@ mechanic67 -

3G doesn't mean simultaneous voice and data. Hsdpa does. Look it up. Only 3G on gsm networks offer simultaneous voice and data (AT&T, tmobile). 3G cdma networks do not (verizon, sprint).

By the way, my storm2 shows 3G all the time. Maybe you didn't buy a 3G phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by eazymac; 12-06-09 at 09:44 PM.
    12-06-09 09:39 PM
    This was a very interesting read. it kept me hooked until the end. When it comes down to it i much rather stay with Verizon. My decision doesnt lay down because of coverage and what not, but what it does consist of is the unusual vibe i get from Sprint. I know its a little intangible but it is what it is. thanks for the effort you put into informing the crackberry nation. i especially appreciate it
    12-07-09 10:32 AM
    eazymac:The storm(9530) from verizon does not have the 3G icon with 4.7. When they updated to 5.0, one of the versions had it, and I believe subsequent ones took it out again. But from Verizon they do not have the 3G icon. And the info I posted, as stated, is straight from the manual(RIMS< not Verizon's). And I know you are wrong, because again, as stated in my post, when i had Sprint and in 3G I could use voice and internet simultaneously. Which is what RIM says the phone will do when the 3G icon is displayed. I copied that text right from RIM's webpage.
    Last edited by mechanic67; 12-16-09 at 01:39 AM. Reason: misspelled
    12-16-09 01:38 AM
    The current limits of CDMA technology that the carriers are providing doesn't allow for simultaneous Voice and Data sessions, Sprint or Verizon...

WiFi is a different story of course...
    12-16-09 05:23 AM
    And I know you are wrong, because again, as stated in my post, when i had Sprint and in 3G I could use voice and internet simultaneously. Which is what RIM says the phone will do when the 3G icon is displayed. I copied that text right from RIM's webpage.
    And I know your wrong, as ROC says above its not possible on CDMA. If thats important to you then consider TMO or ATT.
    12-16-09 12:35 PM
    This is the way a lot of things are financed in business - almost like a municipal bond.

No - that money is revenue-generating. On average, every telco dollar put into advertising returns $25 in revenue.

Take the salary of 10 employees out of the ad budget to avoid laying them off & you will then have to layoff 250 people AND you still have to lay off the first 10.

Something to look at, if you ever want to see this in action - unscientifically, of course. Watch what people use. You will probably find rabid NASCAR fans are much more apt to be carrying Sprint.

It's like let me buy 150.00 sneakers cause MJ wears them...never understood that......
    12-16-09 12:48 PM
    Regardless of the fact that you guys are addicts and abusers, and I'm a lowly noob, the information I posted was correct. I copied and pasted straight from the manual on the RIM website. It is also what came with my phone. I'm not sure about cdma and gsm. All I know is that I had Sprint, and I was able to be on the phone(call), and the internet at the same time. Did either of you bother to look at the manual? I see only one of you has Sprint, and you are in MN. The other 2 don't show where they are, but they are not with Sprint. So, since none of you have Sprint and live in my area(SoCal), maybe you should do a little research before coming on here and calling me either a) a liar or b) stupid. If I could post a link I would. This is the best I can do:
    docs dot blackberry dot com bs en bs smartphone underscore users bs deliverables bs 4576 bs BlackBerry underscore Storm underscore 9530 underscore Smartphone hyphen US dot pdf

dot is. bs is / underscore is _ don't forget to remove the spaces

And I'm not gonna come back and argue about this. I'm passing on the info. If you want to think you know everything because you have a lot of posts, that's your choice. Hopefully the other people that read this will do their own research. Better yet, maybe some Sprint users in my area will confirm what I have said. Of course you'll probably tell them they are wrong too.

This site has been very helpful to me. Just trying to give some info back to the community. Sorry to take everything so personal.
    12-16-09 03:56 PM
    Regardless of the fact that you guys are addicts and abusers, and I'm a lowly noob, the information I posted was correct. I copied and pasted straight from the manual on the RIM website. It is also what came with my phone. I'm not sure about cdma and gsm. All I know is that I had Sprint, and I was able to be on the phone(call), and the internet at the same time. Did either of you bother to look at the manual? I see only one of you has Sprint, and you are in MN. The other 2 don't show where they are, but they are not with Sprint. So, since none of you have Sprint and live in my area(SoCal), maybe you should do a little research before coming on here and calling me either a) a liar or b) stupid. If I could post a link I would. This is the best I can do:
    docs dot blackberry dot com bs en bs smartphone underscore users bs deliverables bs 4576 bs BlackBerry underscore Storm underscore 9530 underscore Smartphone hyphen US dot pdf

And I'm not gonna come back and argue about this. I'm passing on the info. If you want to think you know everything because you have a lot of posts, that's your choice. Hopefully the other people that read this will do their own research. Better yet, maybe some Sprint users in my area will confirm what I have said. Of course you'll probably tell them they are wrong too.

This site has been very helpful to me. Just trying to give some info back to the community. Sorry to take everything so personal.
    Mech....just a question. could it have been pages stored in your browser's cache?
    I am trying to understand because I didn't think it could be done according to what cdma tech allows, but I am curious how it was done in your case. I don't have sprint so I can't test it.

Added:
    I was in your town 2 yrs ago on business and with verizon and my motoq9m it wouldn't receive email until my call ended. Then they would flood my inbox.
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 12-16-09 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added more
    12-16-09 04:04 PM
    No. I had the phone for 6 months. I was browsing. Not looking at stored pages offline. Just go look at the manual. I gave you the address in my last post since you guys obviously think that I am lying when I say I copied and pasted that info from the manual.

Now remember, that manual is from RIM. It was in the box with my phone. I'm sure Verizon did not catch on to this. They also had their own manual in the box.

I also discussed this in length with a tech guy from RIM who I dealt with after upgrading my OS, and phone was freezing. He told me that "technically" Verizon was on a 3G network, but in reality they are not.
    12-16-09 04:11 PM

Wow, easy tiger. RIM does not equal carrier. All 3G means is "third generation" - literally. As in AT&T still is predominately 2.0G and 2.5G. 3G does not equal CDMA, exclusively, or GSM, exclusively. That's why both AT&T (3G GSM provider) and VZW (3G CDMA provider) advertise "3G". It's essentially meaningless.
    12-16-09 04:12 PM
    No. I had the phone for 6 months. I was browsing. Not looking at stored pages offline. Just go look at the manual. I gave you the address in my last post since you guys obviously think that I am lying when I say I copied and pasted that info from the manual.

Now remember, that manual is from RIM. It was in the box with my phone. I'm sure Verizon did not catch on to this. They also had their own manual in the box.

I also discussed this in length with a tech guy from RIM who I dealt with after upgrading my OS, and phone was freezing. He told me that "technically" Verizon was on a 3G network, but in reality they are not.
    Dude chill out.....I just asked if it was possible.
    I didn't call you out as lying about it. I said I don't have sprint and when I was in your area on verizon I told you what happened to me....
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 12-16-09 at 04:42 PM. Reason: toned it down.
    12-16-09 04:19 PM
    In google type:

3G voice and data simultaneously

you will see plenty of discussion on this. just for starters go to the post that starts with:sprint treo pro

here is what one guy says:"Yeah… I can definitely say that I was using both voice+data with my OLD Sprint 6700 PPC. So I don’t know what your talking about when you say that you can’t do this on EV-DO, especially EV-DO Rev A… Do your homework before you make claims like this. "

Of course on there as well people are saying he's wrong. But read on, and you will see.
    12-16-09 04:22 PM

My response... EXactly what I stated before...

The current limits of CDMA technology that the carriers are providing doesn't allow for simultaneous Voice and Data sessions, Sprint or Verizon...

The amount of posts I have has nothing to do with any of this... Facts are facts...
    12-16-09 05:17 PM
    I never said RIM was a carrier. This thread is titled " VZW vs. Sprint - The Reality ". I am simply stating a very obvious advantage Sprint has over VZW, at least with certain phones in certain areas. My point in specifying RIM, is that the phone has the capability to use voice and data simultaneously, but only when the 3G icon is showing. There is no 3G icon with the verizon os, at least initially. And now that my post count is high enough, here is that link:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...rtphone-US.pdf

see page 21
    Last edited by mechanic67; 12-16-09 at 05:51 PM.
    12-16-09 05:25 PM
    Well I spent hours online, and I guess i must have been imagining things, because everyone says the same thing. Maybe there was a fluke with the HTC Touch Pro and Sprint for a limited time. I read a few people who said they had the same thing as me, voice and data, but the overwhelming info out there makes me think I have lost my mind.

One thing that I know for absolute certainty is that internet speeds were much faster with sprint. Too bad there customer service sucks so bad.
    12-16-09 05:56 PM
    I never said RIM was a carrier. This thread is titled " VZW vs. Sprint - The Reality ". I am simply stating a very obvious advantage Sprint has over VZW, at least with certain phones in certain areas. My point in specifying RIM, is that the phone has the capability to use voice and data simultaneously, but only when the 3G icon is showing. There is no 3G icon with the verizon os, at least initially. And now that my post count is high enough, here is that link:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...rtphone-US.pdf

see page 21

R O C-then for crying out load get your damn facts straight.

Since the Storm is a global phone, if you're roaming on GSM (typically overseas), it will still show 3G (with 5.0), and you will be able to use the phone and browse the web simultaneously...

But on a CDMA network... No...

Its a very well known fact that it just isn't currently possible...

If you had a device with Wi-Fi... That may have been the culprit...

As far as speeds... The difference is neglibible... In fact, the Touch Pro speed just may have been faster than the BlackBerry, which is known to offer a poor browsing experience...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-16-09 at 06:00 PM.
    12-16-09 05:56 PM
    This doesn't have much to do with Sprint vs. Verizon, but I have a question maybe one of you can answer. I just bought a Sprint BB Curve. I believe the OS is 4.5 (The platform says 3.4 yadayada). Is it true that Sprint users can't send picture messages (MMS), I have been trying for hours and have read that it's not possible, and also that is is possible, so what's the deal? Is it just my phone?

Thanks,
    Emily
    12-17-09 08:17 PM
    I'm on Sprint. I do not have data and voice simultaneously.

I'm on Sprint. I can and have sent MMS with pictures.

12-17-09 08:29 PM
    I just got it to work; I did as suggested earlier in the thread and changed the picture size to small. It said it send it almost immediately but the other person didn't receive it for an hour. Could possibly be their phone. Glad I didn't have to call Sprint. (For today at least)
    12-17-09 08:32 PM
    Sprint customer service stinks. Other than that, I wish I had not changed. Obvious advantages of Sprint are the included navigation package that Verizon charges $9.99 a month for, as well as other apps. The other apps though are more of an issue of OS. There are just way more free apps available for Windows Mobile than Blackberry, which has nothing to do with carriers. Internet speeds are way faster with Sprint, at least for me.

Something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere on this site or anywhere else for that matter is that Verizon(at least in my area) does not have a true 3G network. They say they do but it is a lie, to a certain extent, although may be technically and legally accurate.

First off, when I was with Sprint I could be on the phone and the internet at the same time. Not so with Verizon. In the paperwork that came with my phone was something from RIM, not Verizon, that showed the signal icons and what they mean. I found that info here so you can see for yourself:
    Sorry I had to remove the link to post. Someone with the ability to post links please post or email me for the link.
    Verizon phones will not show the 3g icon. I called Verizon and was told that if my phone showed 1XEV I was connected to a 3G network, but that their phones didn't show the 3g icon. I was also told I would not be able to use voice and data at the same time. They still insisted it was 3G. I talked to someone at RIM who admitted that Verizon's network was not really 3G, but somehow they were lehally allowed to claim it was.

From the manual:
    3G icon: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    MMS messages and SMS text messages. You can use the phone and send
    and receive email messages or use the browser simultaneously.

It goes on to explain the other icons and what they mean, but 3G is the only one where you can use both voice and data at the same time.

Before you ask-Why did I switch from Sprint? I had an HTC Touch Pro and after the 8th one that was defective I asked them to give me my money back and give me a different phone. They refused. They did however offer to give me some box that I could connect to my internet cable modem to use at home because my reception was so bad. And not charge me the usual $10 a month fee. They also felt so bad for me they didn't charge me the early termination fee. Thinking of going back.
    The guy at RIM doesn't know the ins and outs of the verizon network, 3g simply means third generation network. Plus the reason why verizon phones had not until recently said 3g was due to marketing. There has been a big push due to marketing by customers asking if the phones were 3g, we would tell them that they are, the come back and ask what 1XEV means (1X=National Access and EV= Evdo Rev 0/A) so to make it easier for customers the companies that make the phones now put 3g so it is a solid understanding.
    12-18-09 03:55 PM
    Emily,
    You are correct this is a little off topic. However, you can send/receive MMS. I too had this same problem. You will need to download a software patch to your computer, then update your phone from your computer.
    I would check the BB website, if not there check with Sprint. I can't remember where I found it, but I will look for it. Unless someone else on here has it or knows exactly where to find it. I'll get back to you when I locate it again. I hope this helps.
    Good Luck!

This doesn't have much to do with Sprint vs. Verizon, but I have a question maybe one of you can answer. I just bought a Sprint BB Curve. I believe the OS is 4.5 (The platform says 3.4 yadayada). Is it true that Sprint users can't send picture messages (MMS), I have been trying for hours and have read that it's not possible, and also that is is possible, so what's the deal? Is it just my phone?

Thanks,
    Emily
    12-20-09 08:35 AM
    I would love to agree with you. However, I'm not sure I want to step into the messy idea of terms like 3g or 4g. There is no solid understanding of what 3g actually is, other than 3rd gen.
    There's too much ambiguity on the provider and end-user and how its used. IMO that's just a use to point fingers, to say the other guy is at fault.

I still think its best to stick with GSM, or CDMA with 1XEV, 1X, and 1x.
    This way its exact, clear and specific of what each carriers current capabilities and future projections are. This also show the phones capability of handling.

---If you don't know what your phone has or is capable of....do some research and ask questions.---

The guy at RIM doesn't know the ins and outs of the verizon network, 3g simply means third generation network. Plus the reason why verizon phones had not until recently said 3g was due to marketing. There has been a big push due to marketing by customers asking if the phones were 3g, we would tell them that they are, the come back and ask what 1XEV means (1X=National Access and EV= Evdo Rev 0/A) so to make it easier for customers the companies that make the phones now put 3g so it is a solid understanding.
    12-20-09 09:04 AM
147 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD