope they don't charge me when they get it, due to it being an intermittent problem!

04-25-08 09:21 PM
    I tried to do an warranty exchange today, I drove 40 mi to a store bc the one in my town is closed for the snow day and they tell me they don't do in store exchanges. What?! I called down here and drove all the way for you to do something I could have done on the phone at my house?! UGH! And the phone won't be here til Tuesday sometime. I called VZW when I got home to see if they had a tracking number for me and she was surprised they didn't just exchange the phone in the store. She looked up my area and all the stores in a 50 mi radius of me don't do instore exchanges. Wow. She gave me 150 extra mins for 2 months. I appreciated it but I don't even use all the mins I have now
    02-12-10 01:19 PM
    I tried to do an warranty exchange today, I drove 40 mi to a store bc the one in my town is closed for the snow day and they tell me they don't do in store exchanges. What?! I called down here and drove all the way for you to do something I could have done on the phone at my house?! UGH! And the phone won't be here til Tuesday sometime. I called VZW when I got home to see if they had a tracking number for me and she was surprised they didn't just exchange the phone in the store. She looked up my area and all the stores in a 50 mi radius of me don't do instore exchanges. Wow. She gave me 150 extra mins for 2 months. I appreciated it but I don't even use all the mins I have now
    It is not common for in-store exchanges of any Smartphone. If there are stores that exchange Smartphones, it's a rare occurance.
    02-12-10 09:03 PM
    We stopped doing in store warranty swaps in my whole region. Everything gets shipped now. Kinda inconvenient but it makes things so much easier.

02-13-10 08:28 AM
    I guess that's the case here in my region too. Inconvenient yes but it prevents people from just trying to get a new phone. Well it makes it a little more difficult to anyways.
    02-15-10 08:24 PM
    Isn't this all a "test market". It seriously is an inconvenience

02-17-10 09:57 PM
    Holy year old thread batman.
    02-18-10 01:34 PM
    Holy year old thread batman.
    2 months shy of being a 2 year old thread....lol
    02-18-10 01:40 PM
    Went in to the VZW store today because of the typical tour trackball issues (defective in a bad way).
    He made one swipe on the trackball laid it down and put the info in the computer to mail me a FRU.
    Anybody know how long it will take to get to me??, he put it in the comp. at 12:30 on a Thurs.
    So my area does not do in store exchange either.
    But man, That was easy!! in and out the store quick with no hassle and the phone is on it's way.

Hurry up Nexus 1 !! Maybe their build quality is better than BB
    02-18-10 06:16 PM
    Went in to the VZW store today because of the typical tour trackball issues (defective in a bad way).
    He made one swipe on the trackball laid it down and put the info in the computer to mail me a FRU.
    Anybody know how long it will take to get to me??, he put it in the comp. at 12:30 on a Thurs.
    So my area does not do in store exchange either.
    But man, That was easy!! in and out the store quick with no hassle and the phone is on it's way.

Hurry up Nexus 1 !! Maybe their build quality is better than BB
    Standard Free shipping is 2 business days.
    02-18-10 06:32 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD