Im sure there is a post of this already, but I'd like to bring it up again.

I'm a current satisfied At&t customer, thinking about switching to VZW. I have a family plan, with 2 phones, using about 1400 minutes a month. (Actually we use like 900 so I wish there was a plan inbetween 700 and 1400) Anyways I know the obvious differences like CDMA vs GSM coverage and data speeds (to me it seems pretty insignificant with the data speeds) The main problem that I have with AT&T is there is no coverage in some rural areas that we visit alot, and VZW does cover. The thing I like about AT&T is fact that they get new phones sooner, with my experience they have good customer service, and the fact that if I want a new phone, I can just buy a new one over ebay and slip in my sim card (but I believe I can do something similar with verizon) I've been a loyal customer of At&t for 6 years, however this doesn't seem to matter.

I just want service in this area! Any suggestions? I'm going to post this in the VZW carrier discussion as well.
    05-31-08 01:55 PM
    With ATT If you get a GPS phone you can pay a one time fee with some apps out there, but vzw you have to pay the $10 a month
    05-31-08 01:57 PM
    Yes with At&t, GPS is free. You are also correct as At&t does get the BB's and phones sooner(Very Important to me). Then again, if Verizon gets a better signal in a area which is important to you, then you have to figure out waht most important.

The SIM card with At&t is so great to have and easy to use. I love that feature especially when I had 2 BB's. You can switch between devices with Verizon but its not too convienent.

You really have to figure out whats most important for you.
    05-31-08 02:03 PM
    The answer definitely lies within what's more important to you.

Verizon, you would need to call them up to get your phone to be activated and work on their network. (They may have an online process, but I haven't been with them in so long, I'm unsure.)

Data Speeds... With recent tests done, at&t's 3g network was considerably faster.

Newer Devices first (at least the more important ones)... The main reason is due to at&t being GSM and most manufacturers already make the phones that come out for at&t on other carriers in europe. All the need to do is add the necessary frequencies if need be and then test it out. CDMA is not widely used and hence why Sprint/Verizon have a lot of exclusive phones (Fusic, Chocolate & others.)

Service though... is definitely important at least to me. If I didn't get it where I needed it, I wouldn't be with at&t as my service provider, even though I work for them.

Bottom line... what's do you care about most and even if it's coverage, how much does it effect you?

Other things to consider... how many of your friends/family are with at&t or Verizon... you may lose or gain mobile 2 mobile contacts.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 06-04-08 at 09:18 PM.
    05-31-08 03:56 PM
    stay with att, verizon is and always will be a horror story. they could care less about you and will never cut u a break, i.e bill and service. i've been with cingular/att now for 7 years and cingular has cut me breaks countless times, a $200.00 break to be percise.
    05-31-08 07:42 PM
    stay with att, verizon is and always will be a horror story. they could care less about you and will never cut u a break, i.e bill and service. i've been with cingular/att now for 7 years and cingular has cut me breaks countless times, a $200.00 break to be percise.
    I agree, att has come through with me countless times about my bill.
    06-01-08 06:04 PM
    I for one don't even see how this is debatable. Hello? Why were phones developed? To make calls! If you can't get coverage, nothing else matters. Data speeds (though at&t doesn't even have a 3G BlackBerry yet and Verizon's had them for over a year), the age of the phone, and GPS don't matter if you can't do on them what the device was made to do in the first place.
    06-01-08 08:50 PM
    I have att and for data I know verizon is faster... My gf has a pearl on vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 09:19 PM
    Dosent matter what phone you have or how soon you had it, if u don't have service you don't have service and with at&t this happens all too often. In my oppinion vzw is the way to go. Vzw is committed to having the best service of all carriers and will continue to do so.

06-01-08 09:41 PM
    I have VZW...
    and its been great so far~~
    But I gotta say, the data plan is expensive
    06-01-08 10:28 PM
    I have VZW...
    and its been great so far~~
    But I gotta say, the data plan is expensive
    isn't the same as att? $30?
    06-01-08 10:33 PM
    isn't the same as att? $30?
    Yes it is.

I have been a verizon customer for 6 plus years now, and I would not leave them for anything. All my calls go through, and their CSR have been nothing but great. They have corrected any mistakes that they made on my bill, or anything else.

I have never had AT&T so I can't comment on their service.

It is all what you want. I would not stay with a company that kept dropping my calls, or did not have service where I wanted or needed service.

But that is just me.
    06-01-08 10:43 PM
    Haven't you guys noticed that the AT&T commercials no longer say "with fewer dropped calls"? The reason is simply because it was totally false and proven by the FCC so they had to remove that quote from their commercials. I have Verizon Wireless and the service is the best in any area. Decide what's more important to you....great call quality and coverage everywhere is my priority. You can log into your verizon account and do esn swaps in a matter of seconds. Verizon phones are better in my opinion.
    06-02-08 12:26 AM
    I work for Verizon (not wireless) and will never switch from ATT.

Been with them forever, and the employee discount doesn't mean anything to me if I cant get good service and reception. Plus I love my little sim card too much.....
    06-02-08 02:43 AM
    I for one can't wait until Verizon gets on 4G with LTE (way before at&t gets there, I might add). When the two are getting the same phones at the same time, at&t will start losing customers left and right to verizon's superior coverage.
    06-02-08 03:37 AM
    its apples and oranges, you say tomato i say toomato. i will say this though, my mom has verizon and when we go to the grocery store she gets no reception and im at 4 bars. hmmmmmmm?? and yes you gotta take customer service into consideration, and verizon blows big time, i can say this because my wife had them. when she had a problem with the phone they told her to put her name on a list, lol the list had over 300 names on it all waiting for repairs and service. she told the verizon guy to take the cell phone shine it up real nice, now turn the s.o.b sideways and shove it up your candy @ss!!!!! i laughed and said to the guy as we were walking out "you smell what the customer is cookin"!!!!
    Last edited by glock858; 06-04-08 at 08:50 PM.
    06-04-08 08:48 PM
    she told the verizon guy to take the cell phone shine it up real nice, now turn the s.o.b sideways and shove it up your candy @ss!!!!!
    I doubt your "wife" actually said that. And why do you go grocery shopping with your mother if you're old enough to have a wife? Your story sounds quite fishy to me.

In regards to the list, I suppose you don't think it's fair that they go first come, first served? I guess at&t's method of getting to a couple customers an hour in no particular order is superior?

Yea, I'd be bitter to if I was on at&t, seeing as Verizon beats it in every category (customer service, coverage, customer satisfaction, etc.)
    Last edited by jta1188; 06-04-08 at 09:34 PM.
    06-04-08 09:31 PM
    Except in the amount of customers and customer growth... The customers must love crappy CS, coverage and satisfication as we now have 71.4 (or 71.6) million customers. We had a great first quarter, but then again that must mean more customers want bad service right?

Verizon - 67.2.

06-04-08 10:03 PM
    Except in the amount of customers and customer growth... The customers must love crappy CS, coverage and satisfication as we now have 71.4 (or 71.6) million customers. We had a great first quarter, but then again that must mean more customers want bad service right?

Verizon - 67.2.
    Your statement is non-sequitur. You know full well people are locked into 2-year contracts and many of them, despite how horrible the service they get from at&t, can't afford to pay the $175 ETF. If you want proof that Verizon's reputation is stronger than at&t's look here:

VZW improves metrics, adds 1.5 million new customers - RCR Wireless News

You'll find that Verizon added more customers in the first quarter of 2008 than at&t did. Total customers means nothing, and Verizon will soon be much larger if it purchases Alltel.
    06-04-08 10:37 PM
    I'm not being paid to advertise for none of the major carriers so IMO do whats best for you regardless what carrier it is

06-04-08 10:56 PM
    My point is that if AT&T was such a bad company, why did we add 1.3 millions customers? T-mobile only 981,000 subs (not counting SunCom merger.) There is no better carrier. There probably will never be one.
    06-04-08 11:08 PM
    i gotta laugh at the replies i have read about my post. i truly do believe now that there is a substandard of intelligence. Nuff said!!!
    06-04-08 11:08 PM
    i wouldn't choose verizon cause i don't want a crippled phone.'
    long as my reception is good enough to connect to data and make calls and text i'm good.
    06-04-08 11:10 PM
    jta1188
    1. the story is true (we dont play games in jersey)
    2. i am proud to say that i love my mother and i will do anything for the woman who brought me into this world and made me the man i am today.
    3. Semper Fi!!!!!! i know it's non-sequitur, but as a marine who served in desert storm, i get all excited when someone talks about my mother. you digg???
    06-04-08 11:27 PM
    My point is that if AT&T was such a bad company, why did we add 1.3 millions customers? T-mobile only 981,000 subs (not counting SunCom merger.) There is no better carrier. There probably will never be one.
    Because the American population is growing and more and more people are owning cell phones every day. Believe it or not, not EVERYONE in this world, or even this country, has a cell phone. Rarely does a cell phone company lose customers no matter how bad their service and coverage; Sprint was the first one in a while when they did it this year.

lol @ the "crippled phone" argument. I love how everyone says this about Verizon, but when you ask them what's crippled, their only answer is GPS. So you have to pay $10 dollars a month (in addition to the $30 you have no problem paying) to get GPS. It is SO CRIPPLED!
    06-04-08 11:53 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD