I see that I can get a Bold 9700 for free with 2 yr contract from AT&T. But I feel that Sprint has deals which better suit my (currently unemployed) bank account. They do NOT, however, offer the 9700.

AT&T charges $175 to cancel a contract. SOOooo ...
    1st - Is it worth it to get the phone from ATT, cancel for $175 and unlock the phone (if possible???) and go to sprint?

2nd - Is it even possible to transfer a device. I have learned how one can unlock a 9700 (GSM/SIM card), but I think ATT and Sprint are CDMA? Can you 'unlock' a CDMA phone or is it just a transfer of service? I'm currently month to month with Sprint, not locked in, so I'm wondering if I can get a deal from them (or wait for the curve2? I really like the 9700).

I'm a total newb, but need to get my game face on. I have an interview soon with a company for executive level support at Disney, and the only thing that's holding me back is BB/iphone/pda support. I have some exposure, but am up to my ears in tech notes on your site. I LOVE the community and feel welcome in asking my quetion(s).

Sorry this is so long, and sorry I'm not yet up to speed on the technical side.

I will be

Thanks in advance to all you crack-heads
    Last edited by shawnubis; 12-08-09 at 02:35 PM.
    12-08-09 02:13 PM
    ATT is GSM and Sprint is CDMA. The 9700 will NOT work on Sprint Network.
    That is it.

Sorry to destroy your dream
    Last edited by Briard; 12-08-09 at 02:44 PM.
    12-08-09 02:42 PM
    Even if they were compatible sprint will under no circumstances activate a phone that is not sprint branded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 03:21 PM
    Man, tough decision. I keep seeing the flak about the Tour, so I'm sort of against gatting one. I don't see much of a choice if I want to stick with Sprint. I don't love Sprint, but their plans seem to include more for less. Just don't like their phones
    12-08-09 03:24 PM
    I don't understand what the big deal with att devices. Sprint has 2 great android devices, the Pre and Pixi the curve 2 being launched soon and many entry level devices. Many options for air cards and 4g services. The sprint network is faster and more reliable. What devices on ATT or verizon are so much better? Each carrier has exclusive devices.
    Man, tough decision. I keep seeing the flak about the Tour, so I'm sort of against gatting one. I don't see much of a choice if I want to stick with Sprint. I don't love Sprint, but their plans seem to include more for less. Just don't like their phones
    12-08-09 06:29 PM
    9700, 85xx released faster than Sprint, 89xx, 9000 back when Sprint only had the 83xx, iPhone, HTC Pure, Nokia e71x, and lets not forget any unlocked GSM phone you want...

I doubt most people purchasing a wireless phone care about aircards...

Verizon also has a pretty good list that Sprint never bothers to match. I never really hear people saying they're switching to Sprint because of device selection, more like plan prices. But I do see plenty of people leaving due to device selection...
    Last edited by papped; 12-08-09 at 07:33 PM.
    12-08-09 07:26 PM
    I don't understand what the big deal with att devices. Sprint has 2 great android devices, the Pre and Pixi the curve 2 being launched soon and many entry level devices. Many options for air cards and 4g services. The sprint network is faster and more reliable. What devices on ATT or verizon are so much better? Each carrier has exclusive devices.

Some people want to drive a Ferrarri and some folks want an M5, while yet still others just want the 5 series. Maybe you drive truck or a Yaris. What's to understand? It's called a personal preference.

I wasn't out to make a point, but rather ask for some personal experiences of others. I agree that each carrier seems to have some exclussivity with certain devices. It just seems that the latest and greatest are offered by ATT at the moment; most notably, the 9700, which has some pretty great reviews (and is offered for free at the moment with a 2yr contract of course).

Everything sprint offers that I would even consider (based on what I've read here so far) is $149 after rebate, with a 2yr contract. But the month to month can be less than ATT ($89, which is just 20 more than I'm paying now without a data plan or smart phone). I hear the Curve 2 (8530) might be out around the 18th, so maybe I'll just stick with that.

Thanks to all for the edumacation. Cheers.
    12-09-09 01:51 AM
    The hardware defects with the Tour have been fixed. Still some bugs in the OS, but that should improve over time. It's a safe purchase now.
    12-09-09 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD