the MediaNet plan is $15 less, and I can actually use the savings.

so, question... What will my Curve NOT be able to do???

(and yes, u can get the MediaNET on ur plan if they dont know ur using a Blackberry ).

Just wanna see what I'm gonna be limited to. Thanks!
    11-06-08 11:11 PM
    Everything that uses BB's data services. (push email, bbm and others.)
    11-06-08 11:48 PM
    You also run the risk of getting usage charges up the ***. AT&T is now doing IMEI sweeps. The IMEi does not have to be on your account either. You are then put on a PPU plan until you update to the correct one.
    11-06-08 11:49 PM
    You also run the risk of getting usage charges up the ***. AT&T is now doing IMEI sweeps. The IMEi does not have to be on your account either. You are then put on a PPU plan until you update to the correct one.
    can u put this in Layman's Terms, please? lol i dont understand what u said.

I know what an IMEI is...

but, what is a PPU plan?
    11-06-08 11:56 PM
    Pay per use. Meaning $0.01/kb rather than the unlimited medianet. It tracks the IMEI and when it verifies that you are on a device that shouldn't be on this plan, this could be the result.
    11-06-08 11:58 PM
    Btw... I am a manager for Business Customer Services and have taken numerous escalations in regards to this. Being a blog/forum guy, I take no pity and give no credits.
    11-06-08 11:59 PM
    Is all this done without notice to the customer? I know of several people that have MEdia Net on there BB confirmed and set up by AT&T reps at AT&T locations. Seems kinda shaddy if AT&T people approve media net usage and then "sweep" through peoples phones only to change it back to the "correct" plan, possibly without notice. Just wondering.
    11-07-08 12:10 AM
    Is all this done without notice to the customer? I know of several people that have MEdia Net on there BB confirmed and set up by AT&T reps at AT&T locations. Seems kinda shaddy if AT&T people approve media net usage and then "sweep" through peoples phones only to change it back to the "correct" plan, possibly without notice. Just wondering.
    Technically you shouldn't have the plan in the first place and you do get information advising you that you are indeed on the wrong plan and advised to change it to a correctly provisioned plan, most people just ignore that information though so they can complain and say they never got that message and in turn seeks credits for something they were fully aware of.

While it is true some AT&T reps will place it on the account, this is why the system is in place to advise those it is the incorrect plan and thus why the messages are sent as well, but once again..people fail to read..fail to care about the information relayed to them, much like how they never typically read service agreements either.
    11-07-08 12:21 AM
    they would HAVE to notify you. you are being charged when you didn't agree to it. that's illegal.

ill see how far i get with it then. nothing to lose
    11-07-08 12:25 AM
    Btw... I am a manager for Business Customer Services and have taken numerous escalations in regards to this. Being a blog/forum guy, I take no pity and give no credits.
    u said bbm and blackberry email wont work... but i would still be able to use the internet and AIM and such, correct?
    11-07-08 12:27 AM
    Technically you shouldn't have the plan in the first place and you do get information advising you that you are indeed on the wrong plan and advised to change it to a correctly provisioned plan, most people just ignore that information though so they can complain and say they never got that message and in turn seeks credits for something they were fully aware of.

While it is true some AT&T reps will place it on the account, this is why the system is in place to advise those it is the incorrect plan and thus why the messages are sent as well, but once again..people fail to read..fail to care about the information relayed to them, much like how they never typically read service agreements either.
    Totally understand, and i do agree most people dont read the fine print or ignore warnings and what have you. However, the bold line above is what confuses me. Why do "some" reps do it and others dont. If this system is in place to stop "wrong plans" on certain phones, why does it still happen on AT&T's side? Seems like they are just setting up the customers for future trouble. (assuming those customers just honestly didnt know it was the wrong plan.)

Sorry I kinda hijacked this thread, I honestly didnt mean to. lol.
    11-07-08 12:36 AM
    Totally understand, and i do agree most people dont read the fine print or ignore warnings and what have you. However, the bold line above is what confuses me. Why do "some" reps do it and others dont. If this system is in place to stop "wrong plans" on certain phones, why does it still happen on AT&T's side? Seems like they are just setting up the customers for future trouble. (assuming those customers just honestly didnt know it was the wrong plan.)

Sorry I kinda hijacked this thread, I honestly didnt mean to. lol.
    When you get set up at the store, it states everything in the contract you sign. Whether the rep adds it, it is your/whoever's responsibility to read through the terms and conditions.

A car salesman tells you he can give you the best deal on a car, don't you still try to confirm this is the truth?
    11-07-08 01:01 AM
    So will medianet not work on blackberrys?
    11-07-08 12:29 PM
    Medianet works along side with Blackberry.net. And you (and I) pay for it. I look at it this way. A short time back the Medianet network went down but I was still getting emails because of the push email via Blackberry.net. So in a way you have access to two networks because some applications seems to work on Blackberry.net too.
    11-07-08 03:31 PM
    Medianet works along side with Blackberry.net. And you (and I) pay for it. I look at it this way. A short time back the Medianet network went down but I was still getting emails because of the push email via Blackberry.net. So in a way you have access to two networks because some applications seems to work on Blackberry.net too.
    ...what??????????????

so will BBM work on MediaNET?
    11-07-08 03:46 PM
    When you get set up at the store, it states everything in the contract you sign. Whether the rep adds it, it is your/whoever's responsibility to read through the terms and conditions.

A car salesman tells you he can give you the best deal on a car, don't you still try to confirm this is the truth?
    So essentially, you're telling me that the customer has to go through and make sure that the AT&T rep didnt make a "mistake" other wise they pay in the end. AT&T reps should know not to add it or not, so obviously they're not supposed to in the first place. I understand that the customer is supposed to read the contract, but my point is if AT&T reps add MEdia Net knowing that they are not supposed to then all the blame cant be put on the customer. If media net gets added for cheaper, most customers arent going to say "Hmm, I think I should be paying more". Sounds like a AT&T training issue to me. You pickin up what Im puttin down? lol
    Last edited by vinwinjsu5; 11-07-08 at 03:59 PM.
    11-07-08 03:55 PM
    ...what??????????????

so will BBM work on MediaNET?
    My understanding is RIM Blackberry applications work on Blackberry.net which is BIS-HTTP. But third party software like I see my Xplayer has setting for BIS-Transport as well as BES and directTCP. SO that tells me there are dual networks on the phone even though you can only use them if the software has selection for it I think default always (WAP) except for BB apps. Another example is my RDM+ software as simuliar network settings. What would really compliment all this if Blackberry.net had BIS-TCP enabled too so that it would be side by side with DirectTCP (WAP) but they probably can't do this.
    11-07-08 04:22 PM
    My understanding is RIM Blackberry applications work on Blackberry.net which is BIS-HTTP. But third party software like I see my Xplayer has setting for BIS-Transport as well as BES and directTCP. SO that tells me there are dual networks on the phone even though you can only use them if the software has selection for it I think default always (WAP) except for BB apps. Another example is my RDM+ software as simuliar network settings. What would really compliment all this if Blackberry.net had BIS-TCP enabled too so that it would be side by side with DirectTCP (WAP) but they probably can't do this.
    im so technology-term illiterate and i didnt understand what u said. sorry LOL
    11-07-08 04:39 PM
    MediaNET is awful.

Avoid at all cost!
    11-07-08 04:49 PM
    im so technology-term illiterate and i didnt understand what u said. sorry LOL
    I was going to post this link Media Library but you might get even more lost.
    Basically, by paying for Blackberry Personal ($30), I think you get two network connections going on as long as the cell towers are working.
    I was just saying from my first post that here in PA a while back regular internet was not working but I was still getting my emails because BIS was working. I could send and get email at that time. IF you only have Medianet and internet goes down your SOL.
    11-07-08 04:57 PM
    I love you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/med...80/#post894129

Originally Posted by ThisizWils View Post
    thats what i was thinking too coz before my friend gave me his bb curve my plan was a media net bundle so i put my sim card onto the curve and its works fine for me i mean for now. So the question to all you AT&T USERS, EMPLOYEES , ETC ETC . IF YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY IS THE BLACKBERRY PLAN THE ONLY PLAN THAT WOULD WORK WITH THE PHONE COZ I KEEP HEARING PEOPLE SAY YOU NEED TO GET THE BB PLAN BUT I SEE PEOPLE WITH BLACKBERRY PHONE'S AND THEY DONT HAVE THE BB PLAN AT ALL THEY JUST HAVE THE MEDIA MAX UNLIMITED FOR $30 AND THATS WHAY CHEAPER THAN THE BB PLAN FOR $50 WITH UNLIMITED DATE& TEXT
    Employees of AT&T are not allowed to tell you "loopholes," and in all technicality, we can tell you have to be on a BlackBerry plan if you're on a MediaNet plan.
    It is set, in the billing system that provisions everything, to make you have the blackberry data plan, with the phone's IMEI. In short, if you have the phone placed on your account, you're not going to be able to get Media Net applied. The BB data plan offers the full potential of the phone and if you just have the MediaNet, you'll not get that. It'll be half-assed.

If you have the MediaNet, with a BB, on your plan, grats! Just hope you don't have to make any changes to your account or it will force the rep. to cancel the changes, remove the data plan completely or have you apply the BB data plan.
    Also, if what Jayden said, I guess even if you do get another IMEI on there, AT&T will eventually catch up to you. This reminds me, when they took detailed billing off and people didn't know. When it was on several bills prior being removed.
    Last edited by Inifekt; 11-07-08 at 09:55 PM.
    11-07-08 09:50 PM
    Read my posts on the other thread of yhe same name...

Push email, directly downloaded IM apps from blackberry.com, the push feature for the facebook app, and telenav are the only things that do not work with media net. Don't know about bbm. And the bb browser doesn't show, but the media net one is fine. As I said before, there are ALWAYS ways around those drawbacks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 05:51 AM
    Its stupid that reps tell people they HAVE to have the BB plan, its an outright lie. They should recommend it but not force it, that makes them look bad.

11-08-08 05:53 AM
    Its stupid that reps tell people they HAVE to have the BB plan, its an outright lie. They should recommend it but not force it, that makes them look bad.

do u know if there's any possible way to get BBM on it? that would be sweet
    11-08-08 12:57 PM
    Texter, there is an old saying: "If you don't know what you are doing, deal with people who do." In this thread, Jaden0606 is that person. Bla1ze and ninja please are others.

The Blackberry uses it own, highly secure data network to deliver emails and give you internet access. All BlackBerrys use this as their prime method of data access.

You use another method at your peril. It may save you a measly $5 a month but I do not think that it will work to either you satisfaction or the tohe BlackBerrys full capabilities.

I have put this in as non-technical terms as possible as it is really a management issue.
    11-08-08 01:45 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD